“Nice location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
So Cal
“Nice location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

This is an excellant location to base your D.C. trip from. Taking the metro couldn't be easier because it's directly across from the hotel. If you're going to explore Alexandria, then take the hotel van which runs until 10:00pm. The usual great Embassy quality is present at this hotel and you won't be disappointed. Though try to get your room away from the third floor elevator because that's where everyone using the pool seems to meet. Theisman's Restaurant was very nice and very close by.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

Our stay here was wonderful. This hotel more than met our needs for our sightseeing trip to Washington DC. With the King Street Metro right across the street we were able to access everything we wanted to see through the Metro Rail & Bus systems. We flew into Reagan National and two stops later on the Metro we were at our hotel (took about 7 minutes). Absolutely no need to rent a car – use public transportation – safe and easy. The breakfast buffet every morning was more the adequate and provided enough variety to use all 6 mornings that we were there. The staff was very pleasant. The free shuttle to Old Towne Alexandria was quick and efficient. The hotel was pretty and clean. The only thing that could have been better is for the hotel to completely eliminate smoking from its premises, but that’s just a Californian’s biased opinion. But even though they allowed smoking in the atium area, the rooms did not smell smoky.

• Stayed April 2006
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

I stayed in a suite on the 7th floor on May 23rd.

The suites are spacious - there's a living area with a TV, a couch, a table and 4 chairs. Then there's a small hallway with a (rather old) coffee machine and bathroom, and finally a large bedroom with two double beds and a TV.

I arrived late - 11pm to check in, and the first room smelt very badly of smoke - I was moved promptly with no fuss.

Next morning at about 7am I went to the pool on the 3rd floor for a swim. The pool is OK - maybe a little on the small size. I was pretty aghast at the fact that there is no changing room - or should I say that the room available for changing is a disabled access/mens toilet! There is nowhere to sit and change, no lockers, bare tiles on floors, no showers...... it just has a toilet and a sink. Ugh! It just can't be hygenic. I love a swim in the morning, but I couldn't bring myself to change in this area. Big black mark.

The shower was a little low on pressure, but was OK. Again, nothing to rave about, but nothing to complain about. I rather like the normal Hilton shower heads where you can adjust for different settings - this one just had a normal head.

Breakfast was good. Self service. Some queues formed but nothing to delay me too much. Buffet style - another review covers it pretty well.

I had a problem with internet access, and the problem was efficiently dealt with by customer service. They appear to be switching from wireless to wired, so bring a cable with you as they may not have any at the front desk.

Overall, I paid $250 for one night - $300 including taxes. I think it's expensive, and for that price I would expect free internet access, a newer and better coffee machine, and a better shower - I would expect better than OK. What I got was just OK. No real faults, but nothing to bring me back either......

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

We just returned from a three night visit. We arrived around midnight and the front desk clerk was fairly incompetent. The room we were given had a broken air conditioner and the room was boiling hot. We called down and they switched our room fairly quickly to a much better working air conditioner. The hotel seems older and they really need to check the filters on their air conditoning systems. Our new room was very nice. The room was spacious, clean and had all the amenities that we needed. It was very comfortable.

The breakfast was great! Included in the price of the room. Also, the happy hour with free alcohol in the late afternoons was a very nice touch.

The pool was nice with an outdoor sundeck. They kept the water temperature nice and warm. We enjoyed the small hot tub too.

The hotel is directly across the street fron the King Street Metro station. It is very conveniiently located to getting around the city. The location of the hotel isn't real close to the Old Town proper, but the hotel offers a free shuttle and it is useful in a piinch.

We stored our bags the last day to tour before our flight. The bellman didn't seem able to read the numbers on the claim ticket. We had to go back in the storage area and find our own bags.

Overall the hotel is adequate, but some of the help is not.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

I spent nearly a week at the Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandria and loved every minute. It has a great location with it being across the street from the Metro Station which made it very easy to travel to Washington, DC everyday. It was very nice to visit King Street where there are lots of great shops and restaurants and its close to the movies. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Also there's free happy hour and a nice breakfast buffet. I got a great deal for such a low price. The shuttle service takes you anywhere within 10 miles for free.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!