“Definitely don't take your young children” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Medieval Madness

Medieval Madness
710 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
+1 703-329-3075
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 38 attractions in Alexandria
Type: Dinner Theaters
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Medieval Madness Feast is located inside John Strongbow's Tavern. It features medieval entertainment that incorporates the arts and history to join people and communities in fun and good fellowship. Reservations include a four-course feast with dishes like Gallentyn Pye, Chicken Skewers Roasted in Plum Sauce, Three-berry tart and more. Food and seating are arranged family style. Reservations required.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Definitely don't take your young children”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went on a Sunday afternoon, because of the information on their website that said it was a show that was toned down for children. I even asked when I made the reservation if it was appropriate for a ten year old, because I didn't want to buy tickets otherwise. I can hardly imagine what their other shows must be like, because it did not seem toned down to me. There were signs and conversations about beer and naked ladies throughout the show, and some of the language was questionable during the play. Though the description on their website mentions exciting action right in front of your table, there was just one sword fight during the evening. The food was okay, but nothing great. I would never go again, and I would definitely not take my child.

Visited March 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“no utensils? what is this? the cavemen times?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My hubby and I love going to dinner shows. So I had big expectations when I came here especially with all the raving reviews. But this one was a sort of a let down.

The setting is in a dark long hallway type room that is dressed with medieval decor. Every staff member spoke in Old English and dressed their part.

Pros:

+friendly staff,
+ included with your meals are two free ales or one raspberry meed sparkling wine
+ random touches of history
+ intimate setting
+ adutl setting
+ fun atmosphere and great decor
+ interactive

Cons:
+not family friendly,( I wouldn't ever take my daughter here and wouldn't recommend anyone under age 16 as the jokes are raunchy)
+bland and disappointing food
+boring story line
+not enough sword fights

Normally you can't expect food to be good at dinner shows but this by far is the worst of all the shows we've been to. You eat family style here (I have no problem with that and it's kind of fun) but basically includes plenty of normal tasting bread, whipped butter, random fruit like blueberries and grape, two decent tasting sausages, bland rosemary chicken, bland but soft roast beef, cinnamon carrots, and yam puffs (looks like potato tater tots but are yams) and a piece of nothing-special pound cake. Also two sauces: honey pear sauce and honey mustard. I used a lot of the sauces and salt to make my food edible.

The comedy and show was lackluster and left something to be desired. The sword fight at the end was probably the best part of the show. They did try their best but it was kind of boring. I wish they did more of the sword fight and less random talking unless they can make the show funnier.

The Raspberry Mead Wine as mentioned above is a light sweet red wine made with fermented honey. It wasn't bad and fun to drink. The ale was light and tasty (I don't normally drink beer but it wasn't bad albeit I really only drank sips here and there). They had more beer and wine in the back if you wanted to purchase your own.

Word of caution: THERE ARE NO UTENSILS! You eat with your hands which I don't get. Did they not have utensils back in the day? I thought this was medieval times, not the caveman times. There's just no reason to be eating my roast beef with my fingers.

So in conclusion, this place was fun and would I come again? Only if invited for a party or event otherwise I wouldn't return on my own.

Visited February 2013
Reston
21 attraction reviews
“Medieval Fun and Laughs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been to Medieval Madness several times over the past 2 years or so and it just keeps getting better. This is a locally owned and operated dinner theater, with original shows set in the Middle Ages that incorporate current events. They change their shows about every 3-4 months so it's always fresh. Because it's small and it encourages audience participation, you get a feeling of being a part of the spectacle, as opposed to just being part of an audience. And the shows encourage participation so there's lots of ad-libbing on the part of the actors so it's pretty funny.

The food uses recipes and ingredients that were traditional in the middle ages, though on occasion, there is some stretching to their interpretation of traditional :). The food is good, for the most part, and plentiful. You share long trestle tables so you do get to know your neighbors. It comes with 2 beers or one glass of mead and they have a full bar. Many of their beers and wines come from breweries and vineyards that have been around since the middle ages so that's fun.

In all, they're really serious about providing an authentic experience (with the comforts of the 21st century) and in providing a good time for their patrons. IMO, they succeed magnificently.

Visited January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“A fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

A friend enticed me to go - we had vouchers from Living Social or Google or one of those - and I was initially skeptical. As a history buff, I went in with mild interest and low expectations. But I had a great time!

The staff really commits to their roles and clearly enjoy what they do. The food was better than I'd thought (really liked that cinnamon pear sauce, especially on the roast beef), and 2 drinks were included in our voucher - the food and beer were authentic and tasty. The serving wenches paid us a lot of attention, which was nice.

The show itself was clever and sprinkled with history bits, and I noticed that everyone around me really got into the spirit of things - though 2 beers will help with that - and even the tweens there had a blast.

Definitely an original evening of entertainment, and I'd be happy to return.

Visited January 2013
Vienna
10 attraction reviews
“A for Effort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

While the whole idea is fun - the execution could use some work. The premise of joining a Duke and Duchess in their castle for dinner is pretty cool. The venue is well done, but the execution is a bit lacking.

The show is entertaining - but no the laugh out loud comedy and humor I was expecting. The eat with your hands part worked out OK - but the food was pretty underwhelming. Sausages were good, the roast beef was nothing to write home about. The chicken was not very good. The pound cake dessert was a dud.

I might go back again - but not too soon. Medieval Madness is a kind of place I would consider taking friends who are visiting here in the Metro DC Area ... but the problem is value for the $$$. With the same budget I can think of many places I'd spend my money before I rush back.

The sword fight was fine, and I did appreciate the humor and personal attention paid to us by our Wench (waitress).

I went using one of the social media coupon/discount promotions.

Visited December 2012