“Great location, excellent value, great for kids or business and pleasure.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town

Offers & Announcements
From $109 w Breakfast!
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Haydock, United Kingdom
“Great location, excellent value, great for kids or business and pleasure.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stayed 7 nights and found the location excellent for exploring and visiting Washington DC without the extremely high prices of Central Washington. With the Metro into Washington just across the road outside and a return ticket for $7 it was most convenient, The Pentagon and Arlington National cemetery just a couple of stops away.
The hotel was good the room more than adequate with a fridge and microwave in a mini kitchen, but strangely not cutlery or crockery provided. But still very handy for warming up pizza or a take away meal from the supermarket which is just 5 mins walk away.
Room clean and housekeeping service very good and efficient. A very good buffet or cooked to order breakfast is included every morning, but did get busy at weekend. Best of all is the Managers drinks time between 1730!- 1900 every evening. Beer, wine, soft drinks free. With small service charge $2.5 for spirits. ( be careful of have a Bacardi as for some reason this appears to be the only spirit not included and was charges €10.5 for a small mearsure. ( caught only once). Lobby and even the hotel corridors little messy after this event due to all the free popcorn being dropped and carried back to rooms, could be cleaned up sooner as it wad not until the cleaners arrived next morning was it cleaned up.
All in all a excellent experience with Alexandria itself being a very nice quaint colonial town, with lots of restaurants and shops down King Street, which has a free trolley bus up and down until 1015 pm every evening. Always very impressed how clean and graffiti free that both Alexandria and Washington is. I have travelled all over the world and in my opinion Washington is the cleanest and most interesting city I have every been to. ( including Singapore ). A week is not long enough to enjoy all the sites and buildings of the Smithsonian museums ( think there are 19 separate large buildings with more to come) the Air and Space museum is a absolute must.
Very enjoyable stay and would recommend to anyone wanting a affordable base for all these attractions.

Room Tip: Free wifi throughout the hotel, better signal with rooms with inside windows in to Atrium.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for such a detailed review. I am very pleased that you were able to enjoy your stay and take advantage of the numerous sightseeing opportunities that the DC area has to offer. I will forward this review to our Food and Beverage Director, so he may address the cleanliness issue you brought to our attention, thank you. Please come back and see us soon. Best Regards and Happy Holidays…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Stuart, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We were here on business and had a very nice experience. Our room was spacious and well appointed. Very good breakfast and the managers reception every evening was well attended and very popular. Metro station is across the street and the free King Street Trolley picks up there as well.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am so please that your business travels brought you to us, and that your stay was pleasant. I hope to be able to welcome you again soon. Best Regards and Happy Holidays … MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Corvallis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

When I arrived, the City was experiencing a power outage in Old Town. I got off the Metro and there weren't any lights to guide me to the hotel, there wasn't anyone at the door to explain about the power outage. The front desk said that they couldn't check me in at the time, so I had to wait. They didn't give me a food or drink ticket, they just told me to wait. When I was able to get into my room, the power was still off -- they didn't give me a flashlight or a glow stick so I could see in the room. The room was very stuffy so I tried to open the door to the small porch; it was bolted shut. The staff told me that none of their windows open; when my husband called to complain about the room being stuffy, they told him that the window could be opened for circulation. If you wanted a glow stick, you had to go back down to the front desk and request one. We were told that if we checked out that night and went elsewhere, there wouldn't be a charge; but if we stayed there would be no break in the rate because of the power outage. The power was out for 71/2 hours. No Thank you - never again great view or not.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. How unfortunate that you were checked in during the black-out, I can appreciate how frustrating it was to not be able to have power to the room. As you stated, this occurrence extended well into Old Town and could not be helped. I am very concerned however, that our Front Office Agents did not try to make you more comfortable while you waited to be checked in, or provide you with glow-sticks for your room. This will be addressed by our Front Office Manager. Please reach out to me at the hotel. I would appreciate discussing these issues with you personally. Best Regards... MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Huntington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was our second stay and we can't wait to go back. The hotel is right across the street from the Metro that goes directly to the Smithsonian station. Suites are large enough for a family and the kids love the managers reception at night. Could use some flatwear/plates/ glasses in the kitchenette, but other than that, it has everything you need.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. So wonderful that you were able to visit us again, perhaps for your next visit, we can provide dishware and flatware from our kitchen area? I look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I chose this hotel for our family's trip to Washington, D.C. because 1) it sleeps a family of six; 2) it's across the street from the Metro station; and 3) the price is fair. I was very happy with the decision to stay here.

We were in room 812, on the "premium" floor with a room overlooking the Metro station and the George Washington Masonic Memorial. Though the room was standard for Embassy Suites, it had recently been upgraded with new bathroom fixtures, and the sofabed was unlike any other we'd seen. It was so comfortable that our girls claimed it as theirs throughout our stay, instead of trading off with their brothers each night as we usually do. The room was spacious with plenty of space to set our suitcases and a nice armoire for coats and other stuff. The additional bar sink in the hallway, across from the bathroom, was an added convenience.

Breakfast was excellent, with made-to-order eggs and pancakes/french toast/etc. available each day. The breakfast seating area is large, though our group of six usually had to split up into two tables. The nightly manager's reception consists of complimentary beer/wine/sangria/soft drinks and popcorn, chips, crackers and cheese, and veggies and dip. One disappointment was attempting to order from the happy hour menu in the reception area and being told that the two items we wanted (of the six listed on the menu) are no longer available.

The King Street Metro station is very conveniently located across the street, and though our room faced the station, we heard very few trains (maybe just when Amtrak came through?). The King Street free trolley also picks up in this area. We walked next door to Joe Theismann's for supper one night and had very good food there.

As others have mentioned, the parking garage is very tight. You'll be ok with a minivan, but maneuvering a Suburban or pickup truck would be a definite challenge.

Be sure to check out the various packages available--you might find a better price with a package that includes Internet and/or parking than paying for these things a la cart. We chose the premium package that included free snacks from a case in the hallway, accessible via a code provided at checkin, and also free parking and Internet access.

At about $150 a night for this package, I thought it to be very fairly priced for the amenities and convenience of being right next to the Metro station and not having to worry about parking downtown or catching a shuttle to a station. It took 25-30 minutes to get to the main sites via Metro train.

The rooms are being re-done through January 2014; they are working from the top (8th floor) down and were on the 7th floor at the end of November. Posted signs say noise will only be made during daytime hours.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to families of five or six people visiting Washington, D.C.

Room Tip: 8th floor "premium" rooms have access to a snack station and are quiet due to being on the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your extensive review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you will recommend us to your friends and family. I appreciate your patronage and look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed at the Embassy Suites for 4 days. Our room was located on the side of the metro and the view of the George Washington Masonic Memorial was absolutely stunning, specifically during sunset, sunrise and at night. I did not hear any noise coming from the metro (maybe because I am a heavy sleeper). The room itself was very comfortable and most importantly very clean! The restaurant Caprese was very good and served food till late night. Breakfast was always crowded but I do like the added touch of having my eggs or pancakes made the way I wanted it to with the ingredients that I wanted (instead of the regular buffet eggs). The evening Manager's reception was also a nice touch. The snacks are nothing to keel over for but at least there is free beer and wine.

The location is perfect. It is directly across of the easy-to-use metro, the free King Street trolley and multiple free shuttles to several other locations. It is a 20 minute walk to the end of King Street/Old Street. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to stay in this area.

Room Tip: If you are a heavy sleeper as to not here the sound of the passing metro's than by all means cho...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary “Made to order Breakfast” and the “Manager’s Reception” with free beer and wine and snacks. These services coupled with our spacious suites, in my opinion, offer an enticing advantage over other hotel venues in the area. Please come back and see us soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Honolulu, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This hotel is an excellent place to enjoy both Alexandria and Washington DC. It is just across the street from the King Street Metro stop and all of the DC metro area is just a short train trip away! The warm and friendly staff can help you get to the areas on interest and their shuttle service will drop off and pick up within a 2 mile radius! Very helpful to visit areas just around the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had a nice stay and I will look forward to your return. Best Regards...MaryAnne Russell

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!