My family (husband, myself, and 7 year old son) spent 8 nights at the Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria, VA last week. We were in a Studio 1 queen and 1 sofa bed room. (Room 824 to be specific) I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I highly recommend it to a family travelling to DC or visiting Northern Virginia.
1. The hotel is extremely clean. All areas (room, indoor pool, Hearth Room, etc.) were maintained impeccably. I am very particular about cleanliness and I was not disappointed.
2. The Metro Station is 2 blocks from the hotel. We arrived at midnight via the Metro and felt safe walking to our hotel. We used the Metro to go to and from Washington DC as well as Mount Vernon for our entire stay. BTW look into getting a weekly pass from http://www.wmata.com/. It is WELL WORTH THE MONEY if you are going to be in DC for 1 week. The Metro was a great way to see the sights and much less expensive than renting a car and paying to park your car at the Residence Inn each night. ($18/night is a bit steep Residence Inn.) Reagan International Airport is 2 stops north on Metro. It takes about 20 minutes to get to DC (Smithsonian area) from this Metro stop.
3. Great FREE breakfast and evening social light meal. Every morning you have your choice of a variety of breakfast options that alternate daily including: eggs, sausage, ham, biscuits, gravy, pancakes, baggles, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, juices, milk, and seasoned red potatoes. During the evening hours between 5:30 and 7:00 PM Mon-Thurs. a FREE light dinner is served. Each night different meals are served. For example, one night we had stuffed bell peppers, mashed potatoes, and salad. There is also fountain drinks with Pepsi products and Iced Tea available. You also receive 2 FREE Budweiser, Bud Light, or a small selection of wine choices. This really saved us A LOT of money as the price of food is high in the area.
4. Full size kitchen in all rooms. It was really nice having a refrigerator, microwave, and cook top available in our room. We were able to eat in our room 2 nights to save money.
5. Close to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment on King Street. Old Town Alexandria offers a free trolley that runs from the Metro Station the length of King Street which is about 1.5 miles. Catch the trolley to the harbor area and watch the sunset on the Potomac while eating some yummy Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. You can also walk to King Street if you are up to it. It takes about 25 minutes to walk to the harbor from the Residence Inn. Old Town Alexandria is quaint and should be explored. We did a scavenger hunt I found online at http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/oha/info/ScavengerHunt.pdf. My son had a blast leading us around the brick lined streets to find all of the stops. We never did find the fire station though… My favorite thing was finding the church where George Washington attended. The day we did the hunt the church was open. I highly recommend going inside to see the church. It was very interesting.
6. Whole Foods grocery store is close by at .2 miles from the hotel.
The only bad thing I can say about this hotel is the pillows were less than great. We had down pillows even though we requested foam at reservation. I did not complain to the front desk but I bet if I had it would have been taken care of promptly. When we were shorted on towels I called front desk and within 15 minutes the towels were brought to our room.
No view but really quiet in RM 824.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.