“Great buy! Excellent location!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Long Island, NY
“Great buy! Excellent location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My first trip to Washington, DC was made even better by staying at this Residence Inn. This hotel is in a perfect location. It is 2 blocks to the Metro Station that takes you right into DC. It also is two blocks from King Street which is a lovely little area with local shops & plenty of restaurants. It has a free trolley that can take you up & down this area, ending right down at the beautiful river. The staff was polite & very attentive. The hot breakfast was great! Some evenings they have a light dinner included, too. The room was neat & clean & had all the comforts of home with a full kitchen, too. A safe area, too, & a safe, locked area to park your car. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Room was standard for this type of property. Free breakfast was a madhouse and strictly for the very hungry and budget conscious. A pretty fair walk to the old town. You need to check in before you can park your car in the garage which is very inconvenient. Make no mistake, this is a 2 1/2 - 3 star property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay here....we were hoping to see the cherry blossoms but unfortunately, they are a week behind schedule! First, the good - every member of the staff that we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful, couldn't be any nicer. Second - the not so good. We had reserved a one bedroom suite but upon check in discovered we had a studio. We did arrive after midnight so I understand that we probably got the last room available but still.....we had made a reservation and paid in full in advance. Instead of adjusting the room price, they waived the pet fee as we had travelled with our dog....so all was well in the end. The room was fine....nothing to really complain about (or rave about either). I would recommend staying here....there is a free breakfast every day but we didn't partake as we chose to cook breakfast in our room. The location is great....just one block from King Street. Alexandria is a beautiful area and well worth the visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I do a decent amount of traveling so we've stayed in many different types of hotels. This hotel had the nicest staff we have ever come across. They went out of their way to make us comfortable, and really left a nice impression on our stay as well as our trip. The hotel was very clean, which I am always picky about our rooms and their level of cleanliness. Breakfast was typical, but the staff working breakfast was cheerful and willing to help. The shuttle service was a blessing, and was willing to go out of their way to help us get things we needed. The hotel is located within walking distance of a Whole Foods, restaurants, and the metro station. The room we stayed in had a small kitchen, a living room area, and a bedroom area. It was an open floor plan. The bathroom was roomy, and easy for both my husband and I to get ready in. I can't say enough good about this hotel. We will look for Residence Inn when we are traveling from here on out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is one of my favorite places to stay when visiting the DC area. The hotel is located about 3 blocks from Metro's King Street Station, making it easy to get in and out of DC without a car. My 1-bedroom room was equipped with a full-size refrigerator, 2-burner stove, a microwave, sink and dishwasher. There is a small store in the lobby, but Whole Foods is only about a block away. Free breakfast is provided every morning. Alexandria's King Street waterfront area is about a 15-20 minute walk away, and if you don't want to walk the hotel provides a shuttle upon request. The customer service at this Residence Inn is excellent. I was very impressed with the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great 2 bed, 2 bath suite for our 5 person family. 6 minute walk to the metro, Whole Foods nearby, free breakfast, used the free shuttle on a rainy day, not many restaurants within walking distance, but there is a free trolley that will take you to downtown Alexandria with lots of restaurant choices. The staff was very attentive and friendly. Best not to have a car in DC, metro is much easier. We would stay here again, less expensive than staying in DC, and plenty of space in the room. You may have to wait a minute for a table at breakfast, not a deal breaker. The breakfast is pretty good with potatoes, meat and eggs as well as cold items. They offer a free so-so dinner during the week, like hot dogs, nachos.. nice to have in a pinch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Let me start with background-I work in Florida, but was on temporary assignment to Washington DC in January and February 2013. My employer works on a "per diem" system, in that, if you are on time off, they will not pay for your lodging; they cover expenses as long as you are using the lodging for housing to complete the assignment.

I arrived at the Residence Inn Duke Street, being my first time ever in Alexandria, on January 6th. I was greeted by Katie and Tanitia at the front desk, who were very helpful in explaining the amenities, directions, and parking. They also advised me of the courtesy shuttle, which could take me anywhere within a mile of the hotel.

Two weeks into my stay, which was wonderful, I learned that my dog back home in Florida was dying of cancer-very quickly. I was devastated and wanted to go home. I wasn't able to take much time off from work, being on assignment, so I worked with my vet at home to determine when I should leave. I was upset also with the thought of having to empty everything out of my room to check out, drive back to Florida, pack everything back up, and drive back to finish my assignment. I was discussing this over the weekend with one of the managers, Najat, and she advised that I could actually store my stuff in a locked room on the first floor, leave my car in the garage, and fly home. This was such a relief-I just needed to figure out when to fly back. My vet called on Wednesday morning at 9:00 and told me that my dog only had a couple days left, and that if I wanted to see him, I should come home right away. There was a flight leaving at 11:45 that morning, and another one at 2:15. I called the front desk, and Christine said that she would send up someone with a cart for me to load my stuff, so that I could get on a flight. When Dean, from Loss Prevention arrived, and I explained the situation, he personally loaded everything onto the cart while I finished packing. He told me "you'll make that 11:45 flight-go ahead and book it, we'll see to it." Literally, he brought a second cart to finish loading everything and by 10:15, I was out of my room. When I saw Christine at the front desk, she handed me a tissue, had already ordered a cab, and told me not to worry about my car, that it would be fine in their garage. Dean had already loaded my carry-on luggage in the cab and told the driver to get me to the airport for an 11:45 flight. Honestly, with no other worries than getting home to my dog, I was at the airport by 10:40 and made the flight.

My dog passed away that Friday, and I called the hotel on Sunday to advise them that I would be returning early Tuesday morning. Christine answered the phone and told me that I would be going back into the room I had left, and that they would go ahead and check me back in that morning when I arrived, so that I could freshen up before going to work. When I arrived Tuesday morning, Katie was working the desk. When I handed her my claim tickets for my luggage she told me that they were not necessary, that they had already moved my luggage back into my room! When I got to my room, not only was everything there, but it was unloaded, off the carts, and set up so that I could easily find what I need to unpack quickly and get to work.

This was the finest example of the wonderful staff who took care of me the entire time I was there. When I didn't have any milk and had to go to work before breakfast was served, I called the front desk, and Dean brought me two cartons to have for my breakfast in the morning. Whenever it was raining, or snowing, or cold, I called from the metro on my way back to the hotel, and either Tanitia, Michael, Christine, Najat, or Katie would send the driver right over to pick me up at the metro station, so I didn't have to walk.

The food they served was excellent-in the morning and in the evening-and the drivers of the shuttle were fantastic about taking me anywhere else I wanted or needed to go.

If you want to have bragging rights about staying at a super-fancy, uber-posh hotel in Washington, DC, this is not the place for you. But, if you want to stay at a place which is very nice, extremely clean, serves great food, and has the best staff for service that I've ever had, who will treat you like royalty, then this is DEFINITELY where you should stay. I can assure you that whether I'm in the DC area for three days or three months, you'll find me at this Residence Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!