“A great place to stay "near" Washington DC...” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $129!
Ranked #16 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Dallas
“A great place to stay "near" Washington DC...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I travel to Washington DC quite a bit and recently found this place. It is one block from a train station and about a 20 minute $5 ride.

The food in the hotel is average, however their breakfast buffet for make an awesome omelet! It was Tweet worthy when I stayed there. The rooms were nice, however since you are a block from the train station you are subjected to a loud train depending on your room location.

This hotel is at the end of a beautiful street in Alexandria, and has a lot of shopping and eating selections to boot! No shortage of food units in this location.

The bar downstairs has fair prices on their drinks and there is a Starbucks in the lobby!

• Stayed December 2012
Joseph M, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you so much for the feedback. The Metro station across the street from the Hotel is very convienient for our guest but at the same time we do recognize it can get noisy and for that I do apologize. Thanks for the comments on our Restaurant and we look forward to your return

552 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
lees summit, mo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is located right next to the kings street metro so very convenient; however, when we stayed there they forgot to tell us the pool was not available. When we asked they were not helpful at All. We found out the pool had no heat and had been that way for over a week.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are sorry that you had a disappointing service experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for and valued and we regret this was not your impression. Your feedback will help us to better deliver our brand promise moving forward. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us and having shared your comments with our team, we will try harder to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We apologize again for any inconvenience experienced with our pool and we are currently working on a solution to better serve our guest. I will reach out to you offline to further address your concerns.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Postives:
Starbucks in lobby
Extremely close to the metro
Friendly staff

Negatives:
Suites need to be upgraded…musty, low ceilings, plastic laminate counters
Pool is not heated
Cleanliness needs improvement. (linens were stained…we requested new ones. Housekeeping didn't come on second day)
Zip Check Out button on phone dials directly to 911 (and management is aware of this)
Parking Garage…dirty, dusty maze

We left with the opinion that this hotel is poorly run. The biggest inconvience to me was not being able to use the pool with my two boys. We were told we could use the pool ‘next door’ a neighboring hotel. Although nearby, the hotel we had to walk to was certainly not next door. Not a great experience with young children and wet heads in the freezing cold. Robert at the front desk gave us complimentary breakfast vouchers for our trouble. I would have preferred to see them post something on the website regarding the pool as I suggested. Also, I was assured that the general manager would give me a call. Still waiting.

Room Tip: The rooms further from the metro appeared to be recently updated.
Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered relating to the pool. We are currently in the process of addressing the problem and in fact we have placed notice on our website to inform our guest. I apologize again for the inconveniences during your stay with us and hope that you will give us a second chance if you return to the area. I will reach out to you offline to further address your concerns
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights location was perfect. We had a car with us which we really didn't need. The location is literally right across from the King Street Metro station where you can jump on the Metro to go anywhere!!! If you want to go anywhere on King Street the FREE King Street Trolley pick up is at the Metro Station too!! Can't get a better location. We had a room on the metro side but seriously the metro noise did not keep us awake. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Also a plus...Starbucks is in the hotel lobby!!! Parking garage under remodel was the only negative.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thanks for the positive review on the hotel. Our parking garage is undergoing a remodel to better serve our guest and I do apologize for the inconvienience.Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your return!
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for New Years Eve. We reserved a room for $140 NO REFUND OR CANCELLATION policy three weeks prior to our stay. The room was to have two double beds (in case our daughter stayed overnight with us). AS the holiday approached, we realized we didn't need the two beds and called to ask for a king size bed instead. No change policy which I understood when booking, however, even on the day of arrival, there were king size rooms available (I called and checked online) for a lesser rate. I didn't expect to pay any less, but I wish they could have switched our room to a king bed (we also asked upon check in and we were told there wasn't availability--again, I called and was told there were available rooms with king beds, so I know the receptionist just gave me what was already set up and didn't try to accomodate me at all). We are Hilton Honors Members, but this didn't amount to anything extra really. No free Wifi or breakfast.
The room was very clean. The bathroom showed its age (chipped floor tiles and peeled wallpaper with "aged" stains on the sink). Not anything that would keep me from staying in the room again though. The bed was very comfortable, and we had extra pillows and blankets waiting on the one bed as we had asked.
I don't know if it was really that much more quiet being on the "road side" (King Street) rather than the train side. We were at the corner by the traffic light, so I could hear the trucks sitting at the light and when pulling away, it was loud. I think I would ask for a quieter room if I stayed here again.
The hotel is next door to the train/metro station. It has restaurants very close by along with Whole Foods for groceries (a five minute walk). The trolley can be used to head to the waterfront or a quick taxi ride. Parking is very expensive ($30), but we didn't have to use the parking garage. If visiting the DC area, I would keep this hotel in mind to stay in again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry your expectations were not met at the at our hotel, we certainly strive to make our guests experience the best we can be. I will certainly discuss your challenges with team and address the issues you experienced. We certainly hope you will give us an opportunity to serve in the future. Our Hotel's location across the street from the Metro is very convienient for our guest but we also do realize it can get noisy as well.
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four night on business travel and was very pleased. I am a low maintenance hotel guest, so the staff typically only hears from me if there is a problem. I had very little interaction with the staff, but when I did (check-in, in passing, etc.) they were very friendly and professional. The hotel has a nice fitness center that includes treadmills and ellipticals, weights and a pool (which I did not use). It is sufficiently large; when I would exercise in the morning there were four of us each day, and there was plenty of room. I did not try any of the food options at the hotel, so cannot comment on those. The rooms were clean enough (there was some hair - not mine - on the drain in the tub on my first shower that kept it from draining properly), and I slept well. Typically any noise will keep me awake. My room was right by the elevators and facing the Metro station, but neither kept me awake so the soundproofing must be good. I did not like that there were no individual thermostats in the room and they kept the temperature a little higher than I would have on my own. The location is excellent directly across from the King Street Metro, and even in December it was a nice walk up King Street for dinner and drinks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the great review and we are glad to see you enjoyed the old Town Alexandria! Our hotel staff truely make a difference when it comes to service and I was happy your experience was nothing short of stellar.Our Hotel's amenities as well as location is also well received by many of our guest. Come see us again when coming to Alexandria Old Town!
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is located opposite the metro station so you can easily access DC and surrounding areas.
Old Town has plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from as well as plenty of shops and cafes, so there's plenty of amenities within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel itself is very comfortable and the staff were all very friendly and professional.
My room was quite spacious and I slept very well.
The breakfast buffet is fantastic and unlike a lot of hotels they serve until quite late in the morning, so you don't have to get up stupidly early unless you want to.

Room Tip: It's a relatively quiet area so unless you're a very light sleeper most rooms should be fine...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and for your continued loyalty with Hilton. Great comments! I was also pleased to read your stay was relaxing and service from the staff exceed your expectation.We are proud of our location on King Street to area Restaurants and shops. Thank you again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!