“Loved this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Atlanta, Georgia
“Loved this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

What a great hotel - it takes just a few minutes to get there on the metro from National Airport, and the metro stop is right across the street from the hotel. The hotel is very nice - the rooms were large and clean, the lobby was nice, the Starbucks in the lobby was great, and the restaurant in the hotel was wonderful. The hotel is within walking distance of all kinds of stuff. Loved it and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Thanks for a great review and we look forward to seeing you again! Look for the new buy specials at the front desk next time you check in! Have a great week!

550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Check in was easy, room was ready about an hour after arriving.

The hotel is two stops from DCA and literally right across the street from the Metro. Take the elevator down and cross the street. So simple.

Room was clean, temp was OK. All feather pillows were removed per my request which was nice.

Bar area is nice, daily specials. The breakfast buffet was $17 but included coffee and juice. The made to order spinach and mushroom egg white omelette was one of the best I have eaten. Napkins are like cardboard, though.

Great location, one of the best prices in the area. Metro did not keep me up at night but I did hear a train whistle at 6:15 in the morning. Not big deal.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for the great feedback! We will work on the stiff napkins. Look forward to seeing you stay again. Have a great week!
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I needed to stay 95 nights on business trip and asked if the government per diem rate was available when requesting me reservation. The reservations agent told me it was available so I booked my stay at this Hilton. 30 days into my trip I asked for a copy of the bill, to my surprise the rate charged was $70 a night higher than the government rate. When I explained to the front desk the mistake they told me there was nothing hat could be done and very quickly changed the room rate to the government rate from that point on. The front desk apologized and said, they should have told you but what they gave you was an “alternate” per diem rate. I have been a HHONORS member for years and have always received amazing treatment as such. I couldn’t believe that Hilton would not correct their error. The following day I went to the front desk again and asked for the manager on duty to help me. The man at the front explained all of the mangers were in meetings and would get back to me that day. To no surprise, no one ever called back as promised. At day 30 of 95 I am leaving this hotel and moving on to the Marriott for the reaming 65 days. No need to give an extra 15k in room rates to a hotel and staff that deceived me and then blew me off. I have never been treated this way by any Hilton hotel, I am truly shocked and disappoint in this Hilton.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I stayed here for one night, the night of my wedding. We live in the area and got married nearby, and wanted a nice hotel to stay in, but knew we were only going to be there a few hours so weren't terribly concerned about the amenities. I am very glad we chose the Hilton Alexandria over some of our other options! The room was spacious, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the service was good. We checked in late (in our wedding gear), and I had dropped my suitcase off earlier in the day, but lost the tag they gave me at some point during the day (there was a lot going on!). The staff at the front desk gave me my luggage, without any fuss. We had a refrigerator in the room, which was perfect because we had some leftover food to store from our reception. We ordered room service, which was prompt and friendly. And we had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning, which was tasty.

Our room overlooked the Metro, and I enjoyed watching the trains come and go from the window. No noise issues. The front desk called a cab for us when we were ready to leave.

Even though we didn't spend much time at the property, I really enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
DCMcG - Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the great feedback! Come see us again soon!
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

This is my second attempt at this post.
We stayed here for a romantic getaway. The price was good and a good location in Alexandria. You can walk around old town easilty or take free bus on King St.
The hotel is clean and nice. I love the beds in the Hilton, very soft. Our room was large and clean.

You do have to pay for internet. They have no free internet. They did respond to another poster about being able to purchase a package. Still you have to pay. Other nearby hotels offer nice hotels and free wifi. Nearby starbucks down the street also have free wifi. Or , if you have a good cell phone you can creat your own wifi area which is what we chose to do.
Otherwise you pay about $20 for each night of internet.

The Metro is nearby and a easy way to travel into DC.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Jobgirl2009 - Thanks for the overall positive review and I am glad you did have a good stay. I am not sure about the $20 internet charge as we charge $12.95 per day in the room or there is another option that you can use in the lobby for $3.95 for one hour. We also offer free boarding passes in the business center for your convenience if needed in the future. Have a great week!
Hollywood, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Our room was prepaid for quite sometime. We paid for a King size bed. We arrived right at check-in time. The lady at the counter was very polite. We get to our room and we have two full size beds. So, we drag all of our luggage back downstairs only to be told that we only get what we request, if it is available. After standing there refusing to accept this, we were given a room with a king bed. We could not understand why she did not tell us what kind of room we were then getting. Also, why were we still given this room at the same price. I feel they were hoping we would not complain and just enjoy our two double beds. There were some very nice things about this hotel, nice and clean rooms, Starbucks in the lobby, nice restaurant in hotel, near Metro and lovely walking areas around downtown. If you plan on using the workout equipment, you might want to stay somewhere else. My husband and I did not even finish our workout. The gentleman that came in after us got on a couple machines and left very soon too. The equipment is very neglected, noisy and does not work correctly. The stay would have been much better if there was more honesty involved. Bad start to our anniversary vacation. We would recommend, just be sure to ask if you are getting the room you requested and paid for.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
MKMAG, i appreciate your feedback on the hotel. I would like to review your reservation so I can get with my desk agent and go over the prepaid options so this does not happen again. I apologize for this experience. Also I am not sure what happened with the fitness equip but it is top of the line Precor Equipment and I will get somebody on this right away. I do appreciate the feedback and we will address the issues. Sorry for the confusion and challenging workout! If you could email me back I'd like to look your reservation up to see how it was processed on our end, have a great New Year!
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

The staff at the Hilton were top-notch. Very friendly and helpful. The hotel is beautiful on the inside, and I like that the elevators require a room key to get past the third floor. I got used to having a Starbucks in the lobby...very nice touch. On the down side, stay away from the Metro side of the hotel if you are a light sleeper...and even if you are not I would still try to get on the inside of the hotel. After two nights of screeching train wheels and AMTRAK whistles I asked to change rooms at 2am. The front desk allowed me to move to a room across the hall--very much appreciated, thank you. Lastly, I find it ridiculous that you have to pay 13.99 for internet access. If you are planning to stay for more than a week, the staff apparently are not allowed to give you a free internet pass (like many other hotels). It was for that very reason on my most recent trip to Alexandria I stayed at a different hotel...even more luxurious and free internet. Overall, the location is great, the staff are wonderful, and the hotel is very nicely appointed and clean; however, I refuse to pay 13.99 to access the internet. If the Hilton is monitoring this website, please pass to the "higher-ups" that since you charge 13.99 to access the internet and charge for the business center, the hotel lost out on my business (a ten day trip).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
MattW75 - Thanks for the feedback. We do offer packages that do include internet, parking, Starbucks and several other amenities as well. If you are in the area you may want to see if you can get in on a package deal and this will help you to avoid the internet fee. Thanks for the kind feedback overall.

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!