“Excellent location and clean rooms, Hilton a great choice.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $109!
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
ventnor, nj
“Excellent location and clean rooms, Hilton a great choice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Recently my husband and I spent the weekend at this hotel. First of all, we were able to get a $99 a night deal from the Hilton web site. When I prepaid I was given to option to upgrade for $5 a night for a corner room or $19 for a much larger room. We would not find out if an upgraded room was available until we checked it. We were upgraded to the larger room which was very clean and spacious. I was hoping for a pretty view, but that didn't happen.
I will say the night clerk at the desk when we checked in, seemed a little confused, we got there after midnight.
Having the self parking in the building was perfect for us. The metro was directly across the street, another plus.
When we went to check out there was an error on bill, which was quickly fixed when I pointed it out.
We would stay here again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

My husband, daughter and I stayed in Alexandria for one night at the end of a college trip.We travel to DC frequently, but this was the first time we stayed in Alexandria. What a breath of fresh air after two days in a very disappointing hotel near Georgetown!
Positives: This is a typical and consistent Hilton Hotel room. The room was large, clean and with very comfortable beds and pillows. It was the first night's sleep I had since leaving home. The staff were replacing the rugs in the lobby when we arrived and are in the process of updating the older TV sets to flat screens. You can self-park in the underground garage and take the hotel elevator directly to your floor using your room key to allow access to your specific floor. The hotel is one block from the Alexandria Metro station and directly on King Street in Old Town. It is approximately a 25-minute walk to the harbor area or you can take the free King Street Trolley. The restaurant choice is staggering in the number and variety of cuisines and price points available.
Negatives: None worth mentioning.
We are returning to DC within the next few months and are disappointed that the increased pricing of this hotel for that week will not permit us to stay at the Hilton again on our next trip.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

The tower room are great. The "retreat" rooms, not so much. The difference is like night and day. The tower building offers the feeling of a luxury hotel: good amenities and decor. The "retreat" building is not much different than a cheap motel: a strong cigarette odor welcomes visitors and follows all the way to the room.

During my check-in, which I did past 8pm, I was informed that I would receive a "retreat" room if I "preferred not to wait since it would take a while to prepare a room in the tower". This comment was quickly replaced by "there's no rooms available in the tower", and an assurance that the retreat was "great".

I had a hard time breathing in the retreat building. I called the front desk, asked to be moved but it wasn't until I mentioned that I suffer from asthma that a room in the tower was offered. I was glad I moved. The tower room was great.

Per the front desk personnel, be sure to request a room in the tower when making your reservation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. The staff was very welcoming, and helpful, gave us many tips about the metro and the restaurants in the area. We stayed in a deluxe room with a king bed. The room was very clean and well maintained. My only complain about the hotel is the pool, it was very small and not very clean, the water was cloudy, we did not even attempt to get in. Parking is $20 per night, it is not easy to find off street parking so I definitely recommend parking at the hotel. Hotel is only 20 min from D.C. by metro. Alexandria has a lot of restaurants walking distance to hotel and there is a free shuttle runs every 15 min go on the main street (King St) where all these restaurants and shops are located, must mention the best breakfast place Le Pain Quotidien walking distance to the hotel (701 King St) all organic food great place for a brunch!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Yorktown, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton for our recent DC trip and would stay again. The metro is RIGHT across the street, we could see and hear the trains from our window. My children enjoyed the indoor pool after a long day of sightseeing and there was a lifeguard. There are many restaurants nearby: Starbucks downstairs in the lobby; Dunkin Donuts across the street; coffee/bagel place down the street; a great Thai place (Masaya) a little farther; and Bartucci's (sp?) pizza several blocks away. The room was very nice with a well dressed bed, small frig, and desk. The bathroom was modern and the toiletries were from Crabtree and Evelyn, the only downside being that the sink, counter, toilet and shower are all in one room, as opposed to some hotels which have the sink and counter outside of the bathroom, which I prefer. The maid did a fantastic job and even tidied up all the stuff my kids left everywhere. The bfast buffet in the restaurant downstairs was a nice splurge ($16, kids $8) with lots of fresh fruit and omelets made to order. It is a LONG walk to the Torpedo factory and the free trolley doesn't start until 1130 and only comes every 20 min. Other than the metro/train sounds our room was very quiet.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Overall, my stay at the Hilton Old Town Alexandria was great. It was my first time visiting the DC area and I made a good decision by booking this place.

The room’s size, décor, and amenities were all pretty basic & standard but of good quality and very clean. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was nice, etc. Having a Starbucks in the lobby was really convenient (although there are plenty of other coffee joints in Alexandria to check out). The restaurant was overpriced the way hotel restaurants usually are, but the salmon dinner I had on my first night there was good.

One specific shout-out I’d like to make is to the front desk staff. They were always very friendly and helpful. Aside from the good comfort and convenience of the hotel, I’d say that front desk staff was the best part of this hotel.

The hotel’s location is extremely convenient for visiting Alexandria and DC. It’s directly across the street from the King Street Metro station. It only takes a couple of minutes to get to/from Reagan Airport and a handful of minutes more to get to/from Washington DC. Plus, the hotel is a couple of blocks from the heart of Old Town Alexandria.

Considering that this hotel was much cheaper than comparable places in downtown DC (or Alexandria), this is probably one of the better values in the area.

My verdict? If I visit DC again, this will be the first hotel I try to book.

• Liked — Comfort, convenience, & front desk staff
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sebastian, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

What a great hotel - located at North End of King street the main avenue in Old Town - llitterally a few steps to the meto - two train stops to airport - 1.85 instead of $20.00 taxi.
Hotel clean, comfortable, breakfast buffet was great, staff very professional...and there is a Starbucks shop in the lobby.
I will stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dinner Menu
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!