“Medieval Fun and Laughs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Medieval Madness

Medieval Madness
1121 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
(703) 329-3075
Website
Update attraction details
Ranked #17 of 37 attractions in Alexandria
Type: Dinner Theaters
Attraction Details
Reston
18 attraction reviews
“Medieval Fun and Laughs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been to Medieval Madness several times over the past 2 years or so and it just keeps getting better. This is a locally owned and operated dinner theater, with original shows set in the Middle Ages that incorporate current events. They change their shows about every 3-4 months so it's always fresh. Because it's small and it encourages audience participation, you get a feeling of being a part of the spectacle, as opposed to just being part of an audience. And the shows encourage participation so there's lots of ad-libbing on the part of the actors so it's pretty funny.

The food uses recipes and ingredients that were traditional in the middle ages, though on occasion, there is some stretching to their interpretation of traditional :). The food is good, for the most part, and plentiful. You share long trestle tables so you do get to know your neighbors. It comes with 2 beers or one glass of mead and they have a full bar. Many of their beers and wines come from breweries and vineyards that have been around since the middle ages so that's fun.

In all, they're really serious about providing an authentic experience (with the comforts of the 21st century) and in providing a good time for their patrons. IMO, they succeed magnificently.

Visited January 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“A fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

A friend enticed me to go - we had vouchers from Living Social or Google or one of those - and I was initially skeptical. As a history buff, I went in with mild interest and low expectations. But I had a great time!

The staff really commits to their roles and clearly enjoy what they do. The food was better than I'd thought (really liked that cinnamon pear sauce, especially on the roast beef), and 2 drinks were included in our voucher - the food and beer were authentic and tasty. The serving wenches paid us a lot of attention, which was nice.

The show itself was clever and sprinkled with history bits, and I noticed that everyone around me really got into the spirit of things - though 2 beers will help with that - and even the tweens there had a blast.

Definitely an original evening of entertainment, and I'd be happy to return.

Visited January 2013
Vienna
10 attraction reviews
“A for Effort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

While the whole idea is fun - the execution could use some work. The premise of joining a Duke and Duchess in their castle for dinner is pretty cool. The venue is well done, but the execution is a bit lacking.

The show is entertaining - but no the laugh out loud comedy and humor I was expecting. The eat with your hands part worked out OK - but the food was pretty underwhelming. Sausages were good, the roast beef was nothing to write home about. The chicken was not very good. The pound cake dessert was a dud.

I might go back again - but not too soon. Medieval Madness is a kind of place I would consider taking friends who are visiting here in the Metro DC Area ... but the problem is value for the $$$. With the same budget I can think of many places I'd spend my money before I rush back.

The sword fight was fine, and I did appreciate the humor and personal attention paid to us by our Wench (waitress).

I went using one of the social media coupon/discount promotions.

Visited December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
14 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was my second time attending and I had just as good a time as the first experience. Both times we purchased through living social. I am a fan of the beer, although it is very pricey but I haven't been to Germany in a number of years and it allows me to reminisce. The atmosphere is more intimate than that of a Medieval Times, and depending on which show you go to the story lines develop differently. Food was good, I particularly liked the sausage and spiced cake. Not a fan of the 700 year old jam, or the glazed carrots, but the meal was satisfying. Your experience will be greatly enhanced if you go with people that like historical references and get involved with group activities. Staff are accommodating and do a very fine job. Will definitely return in again and again.

Visited November 2012
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Cute once”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The atmosphere and show were cute once, but didn't have as much appeal a second time.

The entertainment is decent. The cast mostly stayed true to character, without being "over the top" about it. There is a bit of a vibe that they do it their way, and if you don't like it then you are welcomed to leave. This attitude is more pervasive than I really appreciate, so I take them up on their offer to leave (by not going back in the first place).

The food was better than I expected, and was an interesting meal. Everything is served family style, so items get passed around your table. If you happened to be seated with strangers, as is almost always the case, you'd better hope that they are considerate with their portions. More than once I saw some people take too much food without leaving enough for others at the table. You'd think that the servers would remedy this situation, but they're not as accommodating as you would expect. Sometimes items run out, so you're just out of luck. It's a bit of a stretch to have a meal which depends on the courtesy of others, so be warned.

They also offer "all you can drink beer" or something like that. Well, let me tell you that isn't even remotely the case. Last time I was there, I was sitting next to a group of younger "thirtysomething" professionals, and they wanted more beer. The cast tells you to scream "Wench, bring more meade" or something like that. Well, let me tell you that the wenches are expert at ignoring that request. So this group was asking for more beer and being ignored. In the meantime, they were also getting into the show... yelling out and being boisterous as the show encourages. At some point, the wenches decide that these people have had too much, and inform them they were cut off. This was after they had drank 3 beers over several hours and with a meal. I'd hardly call 3 beers to be "all you can drink." So, when/if you go, just know that you're going to get 3 or 4 beers, and that's it. Maybe if you buy your own then you'll be treated differently?

The singing and musical acts are quite good. Also, the swordsmanship martial arts is pretty cool. Those are big positives for this restaurant.

However, the hit-or-miss nature of getting food at meals, the inability to get drink refills, and the "could care less" attitude from the cast will keep this place off our list of regular places to go.

But do go once.