“A Cut Above” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Mainer
“A Cut Above”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We have stayed at many Res Inns, this one is definitely a cut above the others. The exterior is brick, in keeping with the historic district, and was certainly more attractive than any other RI we've stayed. We asked for a quiet rm, and woman said one was very quiet but distant from the elevators, the other closer to elevator and street but still quiet. She was correct - rm was still very quiet while being convenient to elevator.
The liv room area seemed somewhat larger than other RIs, and was clean and nicely furnished. We liked that the room had 2 separate closets and 2 sets of drawers - one in liv room, the other in bdrm. Our daughter slept on sofabed and had convenience of having all their clothes in that area, and not in bdrm.
The bedrm itself was standard size, loved that bed was double sheeted and lamps by each side of bed were easy to turn on/off for reading in bed and had an outlet for recharging phone - nice touch. Sink was o/side the shower/toilet which is great when everyone's getting ready at same time. Both bedrm and liv rm had their own flat screen tvs.
Breakfast selection was also better than at other RIs, four hot dishes that changed each day and both bagels and eng muffins were avail in whole wheat (in addition to plain ones), and area kept clean even when very busy. As others have mentioned, the free shuttle was excellent and will take you anywhere w/in a mile of the hotel. That doesn't sound far, but that mile encompasses most of the restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
Another nice touch was the three free newspapers avail ea day in the lobby - Wash Post, USA Today or WSJ.
A few negatives (but not major). First is we kept having to request additional towels, face cloths etc. Even tho we were registered for 3, they kept giving us only 2 towels, etc.
Second, we received incomplete directions several times. We asked how to get to Metro and was told to take a left at hotel entrance and go 2 blocks. After searching and asking, we found that Metro was not on same street but you needed to turn up a separate street, and cross another to get to it. Metro is still easy walk, but directions should have specified turns needed. Same thing happened when we asked for directions to restaurant (Joe Teismans - good pub fare and salads) - they told us just to walk 2 blks. Again, they never mentioned the turn needed. We were surprised they didn't just show us on a map.
The other negative is true of most RIs where we've stayed and continues to puzzle. We stayed Fri - Tues, so in order to get the reduced weekend rate for Fri -Sun we had to ck out on Mon morning, and ck in again! If we didn't do this we'd be charged the much higher weekday rate for all nights. I don't understand why they can't just charge you a different rate on different nights, or take the aver and charge that for ea night. Altho we did not have to move to a diff room, we did have to wait in line to ck in/out, and to get new keys. Inconvenient. Other hotels that we've stayed at do not do this, the bill simply shows the diff room rates for the diff nights.
But, all in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. The attention to detail was really outstanding - from the variety of newspapers to the thoughtful room design. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
Oradell, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Stayed in the two bedroom suite arriving on Easter Sunday. I have traveled all over the world and the check in here I have to say was one of the best I have even experienced. My children and I were greeted warmly (even giving my girls two little teddy bears with Residence Inn on them - nice touch!). All questions about the local area and restaurants were answered very well, maps provided and we were off to enjoy this lovely town. I am a Marriott Rewards member and requested a quiet room on a high floor. The receptionist explained rooms were fairly close to an elevator but they had never had a noise complaint. I must say this was true! Although, I have to say we did hear some traffic noise from our room although the road seemed to be quite a distance away. Rooms and common areas were spotless, staff was extremely courteous and helpful. I asked for extra towels and blankets and they were brought straight away. Room was clean and updated. Kids used the pool - which to my surprise had a lifeguard on duty - and it was clean and well kept. I used the laundry room which was again clean and in working order - even tables and chairs provided so you could wait and play cards for your laundry. We did the breakfast in the morning which was pretty much what you would need to get a start on your day. I would definitely stay here again. We had a really nice time. The town is really charming. We ate at LaTorno (I can't remember the name) but right next door to the hotel on the right. It was one of the best meals we have had in a long time and boy was the price right. Two entrees and a decent bottle of wine for $28!!!! Kids meal was 9.99 each though. Live music playing, great cocktails, wonderful service, definitely worth a try. It doesn't look like much from the outside, my daughter insisted on trying it, and after checking great reviews on opentable.com , boy were we happy we tried it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Our school band (60 people) stay there for 3 nights and it was a great experience. The hotel was very accommadating to us and very helpful. Breakfast had a wide variety. The staff is very helpful, especially Yessica and Erin, the Front Desk Manager. Will definately stay again

Room Tip: If you need anything, talk to Yessica
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Fall River, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I scored a great deal for lodging here on one of the search engines. Our family of four stayed in Alexandria for a week. I can recommend a stay at this Residence. The staff, any and all included, could not be more accommodating or friendly. The room for four was spacious and had just about all the amenities we needed lacking only a dvd player. Two rooms, 2 tvs, full size refridge, dishwasher, micro, stove top, silverware, dishes....A comfortable bed and linens, a sofa bed ( my kids said it was okay ) A complimentary breakfast buffet every morning, complimentary food offering in the late afternoon. Free shuttle service on demand into Old Town or the surrounding area. We decided to stay in town longer than expected. We could not be accommodated here, it was april vacation time in the north east. We took a room at another local hotel with a higher "star" rating for a few more days. Without a doubt, this hotel could not compare to the Residence Inn. My son best described the posh hotel as being "Chrome". All show with no go.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Fairbanks, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Love the rooms, kitchenette, desk, internet, living room, great layout - loved the location and the rooms!

• Stayed April 2011
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

The hotel is not the fanciest but it has great amenities like a kitchen so bring a cooler with you of your favorite snacks . During the week they serve dinner and cocktail hour. That means 2 glasses of wine or 2 beers per person, but I am fussy about wine so I forgot to bring my own and we scouted some stores but no one had my brand so bring your own to keep in the room they provide wine glasses. The bed was very comfortable and the people are very friendly we will definitely be going back next spring,. Every morning they serve a great breakfast from hearty to healthy. We dined at Hanks if you like seafood its right downtown and the shuttle will take u there...outstanding. We went to Mt.Vernon which is 7 miles from the hotel and for lunch we ate at the Inn instead of the food court you might have to wait for a table which we did about 25min but the pulled pork sandwhich was worth it. The Old Ebbitt Grill in D.C. is wonderful make a reservation before you go so u won't have to wait 90 min. Try the Founding Farmers we went last year that is where Barack and Michele eat on date nite sometimes. It is reasonable also make a reservation. Enjoy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I stayed here with extended family to attend a funeral. The entire staff at this hotel was very helpful and nice from housekeeping, front desk and shuttle driver. We did utilize the shuttle and the driver was extremely polite and helpful. It seemed as though everyone was happy to help you. The room was clean, up to date, and very quiet. I enjoyed having the full kitchen because there is a Whole Foods grocery store within two blocks and I could store my groceries. The hotel was within walking distance to many restaurants, galleries and shopping. We did eat breakfast each morning and it was a full breakfast with many items to choose from. We also ate dinner one evening which is offered Monday through Thursday nights and it was very good. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!