“Offering the Best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Arlington, Virginia
“Offering the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Thanks to manager, Shirley, and an efficient front desk staff, my stays at the Hilton Alexandria Old Town are consistently the best. The staff is welcoming, the rooms comfortable and spacious and any request is met with timely service. It is the only place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear lbbeach,
Thank you for your kind comments as well as your consistent patronage.I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and certainly agree with you on Shirley and the front desk staff on their great service and efficiency.The desk staff is top notch and go to great lengths to take care of our guests.Thanks again and look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Portland, Oregon, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Pros: Great location, nice, spacious room. Nice staff.
Cons: Lousy room location, bad breakfast buffet, pricey wi-fi, indifferent manager, NOISY ROOM

I booked four nice in a King room. At check in, I asked for a quiet room and was assured it was a quiet room. When it was time to sleep (around 10pm) - my wife and I were showered, fed and in bed - we heard what sounded like a night club starting up - the thumping bass, etc. The front desk told me it was a party in the meeting room directly below me with a DJ and the party would be going on, I was told, until midnight. The music was loud enough that I could identify every song on the playlist and it got louder and louder as the night went on. When I complained about getting a room over a party when I'd specifically been told I had a quiet room, they told me that they didn't know there would be a DJ for the party, but they still would let it go on til midnight. The manager told the front desk to tell me I could change rooms, but the music would not be stopped until midnight. We were already unpacked, clothes hung up and folded in drawers - moved in for a four night stay. After a long day of travel and an early start the next morning, we didn't want to get out of bed, get dressed, get packed up again to move to another room because the front desk put us in a room that is DIRECTLY OVER A PARTY. Since it was their mistake and we weren't able to get our much-needed sleep in our hotel room, I asked for the room to be comped for that night, but was instead offered a voucher for breakfast and $20 off the room for the night.

We layed awake naming the songs that were blasting from below us and watched the clock - counting down til we could go to sleep. The music only ended when I called the front desk again at 12:10 and insisted they stop the music.

3 out of 4 mornings there was thumping coming from below us that started around 6:30 am - like chairs being stacked or a vacuum banging on the baseboard. Not sure what it was, but that always woke me up and the noise kept going until I gave up on sleeping and just got up.

The breakfast buffet was pretty bad. Really bad. Powdery, gritty scrambled eggs, undrinkable coffee, greasy flabby bacon. Even for free, I wouldn't eat there again. Stick with the fruit and yogurt. Or better yet, walk a couple of blocks to Whole Foods and eat there.

On the up side - the entire staff (minus the manager) were friendly and helpful and the location can't be beat.

Would I go again? I'm still pretty steamed over the manager's attitude. Not sure that I would. Definitely stay clear of the third floor!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the 3rd floor - specifically #335 - it's directly over a meeting room and there...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear WorldlyGrrl,
Thanks for the feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience and I can assure you it is not the normal experience for our hotel. I will look into the issues you raised. We can continue our conversation off line and I will contact you directly via your profile information we have on file to further discuss and address all your concerns.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The location of this property can't be beat. The King Street Metro stop is across the street. Old Town Alexandria is down King Street, with your choice of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Joe Theismann's restaurant is across the street, as is a small farmer's market.
Parking is below the property and is shared with the adjacent Wyndham Vacation property and I gather nearby office parking. There seemed to be more reserved Wyndham parking stalls than Hilton, but it worked out fine. There is a Starbucks and a nice restaurant called Seagar's, where I ate two enjoyable breakfasts. Staff members were courteous and assisted me locate a cell phone store in Old Town. The fitness center is expansive, and has more than enough equipment to maintain your workout. Pool has a lifeguard on duty for part of the day.
The only mystery is the doorway that leads to the Wyndham property inside the fitness center. I'm guessing the Hilton pool and fitness center are shared by the Wyndham, although one gentleman who walked through the door and looked around in the Hilton could not get back into the fitness center door using his Wyndham card. I had to let him in. Seems like a liability to allow patrons and even non-hotel patrons to have uninhibited access to the fitness center and pool. Overall, great stay and I will stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Away from the Metro side of the hotel. Upon check-in, the front desk clerk asked if I preferred a r...
Dear 92Benz ,
Thank you so much for your overall positive comments about our hotel and the staff. You are correct, our location is indeed a hidden gem. King Street offers outstanding Restaurants and the Metro rail is steps away from our Hotel's entrance a quick zip into Washington DC. The starbuck in the Lobby is also another great amenity our guest enjoy. Most of all, we do appreciate your patronage and look forward welcoming you back soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

A great place to vacation. We spent 4 great days. Very convenient to Metro for sight seeing.
the breakfast to order was great and beyond expectations. The manager's reception was very nice with good libations upgrades for a minimal price.
The wait staff and bar staff were exceptionally nice. To those reading this, please remember to leave a tip for those hard workers. Especially the ones who clear the table after you have had the breakfast perk.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob H,
I was so pleased to note you received excellent service from all of the hotel team members that interacted with you. I am also glad you to read your comments on our Restaurant wait staff. At the Hilton, we strive to provide the best possible service and your comments validates our efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back to the DC area.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel is in a great location across from the Metro Station. The breakfast is always great with friendly waiters. Excellent gym and amenities. The only thing is parking is along way down the garage. Got upgraded as a Hilton Gold member to a suite which was nice. I will be back. Consistently good...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I am pleased you received excellent service from our restaurant waiters, in addition to the superb location of our property in Old Town Alexandria. It’s nice to note that you enjoyed your breakfast in Seagars restaurant. I appreciate your feedback and your loyalty. We are consistently working on improving our Parking Garage experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Oceanside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Recently, we visited our relatives in Alexandria and Washington, DC. Staying at Hilton over the weekend was an excellent choice. We got a great rate with Hotels.com. As a Hilton Honors member, our room was spacious and handsomely appointed! Buffet breakfast was delicious, including the made-to-order omelette. The Metro is right across the street, which is most convenient for commuting into D.C., as well as Arlington Cemetery. Neighborhood parking is available on weekends.

Room Tip: Always use your Hilton Honors Program when making reservation.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fantastic Review! I was thrilled to read your comments on your recent stay at the Hilton Old Town. I am glad you were able to spend some time with the Realatives in the vicinity. Our location is unmarched in the Alexandria Old Town area given our Hotels's proximity to the Metro Station a quick zip into Washington DC. Thanks again for your patronage and look forward to your next visit.
Leesport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Perfect location and beautiful property right in the heart of Alexandria (and next to Metro Station). We were there on a business trip but found the hotel special enough to plan a return trip when time allows us to enjoy the surround attractions even more.
When we arrived we checked in a given a room on the second floor. Upon entering the room we found the room to have a stale/smoky smell to it. We contacted the front desk and asked for a nonsmoking room. We were informed that all rooms were nonsmoking but they were see what they could do. Within 5 minutes an front desk manager was at our room to give us keys for another room...a suite! The new room's air quality was much improved and the extra room was a huge plus. Kudos to the staff for not only correction the issue but going above and beyond! We will be back to enjoy the hotel and all its amenities soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is away from the Metro Station...it can be loud when trying to sleep.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the excellent feedback. I am glad we had the opportunity to welcome you back and enjoy another excellent stay. I was pleased to note our staff quickly rectified the room issue to your satisfaction. I will share your feedback with the staff and the front desk Manager. There are several Hotels choices in the Alexandria Old Town area and your patronage at our Hotel means a lot to us. We look forward to serving you soon.

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!