“Great Place for a Family Reunion” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Houston, Texas
“Great Place for a Family Reunion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We held my wife's family reunion for 30 people at this hotel. It's easy to get to. We flew in to Reagan National and took the Metro to Alexandria and walked 5 minutes to the hotel. Others drove and used the parking at the hotel. The rooms were very spacious and had kitchens. We walked a couple of blocks to the Whole Foods store and stocked up our kitchen. This helped us save money on food. We were able to meet in the breakfast area at no charge. During the day, we toured Alexandria or caught the Metro into DC. We had a great time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My two “two and under” kids, husband and I stayed five wonderful nights in a 1 bedroom suite. The staff – from Ed the Asst. GM to Ishmael at the front desk to the accommodating cleaning crew were the most attentive, kind hotel staff I have ever encountered...even toward the kids. (I am terrible with names and remember these!!! Says a lot). The location is great…near the metro and WHOLE FOODS plus just a few blocks from King St. restaurants and shops. We will be back in a month or so on a second house hunting trip and can’t imagine staying anywhere else. My MIL joined us for a few nights and was put in a room across the hall. Perfect!

The room showed its age a bit, but was very clean. I had no trepidation about our 8-month-old crawl around.

Thank you so much!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Shaker Heights, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

If this location is convenient for your DC area visit, this is a good value option, especially if staying for a long time or traveling with family. We had a two bedroom two bathroom suite, which was comfortable for our family including two adult children. As with all residence inns, this one has a full kitchen, and there is a WHOLE FOODS one block away. The metro is VERY convenient, only a few easy blocks away. The heart of Old Town is within a reasonable walk as well.
This is not one of the newer RI properties, so it doesn't have the really hip design. However, the WINDOWS OPEN, which is really important to me, especially during the beautiful weather.
Included in the reasonable price is a full breakfast, which is average quality but very convenient. Also they have a complimentary happy hour with food, which is nice.
The staff was friendly. The pool is tiny with no outdoor access.

Room Tip: If you sleep with open windows, you might not want a room that faces the "courtyard", nois...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Branchburg, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

After booking a room here based on other trip advisor reviews, I had to leave one of my own. I stayed here two nights recently with my husband and 4 year old son, and compared to other hotels at the same price, it's my favorite. I slept like a baby--there was little noise in the hallways or from other rooms (which is usually what kills a stay for me). Plenty of room to move around; super friendly staff; excellent (free) breakfast buffet; newspapers at the ready and I even loved the toiletries they had and the little jar of hard candy on the table. They definitely pay attention to the details. Very impressed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stay at this hotel frequently and have never been disappointed. If there is a problem, they are quick to remedy it. Best location for visiting D.C.--short, easy walk to the King St. metro; a Whole Foods grocery a block away which will even cook your seafood for you; restaurants of every type within a couple of blocks. Safe area for walking around in the evening, even as a woman alone and there is a hotel shuttle for nearby areas if weather is bad or you are concerned about safety. The staff are professional and efficient. My favorite little "treat" is the 3 papers which are available (complimentary) daily. Parking is available or you can park on the street overnight for free. Rooms, breakfast area, exercise room always clean and fresh. Be aware this is a large hotel, often with many families with small kids so the breakfast area can be alittle hectic but that is a minor item--and often it is fun to see the kids before heading out for a day of business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had training to attend to in DC. I decided to stay outside of DC, to visit a new area (my husband was with me). The Old Town Alexandria area is great. Lots of shopping and great places to eat. The hotel was clean, no problems in our room. The bed was a bit soft, sinking toward the middle. They met the federal gov't rate. The hotel is an easy 3 blocks to the King Street metro station (I walked by myself, but the shuttle was available). The hotel is in a safe area. The breakfast was very good. At night they have free dinner plus each registered guest is entitled to 2 drinks. An example of evening meals was one night was lasagna, another was chili dogs. The hotel staff was nice, but not extremely helpful. The first night we asked where we could walk to to grab a sandwich, they suggested Whole Foods. We found a better choice, a local Irish Pub.
Free breakfast, free dinner and free internet in the DC Area? I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it is very close to the United States Patent and Trademark Office and fairly close to the King Street metro station. (I had to go to Capitol Hill as well and the commute was really not that bad.) I had stayed in a one-bedroom suite (being just slightly more in price compared to a standard room). The room was nice and spacious, Internet worked well, the bed was comfortable, and the room was quiet. (I could sleep without any problem.)

As others have said, this is fairly close to Whole Foods. The closest restaurant is just a half block away (same side of the street) - Laporta's. (The jazz band that they have playing there is excellent and the food is great.) The nearest drug store is several blocks away.

There was just one person at the front desk and the service was just so so. The hotel does have a complimentary shuttle and it was generally available (which was great).

I was only at the hotel for 2 days / 1 night. All in all, I was very satisfied with my experience, although my stay was relatively short.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!