“Nice, but noisy (railroad) hotel! Not located convenient to Old Town.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Alexandria Old Town

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 75% on Parking
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Blacksburg, VA
“Nice, but noisy (railroad) hotel! Not located convenient to Old Town.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Beautiful, but a very expensive hotel with few perks for the price. Parking was $30/day and you had to pay for Internet access on top of that outrageous fee. The doublebeds are not very comfortable. If you are driving it is hard to see the entrance to the lobby/parkng and it might take you a few tries to find it. The hotel is conveniently located next to the Metro Station but not next to the Old Town restaurants and shops. It is a very long walk to these and it would be fine in warm weather, but on a cold or rainy night or if you have arthritic knees like my wife has you will regret it. There is a shuttle, but the hotel doesn't do much to help its guests use it. Being located next to the Metro Station is a mixed blessing. Any room on the side of the hotel to the rail line is subjected to the relentless noise of the Metro and light rail passing by at all hours. It only quiets down after midnight and starts up very early. I love to listen to a distant train at night, but this isn't distant and the trains whistle as they approach the stop. There are no other perks with your room unless you are lucky enough to get a package deal and you get what you pay for in this case. The few restaurants in the immediate area are not rated well compared to the many down the street in Old Town. So there is food nearby, but very few good choices. On top of all of this the front desk clerk could not find my reservation when I checked in, sending me back to my car for my confirmation. I can excuse that issue, but the overall experience wasn't as good as it should have been. If you are planning an event that depends on the use of audiovisuals for a large crowd, be aware that the large meeting room is long and narrow. Our viewing angle was hampered by this and most people in our meeting complained about this. As a speaker it was a nightmare as you could not speak and see your visuals on the two large angled screens next to you. We are moving our meeting elsewhere next year because of this and other issues.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk people to put you either on a high floor or on the opposite side of the hotel fro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Dear Chester65,
Thank you very much for the feedback. At the Hilton, we strive to provide the best possible service and it is only through your feedback that can help us accomplish our goals. My apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. I can assure you, your feedback means a lot to us and I will follow up with the appropiate individuals to make sure we do not repeat the issues you underlined. I will email you offline to further discuss your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

First time in Old towne; It was beautful. Christmas time and what a wonderful Hotle. The rooms were huge. Our son 14, did not want to leave. We'll be back!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Nanadog1020,
I am glad to note you enjoyed your stay with us and all Old Town Alexandria has to offer. I was also thrilled you noted the staff was excellent for your first time visit to Alexandria and our Hotel. Thanks for the stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Very conveniently located near King Street Metro. Clean. Professional staff. Walking distance to tons of restaurants. Only down side is $30 for parking, which should just be included in hotel cost.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for the great feedback for your Property. I was thrilled to learn you found our staff to be professional and curtious. I am glad you also enjoyed the convienience of our Hotel as far as its proximity to shops and Restaurants. Our parking rates are competive to the old Town area Hotels and I will encourage you to look into our Hotels Packages that include parking for added value for the future. Once again that for staying with us.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Another great stay at a Hilton - although there were a couple of things I found 'different' - the pool had a lifeguard and the hours were restricted to when they could provide one. Not sure why as the pool is smaller than many other Hilton pools, no changing room although there is a shower in the restroom area (ladies - don't know about the men's!)- lovely big sauna but no Hot Tub (shame) and miniature pool towels! It's also a bit strange to have a lifeguard sat sulking in the corner, & its odd having an audience when you're the only person in the pool..... not very relaxing. We had rooms with a view of the GW Masonic Memorial and overlooking the railway, both passenger and freight trains run very early in the morning - and make plenty of noise when passing even on Sunday morning- if you wan't a lie-in you could try asking for rooms on the other side of the hotel. The convenience of the rail system for travelling is wonderful, but the noise isn't great. Wonderful being at the top end of King's Street and the breakfast buffet (in our package) was really lovely - masses of fresh fruit and healthy options as well as all the less healthy more traditional breakfast - Oatmeal was superb - with great selection of dried fruit, compotes and nuts etc... YUMMY!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Barbara,
I was delighted to note you enjoyed your stay with us even though you encountered a few challenges here and there. Most of our guest enjoy the convienience the the Metro rail system but at the same token we do realize it can be noisy at times. I will certianly address your comments about the pool towels.I was also pleased with your comments on our breakfast buffet. Kindly let me know for your next visit and I will make sure you are placed on the east side of the building. Look forward to your next visit.
Decatur, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is my second time at this Hilton location. I had to come back as the convenience of the Metro across the street cannot be beat. I was in and out of DC in no time and did not need a rental car as the airport was only two Metro stops away. I got a great room rate for prepaying and had a lovely weekend visiting friends, museums and the National Archives. Unfortunately, I did not have time to use the exercise room or the indoor pool.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
DearReelmind,
Thanks for your return visit to our Hotel. I was pleased to note you always have a great experience at our Hotel. The conienience of the Metro Rail system is one of the great aspects of our Hotels to Reagan National Airport as well as DC area attractions. Thanks again for your stay and look forward to your next visit.
Riverside, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Like many Hilton branded properties, this one is sited to maximize convenience for the business traveller, while offering a high level of service and comfort for the leisure traveller. Located at the edge of Old Town, it's a great location to start an exploration of the charming shops and restaurants on King Street. If one doesn't care to explore, there is a Starbucks in the lobby, a pleasant bar and a restaurant with surprisingly good menu and level of service. The staff is extremely accommodating. A very good value and a consistent, high quality hotel experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Riverside,
Wow, thanks for the wonderful comments about our Hotel. It is truely a pleasure to get feedback like yours. We strive to be the best and your comments validate our efforts. Thanks again and look forward welcoming you back soon.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

IIf I were not a Hilton Diamond member is would likely give the hotel 5 stars. However, as a Diamond member I have come to expect a certain level of accomodation from the hotel chain, and htis hotel just did not live up to the standard.

For starters, I did not receive any kind of room upgrade. I booked at the government rate as I was traveling on government business. Consequently, I received a room with a view of the A/C piping on top of the roof outside my room. I would have been happier with a view of the traiins. Amenities seemed to be standard as any other Hiton. Although I received a welcome letter as I always do with Hilton there as nothing special to welcome me.

I asked about the executive lounde at checkin and was told the Hotel does not have one, but I get free breakfast and internet instead. Instead? Perhaps the chain should inform the front desk staff that al Diamond members get Internet and Breakfast whether or not an executive lounge exists.

In summary, although the accomodations were fine. I am accostomed to a higher level of service fromn Hilton as a Diamond member and this hotel was somewhat disappointing in that regard.

From my experience, the Hitlon Garden Inn at 16th and KH in DC was a much better experience.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Suggest an upgreade!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed our Hotel except for the benefits for Diamond Members. I completely understand your dissapointment because the are inconsistencies between Hotel to Hotel when it comes to benefits to Diamond members. There are a few core standards such as the free wifi and breakfast which our Hotel does provide for Diamond Members. I will contact you offline to further discuss.