“Great location for a visit to DC area” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $119!
Ranked #14 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Rutherford, New Jersey, United States
“Great location for a visit to DC area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here last year and was amazingly disappointed. Tried them again and they have turned the place around. Good service, clean, and friendly. Perfect location to jump on the metro across the street to get anywhere you want to go in DC. It was truly a pleasure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for writing this review and giving us another chance. I appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to make things better and I am pleased that we did not disappoint and that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us soon. Best Regards…Mary Anne Russell

855 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Lake George, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was optimistic and overall I'm satisfied with our stay at the Embassy Suites Alexandria...but there were some issues;

Arrival: We arrived just after 8pm Friday evening and there was no one in the check-in line. We were greeted and were checked in with in minutes. The front desk staff was nice and helpful.

Room: We were given room # 311. The room overall was nice. The room was clean and there was no issues during our stay with housekeeping. The room had a view of the Metro Station and a little view of the George Washington Masonic Memorial. There was really no noise from the Metro at all. The only time we heard noise was from the Amtrak or freight trains passing by and that was not often.
Living room: The room was a good size with a sofa, a chair, a small dining table, flat screen TV and a wet bar. All of the furniture was in good shape. The only not so great thing was the sofa. The sofa was uncomfortable to sit in and the sofa "bed" was not a real bed just some three pads. The design of the sofa is flawed and it questions who decided this was a good purchase.
Bathroom: The bathroom was small which for the size of the overall suite also makes you wonder who designed the space proportions. The bathroom had a nice solid surface counter but the actual wood like base of the sink was in poor condition. The tub/shower combo had what appeared to be one of those "bath saver" applications to make the tub look better but there was one major issues. The installation of the "bath saver" was poor and there is a gap between the old tub and the new tub which is filled with water. So when you are taking a shower it feels like you are walking on a pillow and could be a safety hazard. Again whoever was responsible for the "upgrade" of this unit did a poor job in the bathroom.
The bedroom; The room was nice, the bed was comfortable and the amount of room was good. The TV in the bedroom didn't work as well as the living room TV, had lines and some reception issues.

Parking: I have heard many people complain about the cost of parking, which I believe is currently $27 a night. There are other options...About two blocks East from the hotel on Duke Street (I believe the address is 1600 Duke) there is a parking garage that is free after 4pm daily and free all day on weekends, they also allow 24 hour parking. So if you arrive after 4pm on a Friday the whole weekend you can have free parking at this parking garage. Option two, on Diagonal Road (the road the hotel entrance is on) there are two hour parking spots, some are enforced until 5pm and some until 7pm. If you can find one of these parking spots then again you can have free parking. Option three, if you go to the Alexandria Visitor Center on the corner of King Street and North Fairfax Street they provide free 24 hour parking certificates to visitors that can be renewed once during your stay. These certificated allow you to use city owned metered parking for free up to 24 hours. So you can find a metered parking space near the hotel and park for free. Also Sunday parking is free in Alexandria.

A couple of other things...Like I said we didn't have noise issues from the Metro but in the living room area there is a window that faces out towards the open hotel lobby below that did have a large amount of noise during the day and evening. There was also kids running around at most times, unknown where their parents were or hotel security? Also when we arrived at the hotel we were on Duke Street and attempted to enter the hotel through that entrance but it was locked and had no signage on the door telling you where to go.

Overall it was a good stay at good hotel.

Room Tip: Parking: I have heard many people complain about the cost of parking, which I believe is currently...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and allowing us the opportunity to check room 311, for the issues you encountered. I will have our engineering department attend to these. I hope that for your next visit to the DC area, you will be back to see us. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Spent 5 Nights at this hotel in April 2013 while visiting Washington DC Area. Easy access to MetroRail for trips into DC. Room was clean and comfortable. Maid service was excellent for the stay. Breakfast and Managers Reception were as expected for Embassy Suites. Parking garage is easy to access. I would avoid this hotel if you drive a large vehicle. The parking garage has excellent lighting but has many support columns and very tight parking spaces. No issue with smaller cars and crossover SUV's. It would have been very tight with a larger SUV. We did not utilize the pool or fitness center so I can not comment on those areas. I would stay here again on trips to the Washington DC area. The proximity to the MetroRail, Old Town and Interstates make this location a definite winner.

Room Tip: We always prefer higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your nice comment about our housekeeping staff. I will forward this review to the Executive Housekeeper. As you stated, parking can be tricky. We do however, have larger spaces available on a first come basis and guests are encouraged to inquire at check in. We look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I really enjoyed our stay at the Embassy Suites Alexandria. The suite was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is directly across the street from the King Street Metro which was awesome. Also convenient to local highways. You can also pick up the free trolley that will take you through Old Town.

Breakfast selection in the Atrium was good and the staff was super friendly and very accommodating. In the afternoons they have a happy hour offering snacks and drinks. There is also a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance, as well as a Whole Foods.

Ordered Room Service one night. It was pricey and average. My pasta dish was hot and very tasty. Other selections were pretty much overpriced bar food. Paying for the convenience of having it brought to you, but it won't knock your socks off.

Parking - you can pay the hotel $26 a day to park in their garage or do like I did and play roulette (and win). Parking at King Street Metro is free on the weekends, though I do hear there is a plan to get rid of the parking there. I was only at the hotel for short periods of time so on weeknights, we put $ in the meter at the metro (parking is LIMITED, read the signs, and you can't leave it overnight) but on a Fri night after the commuters are done, its easy and available. Moved it to a street spot late at night. Another day we parked 1 metro stop away for $4.50 and took a 1 minute ride to the hotel. Weekends, many metro stops have free parking so we did that on Saturday and took 1 min ride home. On the last day of my stay I read about the visitor parking program which is great. Stop by the Visitor's Center on the other end of King Street and you can get a 24 hour visitor pass that allows you to park at any metered spot at no charge. Awesome! Only downside is you need a new pass each day so if you are there on a multi-day stay, you'll need to go back to the Visitors Center. I hear they enforce the parking meters pretty hard so be careful. If you do choose the hotel parking and have a large car or large SUV, they will direct you to a different garage about 50 yards before hotel entrance that appears to be closed (but isn't) that requires your room key for entry. Friends who stayed in the hotel told me the garage spaces were very tight. So instead of paying $104 for parking, I instead spent less than $10. Sure I had to inconvenience myself slightly, sure but my wallet still said thank you (and all it cost me was 2 extra minutes on the Metro or a walk across the street.

Overall, this is a great alternative to staying in DC (short Metro ride away) and very convenient to Old Town. Accommodations are spacious, comfortable, and love the Embassy breakfast!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am please that your stay was pleasant and that you enjoyed the hotel services. I am concerned however, that your experience with our restaurant was not all it could have been and that you were disappointed. I will provide this information to our Food and Beverage Director for review. Although parking is available on site at the hotel, it is wonderful, that you were able to secure parking close by and at minimal cost. This is a great alternative for those who, like you said, don’t mind to be slightly inconvenienced. I look forward to your next visit to the DC area. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this Embassy Suites in late April 2013 for the Nike Women's Half Marathon. The hotel is located right across the street from both the King Street Metro Station (blue and yellow line) and the Amtrak Station. On the Metro line, it's just a seven or eight minute ride (2 stops) to Reagan National Airport. Additionally, you can take the Metro in to "DC Proper" and be there in approximately 20 minutes. There's also a zip car area at the King Street Metro Station, so if you're in need of a car for just a few hours, you have that option. The hotel is also within walking distance or trolley ride (which is free!) of many shops, restaurants, bars, etc.

Other positives: The staff was great, the breakfast was really good, and the nightly manager's reception is a nice touch (although unlike a lot of Embassy Suites, only beer and wine is complimentary here - there's a charge for cocktails). I didn't get a chance to visit the pool or gym, but both are present at the hotel.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Congratulations on your marathon. I am pleased that our hotel was able to be a place of relaxation and replenishment and hope that you will stay with us for your next marathon as well. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Madeira Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Located directly off the King St. exit of the Metro, this hotel has been fantastic. Clean rooms, soft beds, and a great breakfast buffet make the stay easy. The atrium and public areas are beautiful. The room suites are large and the fridge and microwave in each one make it convenient when you have leftovers.

• Stayed May 2013
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently drove up to New York and decided to stay over & visit few of my favorite shops in Old Town on the trip home. Hotels are hard to find spur of the moment near DC; there is always something going on. I found a room at the Embassy Suites and was very pleased. The location is perfect: the free Old Town Trolley stops right out front and runs every 15 mins. The parking was onsite and reasonable, the room was clean and modern. But the best amenities by far were the fresh, warm cookies in the evening, the 24 hour coffee and tea service and the free breakfast in the morning. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was a quick trip but I will definitely return with my husband for a weekend and stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Elevator just a tad slow; stay on lower floors if you are in a hurry or have limited time.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am so pleased that you decided to stay with us for a short visit and that you enjoyed our hotel. How fortunate that during your stay, you were greeted with a little something extra, the fresh warm cookies, as these are not offered nightly. I look forward to your next visit to our area and thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Old Town. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!