“Holiday Stay when visiting Relatives” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Big on Parking!
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
California
“Holiday Stay when visiting Relatives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed 7 nights at the hotel. We chose because of location, past experience with Embassy Suites, and Hilton Honors. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The furniture show wear but the beds are firm, the way we like it. The breakfast is excellent for those who eat meat and eggs, not so for those of us who prefer sliced turkey and English Muffins. Fruit and juices are available. The staff is great. The lobby area is lovely although not comfortable for someone like me who is recovering from hip replacement surgery. Most of the time, I brought my breakfast to my room, where a dining table and comfortable chair were available. Appreciate the in room refrigerator and microwave.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for choosing our hotel for your “Pied-À-Terre”, while visiting with family. We appreciate that with all the hotels in the area that you chose our Embassy Suites. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Becket, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Though short-handed for the holiday, the staff was very pleasant. Only the bartender and one waitress to handle the restaurant and lounge, and they pitched in to help each other in a friendly way. Our room on 8 was recently refurbished and could not have been nicer. Parking in adjacent garage is one of those programmed electric keycards that don't work the first time, so you have to go back to the desk for reprogramming to get out in the morning. Hate those things. Only complaint.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that our staff was attentive and provided you with good service and that you were able to stay in one of our newly renovated rooms. Typically, when a guest checks out after noon, our Front Office Agents need to extend their room key by 15 minutes, so that they may be able to exit the hotel. The keys themselves will automatically deactivate at check- out time which is 12:00 noon. I will have to check with our Front Office Manager to see why it happened to you at check in and thank you for bringing this to my attention. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was once my favorite hotel in the DC area. As others have mentioned, they are undergoing much needed renovations, but I think the staff needs more training, and perhaps "renovation" as well. This was a business trip for me, and when I came in to register, there were two people at the front desk, but it seems only one of them knew how to check people in. Thus, there was a pretty long wait to get registered and get your room key. Then, they gave me a room that looked like it was either just vacated by a guest, or was still occupied by someone (the lights were "on", the ironing board was set up in the living room, etc.) I returned to the front desk to report this, and the staff basically blew me off. They handed me a key to a new room, and that was that. No apology, no explanation, and what really stunk was the new room they gave was the furthest from the elevator, and the ice machine had been removed from the area. I'm mobility impaired and walk with a cane, so yes, more distance to walk is more than an inconvenience, it is literally, a pain for me. Also, the room across the hall from me was being renovated, and the workers were LOUD. As well as construction noise, there was a lot of loud talking and laughing by the workers. On the last night of my stay, the lights suddenly went out around 5:30 p.m. Thankfully, I had a small flashlight with me. We came to find out later that a transformer had blown out and had affected several blocks in the area. The power was out for about six hours, but at no time did the hotel staff check on the guests, or try to call us to let us know what was happening. Some of my colleagues told me the next morning that they were stuck in their darkened rooms during this whole time, and that every time they tried to walk around their rooms, they kept bumping into furniture. As I checked out the next morning, the front desk staff made no attempt to explain or apologize for the power outage the night before. I realize this was not the hotel's fault, but as a guest, I would hope my host would have taken the time to explain what happened, and apologize for any inconvenience. This was my worst stay ever in any Embassy Suites site, which is really a shame considering my previous stays there had always been very pleasant. Maybe my experience was just an anomoly, but I have serious doubts if I will stay at the Embassy Suites the next time I am in the Washington, DC area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am saddened that we have failed to provide you with the service you were accustomed to over the years and that the transformer blow-out contributed to your discomfort. Should you be inclined to do so, I would very much appreciate speaking with you in detail about your stay. Please call the hotel so I may be able to review your reservation and address your concerns. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Las Vegas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

In love the Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandria. The staff is always friendly ay time of day. The use of the refreshment area was money well spent for my use. Overall, I love to stay at this locati9on whenever I am in town for work.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased that you choose to stay with us with your travels and hope that we will continue to host you for many years to come. Thank you for your patronage. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Fredericksburg, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night the weekend before Christmas. The hotel was full of Redskin fans that were attending the game. Do not get the demo rooms. They may have deficiencies. The staff is very responsive. Also get your room near the elevator or you may have a very long walk.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I hope that your stay was pleasant and appreciate your comments. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This was my 3rd stay at the Embassy Suites in Old Town; the location can't be beat, they are right across the street from the Metro. Two stops from DCA, and an easy walk to the shops on King Street. The rooms are in need of renovation, but that is happening right now. The lobby was recently renovated and is very nice. As with every Embassy Suites you'll go broke if you buy more than one drink at the bar, so be certain to hit the manager's reception. The breakfast is very good, but I'd stay away from the French Toast, it was barely warm.

Room Tip: If you get the rooms over by the parking garage without an outside window your "bedroom" i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and for being a repeat guest. I am always pleased to welcome back our repeat guests and appreciate your loyalty. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Washington DC, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Hotel is average for the area, but currently undergoing renovations to improve it. Would stay there again as the location is great, next to the Washington DC metro system. Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. Please come back and see us when our renovations are complete at the end of January 2014. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!