“Please refresh” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Virginia
“Please refresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

The best thing going for this property is the friendliness of the staff. I was greeted warmly and made to feel like they cared that I was spending my money there. Actual customer service! Wow - a rarity! I got to check in early as requested at the time of my reservation, and the staff even radioed housekeeping to make sure my room had been made “feather-free” as requested. I didn’t have any real issues I needed to address with staff, but it was obvious that if I had, I would have gotten a prompt and professional response. Even the maintenance man taking a smoke break in the garage greeted me as I left and wished me a pleasant trip.

Regarding the actual property, it is in a great area – the Metro Red Line was two blocks up a slight hill, and there is indeed a Whole Foods two blocks away. One oddity was that there is a large cemetery right across the street on the back side of the property.

I was going to warn about the front doors through which one must maneuver the luggage cart – quite difficult when traveling alone. (At the time of my visit, there were two sets of manual double doors that had to be wrestled with while trying to move the luggage through the entry.) But I was delighted to notice a sign by the elevator saying they would soon be replacing them with automatic doors.

The parking garage is certainly not big car friendly; I drive a tiny car, and it seemed tight to me. It is “only” $18/overnight to park, which is less than many other DC area motels. The garage seemed safe and secure, as did the entire neighborhood.

Breakfast looked appealing – dietary restrictions kept me from eating any of it. The breakfast/dining area seemed plenty large enough, clean, and well organized. But the coffee from the breakfast area was not very good the morning I tried it. Decaf from the lobby later in the day was good, however.

The room was VERY clean, so I feel like the housekeeping staff is doing the best they can with what they have to work with. However, the furnishings in the room I was in are definitely beginning to show wear and tear. Carpet was stained in front of the entry door (traffic stains) and there were three large stains on the carpet in front of the bathroom sink. There was a sort of “dorm room/wet dog” smell about the sofa in the living area, and the easy chair had cracks in the upholstery and some fraying on the fabric. (If I did it right, there should be pictures posted with my review.)

There was not a separate bathroom fan, which I would have preferred. The a/c is a “central” type, with thermostat control on the wall, and the ability to run the fan alone for white noise. However, the fan ran very quietly and did not block out sounds from the street below or within the building. It was not terribly noisy – but I sleep lightly and always like an audible fan. There were strange knocking sounds throughout the time I was there – sounded like plumbing pipes banging, or sometimes like furniture being moved on the floor above. Take earplugs if quiet is a factor for your sleep.

Everything worked well as far as kitchen, TV’s (2 flat screens), internet, etc.

Overall, except for the shabby-not-chic furnishings, this property seemed like a good value for the area. Not sure I would go back unless the rooms are remodeled.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one that has been recently remodeled.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was a nicely kept hotel with suites, just perfect for a family, including 2 bedrooms and a full kitchen. About an 8 minute walk from the King Street metro (or a free hotel bus shuttle ride) and 1.5 blocks from Whole Foods, which was extremely convenient. They have a pool, open in the morning and evenings on weekdays, and all day on the weekend, which was small, but fine for the kids to splash in, plus a fitness center. Free breakfast with a couple of hot dish options and a free light dinner Monday thru Thursday. The staff was very helpful and friendly as well.

For kids, if you're going to be there in the summer, a great pool option is the Alexandria Old Town pool, only a few blocks away, which has a very low day rate for nonresidents. http://alexandriava.gov/Pools#outdoor_large_pools

We had a terrific stay here through Hurricane Irene, no less. We lost power for only a few hours and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Wilmington, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We really researched our best options for our trip with a 5 year old and 4 month old to Washington, D.C. and are really glad we stayed at this hotel. We travel frequently and were specifically looking for this set-up so we could all have our separate sleeping areas. We walked to the Metro station with the stroller and 5 year old walking without a problem. It was a few blocks away. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle to the Metro if desired. From experience in the past, we were much happier staying here than in the heart of D.C (traffic, etc.). Truly, what makes this hotel wonderful is it's location. It is in a very nice area of Alexandria, and Whole Foods is literally around the corner! I picked up food to pack for lunches everyday and food for dinner every night and brought it back to our hotel. It was a very quick walk. The rooms at the hotel are not excellent, but very good. It was very clean (no excess dust, tile was clean, everything neat). However, some of the furniture could use replacing. It's a bit outdated and the leather type chair had been rubbed on the arms, which really just affects the whole feeling of the living area. The staff at the hotel is *excellent* and *very* accommodating. We were having difficulty with the Wi-Fi/our computer, and they sent someone up immediately to fix it, even offering for them to look at our personal computer if we desired. The breakfast is your typical Residence Inn breakfast. We are picky eaters, but found the bananas always fresh, and cereal a nice option for us. It is laid out well and organized. The pool is in an older, closed in portion of the hotel. It felt small and just old. The pool was in great condition, and a lifeguard on duty, but it looked like one of the old pool areas in an old mansion! This is an older hotel but you can tell they have worked hard to keep it clean, as up to date as possible, and have a very nice staff. I would stay here again when visiting Washington DC with children.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Orange,Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed for 5 days while visiting DC. We had a 2 bedroom suite. It was clean and roomy. One bedroom/bath was larger than the other. A little mildew and mold in the bathtub grout, but nothing offensive. The only drawback on our specific room is we were up against the elevators, so there was a little noise from that, but we got used to it quickly. But if you are a light sleeper, you might ask for a different location. There was a nice parking structure attached to the hotel. Room key was required for any access, which was nice. Duke street is mainly row houses/residential further down the street. King street is 2 blocks over and where there are many restaurants and shops. They have a van that will take you over there. Not a bad way to go if you want to get to the far end of King st, which is almost 1 mile away. The metro was a 5-10 minute walk. It took about 20-30 minutes to get to the museums in DC. The hotel had a nice American breakfast each morning...scrambled eggs/sausage, cereal, toast, muffins,fruit... We didn't try the evening meals. Next store was a very good restaurant, Laportas, a little pricey though. 3 blocks away and across from the Metro, was Joe Theisman's restaurant and it was very good and a little more reasonably priced for the area. I thought Il Porta's down on King Street was good as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

This hotel is conveniently located in the Old Town of Alexandria. We had a two-room two-bath suite and it comes with a kitchen and full size refrigerator. You can call it an apartment. The rooms are clean and well maintained. A light breakfast is included, but if you need more food or miss it, Whole Foods is 2 blocks away on the same street, and quite a few restaurants to choose from. The hotel is just a few blocks away from the King Street metro station, very convenient for going downtown. The Orange Line takes you directly to the Capitol and Smithsonian; also you can get a one day pass for Metro and ride as many times as you want in a day. The hotel staffs are friendly and helpful. We will go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed at this hotel August 14 to 17, 2011. The room was beautiful! The kitchenette was modern, with newer appliances, granite countertops, beautiful wood cabinets, and laminate wood flooring. Best of all, the bedroom was completely separate from the living room/kitchenette, with a door that closed. Both the living room and bedroom had nice, flatscreen TV's. The view from my room was lovely.

Every staff member was courteous and helpful. The daily breakfast was delicious. I can't comment on the manager's reception, because there are too many wonderful restaurants in Old Town Alexandria, so I chose to dine out in the evenings.

There is a Whole Foods two blocks from the hotel. Since my stay was short I did not grocery shop, but it's handy to have a grocery store nearby.

The only disadvantage to this hotel is that it does not have an airport shuttle. However, the hotel has a shuttle that will pick you up/drop you off within a mile of the hotel. The Metro is three blocks from the hotel, and you can either walk or take the shuttle. When I arrived at the airport I only had a small suitcase and laptop, so I chose to take the Metro to King Street and then walked to the hotel. My co-workers had large suitcases, so they Metro'd in to King Street and then called the hotel shuttle.

Another thing that some might perceive as a disadvantage is the distance from the King Street Metro stop to downtown DC. If you are traveling for business and have to Metro to DC in the mornings, you might want to stay closer. Personally, I enjoy Old Town Alexandria so much that it was worth the longer commute.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Their are two parts to my review, the hotel itself and customer service.

First the hotel:
This rooms and facilities are fairly typical of this brand. The rooms clean and comfortable with the convenience of separate rooms and kitchen. The public areas are nice with the breakfast area located on the first floor. The gated parking garage can be a bit tight for large vehicles. The highlight of this hotel is the location. Within walking distances to the Metro station and Old Town. There are free shuttles that run up and down King Street, but we found it more convenient to walk, especially after a big dinner at one of the many great restaurants in the area! There is also a Whole Foods market just one block away, perfect for loading up on (healthy) supplies!

We found this hotel to be the perfect 'base' for our trip, with convenient access by Metro or car. It's much easier to drive to/from here than when I've stayed in DC itself.

As for customer service:

The reason for my review title is due to a significant lapse in communication by the staff which resulted in a serious disruption to our stay at this hotel. Suffice to say the disruption caused our family a significant amount of stress which was all due to a lack of procedural checks and balances. HOWEVER, the onsite manager and General Manager were extremely responsive and apologetic for the situation and made extra efforts to get everything back in order and make up for the incident. I especially want to call out the response and follow up by the General Manager who didn't hesitate to follow up with us.

By itself, I would rate this a four Very Good TripAdvisor "dots", however the way the GM managed the service issue makes this a five plus dot rating due to the excellent customer service. Typically most of the time customer service is based on experiences where there are no problems, however a true assessment is when things don't go well. Again, I credit the GM for how he handled our situation both during and after. A true demonstration of exemplary customer service WHEN it counts!

Bottom line is I will stay here again the next time we're in the area!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family