“Very nice hotel in great location to King Street Metro Station” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very nice hotel in great location to King Street Metro Station”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

This is a very nice hotel to stay at while visiting Washington DC. The location only two blocks from the King Street Metro Station made it so easy to travel into Washington each day. That was definitely a huge plus for our family. The other reason for staying at this hotel is that the rooms are all suites with full kitchens. We stayed in a studio which was plenty of room for three persons. It was very clean and nicely decorated. The hot breakfast each morning had alot of choices, and they even serve a complimentary dinner on weekdays. The hotel price point and cost for parking were the only negatives. Overall, the location and kitchen makes it a great choice while visiting DC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Great friendly staff, nice suite, decent breakfast-however we had a diabetic that required ice each day, and while we told the front desk on Sunday upon check in the ice maker did not work, then again monday and tuesday, and finally wednesday morning...icemaker was finally replaced wednesday afternoon. That evening we had six icecubes from the machine.Upon check out the problem was given the cold shoulder--this is not the Marriott chain I am familiar with!!!

Room Tip: stay at another residence inn
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
AlexandriaHotelMgt, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Thank you for all of your comments. We sincerely appreciate all feedback. I appreciate your nice comments about the staff, suite and breakfast. I am sorry that your icemaker did not work and was not repaired in timely manner. I understand that our Front Office Manager was able to address the situation and provide an acceptable solution. I am available to discuss further if it is convenient to you.

Thank you for your comments.

Mike
Palestine, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

My family (husband, myself, and 7 year old son) spent 8 nights at the Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria, VA last week. We were in a Studio 1 queen and 1 sofa bed room. (Room 824 to be specific) I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I highly recommend it to a family travelling to DC or visiting Northern Virginia.
Pros:
1. The hotel is extremely clean. All areas (room, indoor pool, Hearth Room, etc.) were maintained impeccably. I am very particular about cleanliness and I was not disappointed.
2. The Metro Station is 2 blocks from the hotel. We arrived at midnight via the Metro and felt safe walking to our hotel. We used the Metro to go to and from Washington DC as well as Mount Vernon for our entire stay. BTW look into getting a weekly pass from http://www.wmata.com/. It is WELL WORTH THE MONEY if you are going to be in DC for 1 week. The Metro was a great way to see the sights and much less expensive than renting a car and paying to park your car at the Residence Inn each night. ($18/night is a bit steep Residence Inn.) Reagan International Airport is 2 stops north on Metro. It takes about 20 minutes to get to DC (Smithsonian area) from this Metro stop.
3. Great FREE breakfast and evening social light meal. Every morning you have your choice of a variety of breakfast options that alternate daily including: eggs, sausage, ham, biscuits, gravy, pancakes, baggles, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, juices, milk, and seasoned red potatoes. During the evening hours between 5:30 and 7:00 PM Mon-Thurs. a FREE light dinner is served. Each night different meals are served. For example, one night we had stuffed bell peppers, mashed potatoes, and salad. There is also fountain drinks with Pepsi products and Iced Tea available. You also receive 2 FREE Budweiser, Bud Light, or a small selection of wine choices. This really saved us A LOT of money as the price of food is high in the area.
4. Full size kitchen in all rooms. It was really nice having a refrigerator, microwave, and cook top available in our room. We were able to eat in our room 2 nights to save money.
5. Close to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment on King Street. Old Town Alexandria offers a free trolley that runs from the Metro Station the length of King Street which is about 1.5 miles. Catch the trolley to the harbor area and watch the sunset on the Potomac while eating some yummy Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. You can also walk to King Street if you are up to it. It takes about 25 minutes to walk to the harbor from the Residence Inn. Old Town Alexandria is quaint and should be explored. We did a scavenger hunt I found online at http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/oha/info/ScavengerHunt.pdf. My son had a blast leading us around the brick lined streets to find all of the stops. We never did find the fire station though… My favorite thing was finding the church where George Washington attended. The day we did the hunt the church was open. I highly recommend going inside to see the church. It was very interesting.
6. Whole Foods grocery store is close by at .2 miles from the hotel.
CONS:
The only bad thing I can say about this hotel is the pillows were less than great. We had down pillows even though we requested foam at reservation. I did not complain to the front desk but I bet if I had it would have been taken care of promptly. When we were shorted on towels I called front desk and within 15 minutes the towels were brought to our room.

Room Tip: No view but really quiet in RM 824.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed at the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town during a recent trip to Old Town for a wedding. I stayed a total of three nights and had a rental car during my stay.

This hotel is likely one of the top spots to stay in Alexandria. I was provided a two room suite with a kitchen, living room area, and bedroom. There was plenty of space, and the room was in excellent condition. There was even free popcorn in the room. They provide a decent free breakfast in the morning, as well as snacks and two free alcoholic drinks (beer or wine) in the evening. Phenomenal.

The staff was all very friendly and helpful. Note: the snack store next to the front desk will not sell alcohol to you between the hours of midnight and 6 am, despite how convincing you may think yourself to be.

They also maintain a free shuttle that will generally take you anywhere within Old Town. Tip your driver.

The location is great and is a couple of blocks away from King Street for some good pubs. It is a bit far of a walk for some other good areas in Old Town, but again, there is a shuttle to help you with that.

Parking in their adjacent parking structure is $18 a day - steep, but if you are staying during the weekend, you can park on the street behind the hotel for free. The stops are metered, and during the business week, they require money between 8 am to 5 pm.

They told me there was free wi-fi, although I did not make use of it.

The gym was nice, and featured plenty of cardio equipment and some machine weights. There was even a pool here, although it was indoors and somewhat small. Probably good for your kids.

All in all, I didn't have any complaints about this facility. Tons of perks, great service, huge room, and good location.

I give this hotel 5 stars for its class.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
WNY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

This was our second trip to Alexandria (and this hotel). The hotel was great, as expected. Checkin was a breeze, rooms were clean and comfortable, and free breakfast is MORE than adequate,offering everything from eggs, sausage, home-fries, hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt,waffle machine........ The hotel is a two block walk to the metro rail, and a very short drive to DC. There is a Whole Foods store two blocks from the hotel, reasonably priced. We ordered pizza one night. $37.00 for two large pizzas, but very tasty. We walked several blocks to dinner at King Street Blues restaurant (good food, and you can print a coupon in the lobby for bogo dinner). It is safe to walk around there at night, a very nice area. My daughter asked for soft kleenex in her room (bad cold) and a extra blanket for the sofa bed, and it was delivered by the time we returned that evening. Just a very relaxing hotel, no noise from a/c units or toilets/showers or other rooms. We will definitely choose this hotel every time we visit Alexandria.The pool(indoor) is only 4ft deep, and has a lifeguard watching your every move. Good for families with little children, but a little too small for adults.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I stayed @ the residence inn alexandria old town may 28-30. i paid $61 a night on priceline. priceline tip rates most residence inns as 3 star hotels ( i also stayed @ the residence inn in DC via priceline $72 a night), but i feel like the quality of the hotel was beyond 3 stars. I've stayed @ the hilton in alexandria & hawthorne suites and so far im most pleased with the residence inn. its close to the king street train station, the shuttle will also give you a ride within a 1 mile radius. the hotel is also near the ferry station that takes you to the National Harbor and Potomac harbor. The complimentary breakfast is great, but the lines on a holiday weekend can be very long. the room was extremely clean. i had a full kitchen, a nice leaving area and bathroom. it was obvious that i was placed in a handicap accessible room, so i believe my room and bathroom was larger than the normal studio suites. bed slept great, i heard no noise and tv was large and flat screen. i had no complaints, the customer service was awesome. the staff wasn't overly friendly which i find when I stay in hotels that are rated 4-5 star, the staff was able to answer most of my questions.

i would definitely stay here, the neighborhood is safe and extra cute. you are really close to DC & Arlington. The local whole foods is less than 2 blocks from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

All in all exceeded our expectations. We stayed five nights in a wonderful suite. Love the breakfasts, the helpful friendly staff and convenient location within walking distance of the metro and Old Town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends