“Newly renovated rooms very nice” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Big on Parking!
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
“Newly renovated rooms very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have stayed here several times before and thought the rooms were getting rather tired looking. They've been renovating, and say they are almost done. The room we had this time was in a newly developed addition, where the old restaurant was, I believe. We had a "King Studio" (less expensive than the traditional suites). To get to these new rooms, you go through the atrium and use the Parking Elevator to go up a floor. We had a room near the new Fitness Center. It faced the Alexandria side of the hotel and was very quiet - almost no street noise, and the room is near the end of the hall. We never saw or heard anyone else in the hallway, although the hotel was rather full. This studio configuration had only one room, but it did have a sitting area and an area with the typical microwave/refrigerator/sink. Everything was new and tastefully decorated. There were plenty of plugs and a nice flat-screen TV. Note, however, that there was only one TV, and it was rather difficult to see from the sofa. All the staff members we encountered were pleasant and professional. The lady who made the breakfast omelets was good at cooking your order exactly as requested. By the way, the Fitness Center is very large and has a lot of equipment, but we didn't see many people using it. It is a bit hidden away from the main hotel but definitely looked worth checking out. As always, our favorite thing about this hotel is the location. We fly into Reagan Airport and take the Metro two stops. When you exit at the Old Town/King St Station, the hotel is almost right across the street. Nice neighborhood. They also have a shuttle that will take you short distances. We always look forward to staying here, and will definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room in the newly developed section, accessed through the parking garage elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your continued patronage. I am pleased that the new rooms are to your liking and that you plan on returning to our property when visiting the DC/VA area. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We enjoyed time at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria! The facility is undergoing a major renovation of the rooms - and we were in one that had not yet been renovated. It was a little worn, but clean and comfortable - I would love to see the renovated suites and may have to schedule a return visit.

The Embassy Suites is across the street from the King Street metro station - a big plus for us as we didn't want to test our fate with DC traffic! There is also a free trolly that runs from the metro station to the waterfront down King Street - this made exploring Alexandria fun and easy. There is also a Whole Foods about a block away.

The hotel offers a cooked to order breakfast in the morning which was more than adequate - fresh omelets, pancakes, bacon, as well as the usual yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, and such. We were there over a weekend - and breakfast space was limited after about 9am - but the hotel posted the best hours for breakfast, so we were warned!

I liked the facility - the staff was friendly and helpful. Parking was in the building - $26.00 per night - be warned to keep your room key after checking out because you need it to retrieve your car. The difficulty leaving the garage even with our paid receipt was the only downer we experienced.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a renovated room...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that your week-end at our property was pleasant and hope that you will be able to visit us in the near future to witness first-hand the updates to our rooms. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Lincoln, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a few days for a conference. The meeting rooms were great. Lovely breakfast, very typical of an embassy suites. Meal service for the meetings was prompt and delicious, not normal conference foods. Our guest room was spacious and clean but not newly renovated or updated. I had no complaints with the hotel. It was within walking distance of several stores and restaurants. That was a nice surprise.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and meeting room accommodations. I am pleased that you were able to appreciate the meeting room facility and the catered food provided by our Chef. I do believe that you are right and that our catered food far surpasses the “normal”, food offered at other meeting room venues. I hope that you will be able to return to our hotel soon and stay in our newly renovated suites. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed 7 nights at the hotel. We chose because of location, past experience with Embassy Suites, and Hilton Honors. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The furniture show wear but the beds are firm, the way we like it. The breakfast is excellent for those who eat meat and eggs, not so for those of us who prefer sliced turkey and English Muffins. Fruit and juices are available. The staff is great. The lobby area is lovely although not comfortable for someone like me who is recovering from hip replacement surgery. Most of the time, I brought my breakfast to my room, where a dining table and comfortable chair were available. Appreciate the in room refrigerator and microwave.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for choosing our hotel for your “Pied-À-Terre”, while visiting with family. We appreciate that with all the hotels in the area that you chose our Embassy Suites. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Becket, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Though short-handed for the holiday, the staff was very pleasant. Only the bartender and one waitress to handle the restaurant and lounge, and they pitched in to help each other in a friendly way. Our room on 8 was recently refurbished and could not have been nicer. Parking in adjacent garage is one of those programmed electric keycards that don't work the first time, so you have to go back to the desk for reprogramming to get out in the morning. Hate those things. Only complaint.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that our staff was attentive and provided you with good service and that you were able to stay in one of our newly renovated rooms. Typically, when a guest checks out after noon, our Front Office Agents need to extend their room key by 15 minutes, so that they may be able to exit the hotel. The keys themselves will automatically deactivate at check- out time which is 12:00 noon. I will have to check with our Front Office Manager to see why it happened to you at check in and thank you for bringing this to my attention. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was once my favorite hotel in the DC area. As others have mentioned, they are undergoing much needed renovations, but I think the staff needs more training, and perhaps "renovation" as well. This was a business trip for me, and when I came in to register, there were two people at the front desk, but it seems only one of them knew how to check people in. Thus, there was a pretty long wait to get registered and get your room key. Then, they gave me a room that looked like it was either just vacated by a guest, or was still occupied by someone (the lights were "on", the ironing board was set up in the living room, etc.) I returned to the front desk to report this, and the staff basically blew me off. They handed me a key to a new room, and that was that. No apology, no explanation, and what really stunk was the new room they gave was the furthest from the elevator, and the ice machine had been removed from the area. I'm mobility impaired and walk with a cane, so yes, more distance to walk is more than an inconvenience, it is literally, a pain for me. Also, the room across the hall from me was being renovated, and the workers were LOUD. As well as construction noise, there was a lot of loud talking and laughing by the workers. On the last night of my stay, the lights suddenly went out around 5:30 p.m. Thankfully, I had a small flashlight with me. We came to find out later that a transformer had blown out and had affected several blocks in the area. The power was out for about six hours, but at no time did the hotel staff check on the guests, or try to call us to let us know what was happening. Some of my colleagues told me the next morning that they were stuck in their darkened rooms during this whole time, and that every time they tried to walk around their rooms, they kept bumping into furniture. As I checked out the next morning, the front desk staff made no attempt to explain or apologize for the power outage the night before. I realize this was not the hotel's fault, but as a guest, I would hope my host would have taken the time to explain what happened, and apologize for any inconvenience. This was my worst stay ever in any Embassy Suites site, which is really a shame considering my previous stays there had always been very pleasant. Maybe my experience was just an anomoly, but I have serious doubts if I will stay at the Embassy Suites the next time I am in the Washington, DC area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am saddened that we have failed to provide you with the service you were accustomed to over the years and that the transformer blow-out contributed to your discomfort. Should you be inclined to do so, I would very much appreciate speaking with you in detail about your stay. Please call the hotel so I may be able to review your reservation and address your concerns. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Las Vegas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

In love the Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandria. The staff is always friendly ay time of day. The use of the refreshment area was money well spent for my use. Overall, I love to stay at this locati9on whenever I am in town for work.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased that you choose to stay with us with your travels and hope that we will continue to host you for many years to come. Thank you for your patronage. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!