“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Bartlesville
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is immediately across the street--a relatively non-busy intersection--from the Metro station. it is only two short stops from Reagan International Airport. The Old Town Trolley (free!) stops near the hotel. It is easy trip to points of interest in DC and is only about 10 miles from Mt. Vernon. We also enjoyed an excellent dinner in the hotel dining room. We look forward to a return visit to this quiet hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Norwalk, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Nice location, but lacks amenities for price. I'll stay at another hotel in the area next time and take the free trolley to the Metro or just walk. The lobby did not have a lot of seating/standing space with a table, but I guess I could have went into the dining area that was next-door. Starbucks, which is inside the hotel, can get very busy due to it's location next to the Metro and they don't offer sandwiches.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Have stayed in many of the Hiltons around the DC area and this is by far the best in value as well as customer service. I am in town often for business and will make the Hilton Old Town my preferred hotel. Thanks to the staff for a very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

- stayed here on a prepaid weekend rate which i thought was very inexpensive.
- their guest ambassador, Shirley, wrote me an email almost exactly 24 hours before i was to check in, asking if i needed anything. this resulted in me asking for a King bed instead of my reserved 2 doubles which was all i could snag at the discounted rate. when i checked in, my room was upgraded to a corner king suite on the top floor. that score definitely impressed me and is probably what i will remember most from my stay.
- there was a large convention (some sort of Herbalife type company) in the hotel over the weekend, so the breakfast restaurant was mobbed with people all dressed up for their annual sales meeting. not sure if the hotel was caught by surprise or just short staffed, so i helped myself to the buffet and a server arrived as i was finishing to take my little coupon and offer a drink. no problem with that experience, as i had only 10 minutes to spare, but if i was paying out of pocket, i would have skipped it.
- the location is superb. for those unfamiliar with the area, Old Town Alexandria is a pretty genuine colonial/early 1800's tourist trap. cycling through the neighborhoods and looking at the old townhouses made me want to move there and become some sort of historic re-enactment person who can get away with wearing white cotton stockings. the area is very walkable, has tons of shops and restaurants, and is a nice counterpoint to the crowds of the tourist traps in DC. the hotel is across the street from the King Street metro stop, which is only two stops beyond the Reagan Airport stop. You could take the metro into town in 15 minutes flat.
- while i felt i got the star treatment for my diamond status, the place does not seem to cater towards the business types, who probably get sucked into staying in town or the big commercial centers in Crystal City or Tysons Corners. there is no Exec Lounge or freebies or water included in the room. The hotel has more of a wedding/Kiwanis Club meeting feel to it.
- i did not use the gym or overall hotel facilities so could not speak to that aspect.
- there is a starbucks inside the hotel.

If you want something a little different from staying right inside the District, check this place out. my feeling is that not a lot of diamonds come through here, so they're more willing to hook you up than other full-fledged hiltons. i wouldn't pay top dollar versus other options, but i was glad i stayed here.

- other tip - you can rent a bicycle from Bike and Roll, which is near the river. the Mt Vernon trail is a safe, off-the-highway bike path that goes from the Key Bridge all the way down to Mt. Vernon. I biked one day up and over to Falls Church and back, and the other down to Mt. Vernon, toured the estate, and biked back. I felt i saw a lot of the beautiful countryside.

Room Tip: Shirley upgraded me to a suite without me asking. Don't be afraid to ask if you have hilton stat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Long Branch, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Having stayed here before, I did not hesitate to book a room here again. Unfortunately, the hotel is now badly in need of renovation and provides no security in the lobby which, in our case, was a necessity. The food is awful and over-priced at breakfast. Parking is $32. per night with no valet in a dingy, underground garage. On the bright side, the location near the Metro is excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. I'm very sorry that your stay was not a more pleasant one. I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments with our leadership team. Your experience was not a typical one; we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again and better demonstrate the abilities of our staff and facility.

Best Regards,

Charlie Banta
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was in town for an ASTD class, and this hotel is less than a block from the ASTD class location. Has a full Starbucks downstaris, and plenty of good sandwich shops nearby. If you really need an emergency shopping fix, the BestBuy, Target, TJ Maxx & others are within a 10-15 min drive (just up Hwy 1/Jefferson Davis Hwy).

The rooms here are clean, and really nice to stay in - I was pleasantly surprised for a hotel that likely gets a lot of traffic. Parking was 'just OK', it can be a little confusing at first, as they share a garage with other locations. I felt a little on-gueard in the garage as a girl can feel pretty 'alone' down there, it is well lit & I just did what I could to get close to the elevator.....elevator needs your room key to take you up, so I liked that! They do offer valet if you want to spring for it.

Desk folks were very nice, same with the Starbucks staff. If you are here for ASTD, I will mention that the Hampton Inn is IMMED next door to ASTD, but I am pretty certain the room quality at the Hilton is much nicer + the ease of Starbucks right in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Let's start with first impressions! When we walked into the lobby, it looked nice, what you would expect from a nice D.C. hotel. There were lovely real flowers on a large table and a full starbucks in the lobby. The service was great, the people at the desk provided us with maps and brochures that were very helpful and the concierge was willing to give us directions to different points of intrest. Then I went into the room. It looked nice, standard hilton beds and furniture, nice entryway. Despite the clean look, I smelled cigarette smoke my companions assured me that it was just musty so we stayed in the room. We later found that there was a surplus of moisture in the hotel which was being taken care of. I proceded to have numerous breathing problems at night and had to go to a cvs in the middle of the night for allergy pills. The bathroom was not up to my expectations for Hilton. It seemed a bit bland and lacking in any luxurious touches. Our safe was low on batteries and my technology got locked inside and we had to wait for a service man to come and fix it. After our lock box fiasco, we decided to look for the pool which is well advertised on most travel sites including the Hilton's. We followed the signs and arrived in a hall converted into a cocktail space that was dirty (no events had taken place that day) and littered with soda cans. We proceded down a hall that smelled like chlorine to find that the pool was closed. We asked what was happening to it and if it would be ready before we left. We were told that the pool was being filled in to make room for a new banquet room. We decided to walk down the street and get dinner at a restraunt that the concierge told us was only a few blocks away, a few blocks turned out to be about a mile and a half, which was inconvenient to say the least. Despite all of the negative factors, the proximity to the metro was great considering our intent to travel into the city for some off the beaten path attractions and we loved the area. Next time, i will be returning to the Hampton inn instead of the Hilton.

Room Tip: Make sure that you aren't near the metro, they run late and could keep you up, we didn't hav...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. I'm very sorry your experience was not more enjoyable. Please accept our apologies for the areas in which we failed to meet your expectations.

I am pleased to report that as of mid August 2013 all rooms that face the Metro Station have had sound proof windows installed! Now all the convenience of being 37 steps from the Metro - without any of the noise!

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to be of service to you again soon.

Charlie Banta

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!