“Great location, convenient to everything important in Old Town” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $99!
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Great location, convenient to everything important in Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Just across the street from the train (both Amtrak and Metro) station, the Old Town Alexandria Hilton is also on the free King St trolley stop. The staff is accommodating, and they have a very good restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days per week and late into the night. The bar and the Starbuck's are frequented by locals, and give this hotel 2 bonuses for both the business and pleasure traveler. The rooms are clean, quiet, comfortable, and updated with nice extras like pillowtop mattresses and Herman Miller Aeron desk chairs. There is free wi-fi in the lobby and several available business meeting rooms. The corporate rates on this place are around $125 per night, making this Old Town hotel an incredible bargain. Hilton has outdone themselves with their energy saving measures like auto shutoff of the heat/air system when guests leave the rooms and actually NOT replacing towels that are are left hanging as directed......great job of practicing what they preach! There is a coffee pot and a plush robe for each guest in the rooms. My only complaint is no magnifying mirror in the bathroom....for those of us whose eyes are not as good as they used to be.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, and even the ones directly facing the train station are so quiet, you can hear...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback! We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience at our property, along with the many 'extras' that Old Town offers. We are very committed to our green initatives and are proud to be Virginia Green certified. Our staff looks forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel the weekend of May 11- 13. The hotel was situated in a great location across the street from the metro. We did request to be on the opposite side of the metro due to the reviews I read that the metro can be loud. During our stay we used the pool and it was great for this kids (heated) however, the hours of operation were a bit odd, from like 7am-10am then from 4pm-10pm so they were not open during the day (there is a lifegaurd on duty so perhaps they dont want to pay them for a time when most people are out sightseeing). The only complaint some people may have (although is did not bother us because we are not folks that go to sleep early and our daughter sleeps through anything) is that we were on the 2nd floor and there was a prom/wedding going on in one of the function rooms and we could hear the loud music although it did end promptly at 11pm, but I could see how ths could be a concern for people who go to sleep early that is why I mention it! Parking was not included in the cost of the stay and it was $30.00 per night so that is something you should factor in if traveling on a budget. The rooms were clean, there was a hair dryer and iron/iron board in the room and they do supply your basic shampoo/condition, shower cap, lotion, soap, coffee/tea and a maker. There are not many towels in room (only enough for two people). would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy our pool and other available amenities. In regards to the pool hours, you are correct, the hours reflect high demand periods. A lifeguard must be on duty at all times, and therefore we have tailored the hours to most of our guests' preferred swimming times. As for the event taking place near your guestroom, we apologize for any trouble that this may have casued your family. We look forward to your return and would recommend that you consider the Hilton Great Getaway value package(s), which include parking and other amenities that may enhance your stay. Thank you!
Oak Lawn, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 4 nights in early May after visiting my husband's sister in northern Virginia. I chose this Hilton after comparing varied hotels in Washington DC and Alexandria for its location (easy Metro access and walking distance to Alexandria's King Street restaurants and historical sites). I found hotels in the Washington DC area to be rather expensive, and this hotel offered the most reasonable rates among my choice locations at the time I booked the room.
Staff was friendly when we checked in -- they offered information about hotel facilities and area transportation. Room was clean and comfortable. I faced the Metro tracks but any train/traffic noise wasn't an issue for me. Bartenders and all other staff members gave us good service during our stay. I would definitely stay here again.
(I saw that other reviewers were put off by parking rates. I did not use a car, but fees were similar to what I saw in other city locations. I saw an ad in a brochure for Alexandria VA tourism that mentioned a special free parking deal at this hotel on some dates, so visitors might want to check for special deals like that when they book rooms in the Washington DC area.)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you very much for the excellent review of our Hotel. Your review validates our efforts to be the best at what we do and we will continue, to strive for excellence. I was also glad you enjoyed Alexandria Old Town and all the amenities it has to offer specially the proximity to Washington DC by Metro rail. Thanks again and look forward to your next visit.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Located just next to the King Street Metro (yet still quiet and peaceful), this hotel is functional and dependable. Lovely Starbucks in the lobby (being from the UK we're not used to find Starbucks within hotels! So this was particularly attractive for us). We ate one evening in the bar, and the service was excellent. Our room was clean and fine, although the bathroom was rather disappointing for the price we paid (albeit in a Standard room) - some of the bulbs were not working and were not replaced. Good food and reasonably priced. I would return to this hotel when visiting friends in the DC area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Great feedback for our Hotel and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The Starbuck in our Lobby is an excellent added amenity for our Guest and I am happy you found it appealing. I was also glad to hear you had an excellent experience in our bar and Lounge. Thanks for the stay and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

While I am a loyal Hilton fan, this has been one of my more disappointing Hilton experiences. This Hilton was relatively high priced for what I usually stay at Hilton's for. The rooms are nice enough, the staff quite helpful, and it is ideally located next to the King Street Metro station. I was put off, however by the extremely expensive parking charge ($30/day). You'd think for Gold and Diamond members the would absorb that cost. I have always counted on Hilton's superior internet quality in the rooms, but not here. Speeds didn't support Skype or streaming video. No executive lounge. I found the gym lacking. Next time I'm in the southern DC area, I'll pick a different Hilton.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are only moderately more expensive, but much roomier.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear guinnw,
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you found our staff to be quite helpful. On the issue of our parking rates, the garage is Managed by a partner vendor of the Hotel and the rates are set to be competitive with parking rates in the Old Town Area. I will advise you to look into our Hotels value packages that include parking for the future. Once again thanks for staying with us and I hope you will continue to stay with us. If, I can be of any help kindly contact the Hotel and ask for me and I will be glad to assist with your future booking.
louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed here for its proximity to the Metro and its good situation to old Alexandria. The hotel was perfect for me. I landed at Reagan National, took the Metro two stops south and walked across the street to the Hilton. Perfect. For my meetings in downtown D.C. and in Crystal City, Va., it was far easier to take the Metro than navigate D.C. by auto or taxi. I ended up taking a taxi once, near the White House, and the traffic was so bad I got out and walked the final block. I recommend the Metro when it works for your destinations. The Hilton's staff was great; they loaned me an umbrella one day. The room was clean and comfortable. I used the bar and restaurant and liked both. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, so what could be wrong about this location? Ok, it wasn't 100 Percent Quiet; my room faced the front of the hotel. I could hear the Metro a few times and there's a nearby train track, but it always seemed a distant sound at most. Alexandria was easily toured by using a free trolley which cruises within a block of the hotel. The staff was friendly and ready to help. I recommend it for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: ask for a room on King Street side or facing the square.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mac6,
Thanks for the great feedback. At the Hilton, we strive to provide excellent Guest service and I'm glad you experience great service everytime you stay with us. Old Town Alexandria is a great to stay, given all the amenities it has to offer. I hope you return to stay with us soon.
Danville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We were staying at the Hilton by virtue one of those Wyndham Vacation Resort weekends. You know, come listen to our time share pitch and we'll give you a weekend for $150.

We stayed in Room 333. Good sized room, clean, nice and quiet. We never heard any train noise at all. Very good location - Metro station is just outside the front door. The Old Town Alexandria Trolley stops a little way down King St. Bed was comfortable too.

Check in and out was quick and efficient. We asked for and received accurate driving directions and parking voucher.

I have the same complaint about this hotel as most we stay in - they say they want to conserve water by not washing all the towels every day. But every day they collected the towels we had hanging on the shower rod and replaced them with nice fluffy clean freshly washed towels.

The entrance nearest to the Starbucks has the problem of that's where the smokers go to smoke. Every time we came in this entrance there were cigarette butts on the sidewalk in the flower beds. I guess maintenance can't keep up with the smokers. It just looks a little bad.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Dear Golfergeo,
I am glad you appreciate our Hotel and all the services and amenities Old Town Alexandria has to offer. I was also pleased you noted we have an outstanding team here at the Hilton Old Town and we are very proud of our staff. My apologies about the cigarette butts on the side walk. We will certainly double our efforts to stay on top of the issue. Looking forward to you next visit.

Been to Hilton Alexandria Old Town? Share your experiences!