“Highly Recommended - Great Stay, Fabulous Staff, Clean Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Indiana
“Highly Recommended - Great Stay, Fabulous Staff, Clean Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I do a decent amount of traveling so we've stayed in many different types of hotels. This hotel had the nicest staff we have ever come across. They went out of their way to make us comfortable, and really left a nice impression on our stay as well as our trip. The hotel was very clean, which I am always picky about our rooms and their level of cleanliness. Breakfast was typical, but the staff working breakfast was cheerful and willing to help. The shuttle service was a blessing, and was willing to go out of their way to help us get things we needed. The hotel is located within walking distance of a Whole Foods, restaurants, and the metro station. The room we stayed in had a small kitchen, a living room area, and a bedroom area. It was an open floor plan. The bathroom was roomy, and easy for both my husband and I to get ready in. I can't say enough good about this hotel. We will look for Residence Inn when we are traveling from here on out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is one of my favorite places to stay when visiting the DC area. The hotel is located about 3 blocks from Metro's King Street Station, making it easy to get in and out of DC without a car. My 1-bedroom room was equipped with a full-size refrigerator, 2-burner stove, a microwave, sink and dishwasher. There is a small store in the lobby, but Whole Foods is only about a block away. Free breakfast is provided every morning. Alexandria's King Street waterfront area is about a 15-20 minute walk away, and if you don't want to walk the hotel provides a shuttle upon request. The customer service at this Residence Inn is excellent. I was very impressed with the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great 2 bed, 2 bath suite for our 5 person family. 6 minute walk to the metro, Whole Foods nearby, free breakfast, used the free shuttle on a rainy day, not many restaurants within walking distance, but there is a free trolley that will take you to downtown Alexandria with lots of restaurant choices. The staff was very attentive and friendly. Best not to have a car in DC, metro is much easier. We would stay here again, less expensive than staying in DC, and plenty of space in the room. You may have to wait a minute for a table at breakfast, not a deal breaker. The breakfast is pretty good with potatoes, meat and eggs as well as cold items. They offer a free so-so dinner during the week, like hot dogs, nachos.. nice to have in a pinch.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Let me start with background-I work in Florida, but was on temporary assignment to Washington DC in January and February 2013. My employer works on a "per diem" system, in that, if you are on time off, they will not pay for your lodging; they cover expenses as long as you are using the lodging for housing to complete the assignment.

I arrived at the Residence Inn Duke Street, being my first time ever in Alexandria, on January 6th. I was greeted by Katie and Tanitia at the front desk, who were very helpful in explaining the amenities, directions, and parking. They also advised me of the courtesy shuttle, which could take me anywhere within a mile of the hotel.

Two weeks into my stay, which was wonderful, I learned that my dog back home in Florida was dying of cancer-very quickly. I was devastated and wanted to go home. I wasn't able to take much time off from work, being on assignment, so I worked with my vet at home to determine when I should leave. I was upset also with the thought of having to empty everything out of my room to check out, drive back to Florida, pack everything back up, and drive back to finish my assignment. I was discussing this over the weekend with one of the managers, Najat, and she advised that I could actually store my stuff in a locked room on the first floor, leave my car in the garage, and fly home. This was such a relief-I just needed to figure out when to fly back. My vet called on Wednesday morning at 9:00 and told me that my dog only had a couple days left, and that if I wanted to see him, I should come home right away. There was a flight leaving at 11:45 that morning, and another one at 2:15. I called the front desk, and Christine said that she would send up someone with a cart for me to load my stuff, so that I could get on a flight. When Dean, from Loss Prevention arrived, and I explained the situation, he personally loaded everything onto the cart while I finished packing. He told me "you'll make that 11:45 flight-go ahead and book it, we'll see to it." Literally, he brought a second cart to finish loading everything and by 10:15, I was out of my room. When I saw Christine at the front desk, she handed me a tissue, had already ordered a cab, and told me not to worry about my car, that it would be fine in their garage. Dean had already loaded my carry-on luggage in the cab and told the driver to get me to the airport for an 11:45 flight. Honestly, with no other worries than getting home to my dog, I was at the airport by 10:40 and made the flight.

My dog passed away that Friday, and I called the hotel on Sunday to advise them that I would be returning early Tuesday morning. Christine answered the phone and told me that I would be going back into the room I had left, and that they would go ahead and check me back in that morning when I arrived, so that I could freshen up before going to work. When I arrived Tuesday morning, Katie was working the desk. When I handed her my claim tickets for my luggage she told me that they were not necessary, that they had already moved my luggage back into my room! When I got to my room, not only was everything there, but it was unloaded, off the carts, and set up so that I could easily find what I need to unpack quickly and get to work.

This was the finest example of the wonderful staff who took care of me the entire time I was there. When I didn't have any milk and had to go to work before breakfast was served, I called the front desk, and Dean brought me two cartons to have for my breakfast in the morning. Whenever it was raining, or snowing, or cold, I called from the metro on my way back to the hotel, and either Tanitia, Michael, Christine, Najat, or Katie would send the driver right over to pick me up at the metro station, so I didn't have to walk.

The food they served was excellent-in the morning and in the evening-and the drivers of the shuttle were fantastic about taking me anywhere else I wanted or needed to go.

If you want to have bragging rights about staying at a super-fancy, uber-posh hotel in Washington, DC, this is not the place for you. But, if you want to stay at a place which is very nice, extremely clean, serves great food, and has the best staff for service that I've ever had, who will treat you like royalty, then this is DEFINITELY where you should stay. I can assure you that whether I'm in the DC area for three days or three months, you'll find me at this Residence Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had to attend a burial at Arlington. Was kind of a surprise when we opened the curtains and realized we overlooked the Alexandria National Cemetery. I walked this small national cemetery with my kids.

The hotel was fair. It had a little kitchenette, foldout couch and small bedroom. The included breakfast was nice ... better than most in the modest cost category. The pool was so small that a good cannonball would empty it out.

Best part of our stay was the staff. Everyone was helpful and cheery.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside overlook the Alexandria National Cemetery.
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed while running the 1/2 marathon in DC. Great service. Incredible breakfast. Very child friendly. Only 2 blocks from King St. Metro. New and clean with nice big rooms. $18/ night parking was the only downside.

• Stayed March 2013
Lexington Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel was very clean and very friendly. Offered a very nice hot breakfast in the morning with a wide variety. We weren't able to take advantage of the shuttle transportation but will try next time in town. There is a parking fee ($18)nightly but not bad compared to DC and other locations in Alexandria however I drive a mid size SUV and anything larger may be a little tricky to get into and out of the parking garage because of the way it's set up but I did see larger vehicles in there. If driving down in to Old Town street parking is hard to find but there is a parking garage at Fairfax plaza for $2 all day(we were there during the weekend). My only complaint is that for some reason the end of the 8th floor is freezing!!! The way our door was positioned the air was blowing directly into our room even though the heat was on and we couldn't get comfortable and the comforter wasn't too thick so we had to ask for another comforter the 2nd night. Not sure if all floors are like this but we only noticed it at the end of he hallway. Other than that everything was nice and if we go back I will request a different location for a room. Definitely a great deal if you have little ones because the hot breakfast helps cut costs.

Room Tip: avoid room 804...very cold. cold air from hallway competes with hot air in room and hard to get it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!