“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four night on business travel and was very pleased. I am a low maintenance hotel guest, so the staff typically only hears from me if there is a problem. I had very little interaction with the staff, but when I did (check-in, in passing, etc.) they were very friendly and professional. The hotel has a nice fitness center that includes treadmills and ellipticals, weights and a pool (which I did not use). It is sufficiently large; when I would exercise in the morning there were four of us each day, and there was plenty of room. I did not try any of the food options at the hotel, so cannot comment on those. The rooms were clean enough (there was some hair - not mine - on the drain in the tub on my first shower that kept it from draining properly), and I slept well. Typically any noise will keep me awake. My room was right by the elevators and facing the Metro station, but neither kept me awake so the soundproofing must be good. I did not like that there were no individual thermostats in the room and they kept the temperature a little higher than I would have on my own. The location is excellent directly across from the King Street Metro, and even in December it was a nice walk up King Street for dinner and drinks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thanks for the great review and we are glad to see you enjoyed the old Town Alexandria! Our hotel staff truely make a difference when it comes to service and I was happy your experience was nothing short of stellar.Our Hotel's amenities as well as location is also well received by many of our guest. Come see us again when coming to Alexandria Old Town!

544 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is located opposite the metro station so you can easily access DC and surrounding areas.
Old Town has plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from as well as plenty of shops and cafes, so there's plenty of amenities within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel itself is very comfortable and the staff were all very friendly and professional.
My room was quite spacious and I slept very well.
The breakfast buffet is fantastic and unlike a lot of hotels they serve until quite late in the morning, so you don't have to get up stupidly early unless you want to.

Room Tip: It's a relatively quiet area so unless you're a very light sleeper most rooms should be fine...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and for your continued loyalty with Hilton. Great comments! I was also pleased to read your stay was relaxing and service from the staff exceed your expectation.We are proud of our location on King Street to area Restaurants and shops. Thank you again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

2 Stops from Reagan National on the Metro. Station right across the intersection.

Very convenient to nearby professional associations and other businesses. Plenty of restaurants in short walking distance.

Amazingly, even though the Metro rail was right outside my window across the street, the trains cease at midnight and with bathroom fan in, I slept like a baby (didn't hear trains even before midnight).

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
I was thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay as well as the convenience of our location to the King street Metro. indeed our location to the King street Metro, just steps away from the Hotel is one of many unique features of our hotel that our guest enjoy. Thank you very much for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Old Town Alexandria soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel is in a great location next to King St Metro station but also walking distance to the quaint shops and restaurants of the Old Town. Hotel is comfortable and rooms are modern. Service was friendly enough but nothing special. No bar snacks like chips or nuts with drinks and wi-fi not free in rooms.

Room Tip: One side of hotel is vey close to Metro track so try for room at front of hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for the great feedback. Iam glad you enjoyed your stay with us . At the Hilton, we strive to provide the very best service possible and I am thrilled you experience lived up to that standard. Our location in Alexandria Old Town to King street Restaurants and shopping is unmarched. Thanks again for the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stay here more frequently than about anyone I know (more than 30 nights at thsi Hilton this year alone- an Hilton Honors Diamond member). The staff is quite friendly and the hotel rooms are nice and well maintained. The hotel is very convenient to Metro and DC. However, I just had a very unsettling expereience with a satff member there. Just before a recent trip I became pretty ill and had to cancel on my scheduled day of travel. I called the hotel directly and the front desk was very friendly and responsive. The desk clerk even recognized my name and that I was a frequent guest. He said he undesrtood and even said I sounded ill and should go to bed (where I already was). He also said he would cancel ther room and that no room charges would be applied. However, a day or so later I checked my credit card statement and lo and behold I found the hotel had charged me. I called to inquire and was directed to accounting. I had to leave a voicemail but the next day a woman (I will call her Ivy) returned the call. I expected a normal and pleasant business conversation but it was not what happened. She began by asking me who I talked with and what they said and made it sound like no record existed of any cancelation. After giving her my full story on dates of reservation, reason why the cancelation was on the scheduled day of check-in, time of my call to the hotel (around noon or so), what my convesartion was with the desk clerk, etc., she said I guess I believe you. Then she said the computer did show my call and the cancelation and confirmed my memory of what the desk clerk said. But then she said she that I had yet another reservation for the previous day to my cancelation that was not canceled. I knew that wasn't right and told Ivy that. A sI wa sstarting to ask when and get soem details on this "uncanceled reservation" she just said "this time" she would take off the charges but that it would go "in my file" and would be referred to in any of my future stays. I then tried again to inquire as to when this other stay was for and any reservation number but she had already hung-up. She wasn't overtly mean but was very unprofessional in givimg me the third degree and made me feel like a I had lied or was trying to get away with something - certainly I felt less than appreciated. I guess this email is just a warning that if you have a problem here do not deal with anyone but a manager - in the past they have generally been quite friendly and very professional. I see the mangers usually read these reviews and sometimes leave comments. I just they do this time and spend some time discussing customer service with Ivy.

Room Tip: Get a room with an even number for a great view, I highly recommend rooms king bed rooms 344, 444, 5...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area as well as your loyalty. I do apologize for the issues you encountered. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and know our guests deserve better. We will make every effort to ensure our guest receive the highest standards of service. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced and if you would like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly. We hope you would consider returning to us if you travels continue to bring you back in the Alexandria Old Town area.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a very nice property with great access to the Washington DC Metro with the King Street station directly across the street. The Metro provides easy access to/from Reagan National Airport and all of the tourist attractions in Washington DC. The hotel is a typical Hilton with nice amenities and full service restaurant and bar as well as a Starbucks inside the property. Check-in was prompt and smooth, and the room was nice and quiet. I stayed for two nights on a weekend while visiting Alexandria for business, and the property seemed quiet. The location is a bit removed from Old Town Alexandria, which is approximately a mile away. I was very pleased with the property until I checked out and asked for a taxi. The person at the front desk directed me to a driver waiting in the lobby who took me to an unmetered Lincoln Continental for a 1.5 mile ride into Alexandria to a location near the Potomoc. The fare was $20, which is a complete rip off. The hotel offers free wi-fi in the lobby but not in the rooms, which is another rip off. Based on location I would stay here again but would look at other hotels in the area as well to get the best deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate the feedback and your loyalty. We are always trying to improve upon guest service and make things more consistent for our guests. Your feedback is how we monitor things and analyze ways to improve. We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to improving our services so they are more consistent for our guests. Thanks for the feedback and have a great holiday season!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Good points:
- good location within DC and also within Alexandria
- generally good service with attentive staff
- free wifi in lobby
- great breakfast selection

Bad points:
- room and bathroom decor/furnishings are a little dated
- a little pricey (paid $190 for a twin room)

Gets a 3.5 with a potential for 4.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I was pleased to read you enjoyed you stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to write some feedback and we look forward to your return if coming back into the Alexandria old town area area!

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!