“location, location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
dallas, texas
“location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here several nights for a business meeting and then for a "weekend vacation" with my husband after that. Arriving in Washington Reagan Airport, I took the Metro and in 2 short stops, there I was. The room was comfortable, clean, and very quiet (My room was away from the Metro station). Hotel employees were helpful. My only complaint is that I could not get a good internet connection in my room (and you do have to pay for internet in guest rooms). I loved walking down King St (or taking the free trolley) and found some great places to eat and people watch. I took the Metro to see a few of the museums in DC - very convenient (but not everything is close to a Metro stop, so it's best to do some planning in advance so you won't be wandering around aimlessly). When my fun weekend was over, I hopped on the Metro back to the airport - wonderfully convenient. I will return when I get the chance1

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I can only give this hotel three stars because of our placement of rooms. We are a family of 5 and take many road trips. We stay at many different hotel chains. Hilton is usually very consistent. We arrived at the hotel around 6:30 and our kids were tired and starving. We placed our bags in the room and quickly left for dinner. When we returned two of the three children fell asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow. Unfortunately my husband, older son and me had a surprise in store for us. The trains were passing by every 10 minutes or so. The biggest shocker was the loud cargo and Amtrak trains which blew their whistles very loud when passing by. Notable hours include 10pm, 2:30 am and 3:10 am. From about 1 a.m. until around 4:40 a.m., I heard the trains coming every 10 or so minutes.. sometimes sooner, sometimes more time in between. Our rooms were directly across from the station.

I really feel the staff should have warned us about the noise. We could have switched to another room or another hotel if we had knowledge sooner. It was too late to move rooms as the two younger children fell asleep. I didn't know if I should cry or laugh!

The rooms were clean, beds comfortable and breakfast good.
Yours Truly,
One exhausted Traveling Mom

Room Tip: If you are a normal to light sleeper, make sure you ask for a room on the other side of the building...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the areas in which we fell short of your expectations.

I am pleased to report that as of mid August 2013 all rooms that face the Metro Station have had sound proof windows installed! Now all the convenience of being 37 steps from the Metro - without any of the noise!

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to be of service to you again soon.

Charlie Banta
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel was great, but one thing that they make very well is their cosmopolitan. They had a great bar, and good amenities for those who are in town as tourists. The yellow line drops you off right next to the hotel and you are only a stop a way from Reagan Airport. Would definitely choose this spot again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Trabuco Canyon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I loved the location of this hotel. Right on King St next to the metro (blue and yellow line), two stops from the airport and 15 min from DC. King St is a great spot to visit, it has a free shuttle running up and down the street to the Potomac, about 1.25 miles, end to end. On weekends you can stroll the street and watch the street performers. At the wharf, you can visit the old torpedo factory which has many artists shops.

The Hilton is very nice with a great restaurant for breakfast, nicer then average gam and a Starbucks in the lobby which is always handy. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Garden City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Hilton Honors member stayed here on business. Excellent stay. Only knock was the suite I was in faced the Metro. You hear every train that goes by. Highly recommend if you are taking Metro into DC as it is literally right next to the Metro. Right next to it also means a little noise though. everything else perfect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Old Town in Alexandria to celebrate our 28th anniversary. When I reserved the room I made a note of the special occasion and the manager upgraded us to a suite and when we checked in our parking was comped and we were given coupons for the breakfast buffet.
The room was very nice, with a separate bedroom from the living area. Each room had its own TV and the bedroom had a nice-sized bathroom.
The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Metro, Amtrak and the VRE. There is a King Street Trolley stop which makes it convenient to get back and forth to the area near the water.
I would highly recommend this to anyone visiting DC (given the proximity of the Metro) or wanting to explore Old Town Alexandria. There are numerous great restaurants within walking distance on King Street, as well as countless shops.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I recently had to stay in the Washington DC area for several weeks, and the Hilton was my go to hotel. The staff is exceptional and provide personalized service to all the guests. The rooms are large, clean, and well accommodated. The rooms are also very quiet. The location is perfect with the metro stop just steps away, I highly recommend this hotel for both business and personal travel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!