“Very Good Hotel & Convenient to the Metro” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Big on Parking!
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Philadelphia, PA
“Very Good Hotel & Convenient to the Metro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I really enjoyed our stay at the Embassy Suites Alexandria. The suite was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is directly across the street from the King Street Metro which was awesome. Also convenient to local highways. You can also pick up the free trolley that will take you through Old Town.

Breakfast selection in the Atrium was good and the staff was super friendly and very accommodating. In the afternoons they have a happy hour offering snacks and drinks. There is also a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance, as well as a Whole Foods.

Ordered Room Service one night. It was pricey and average. My pasta dish was hot and very tasty. Other selections were pretty much overpriced bar food. Paying for the convenience of having it brought to you, but it won't knock your socks off.

Parking - you can pay the hotel $26 a day to park in their garage or do like I did and play roulette (and win). Parking at King Street Metro is free on the weekends, though I do hear there is a plan to get rid of the parking there. I was only at the hotel for short periods of time so on weeknights, we put $ in the meter at the metro (parking is LIMITED, read the signs, and you can't leave it overnight) but on a Fri night after the commuters are done, its easy and available. Moved it to a street spot late at night. Another day we parked 1 metro stop away for $4.50 and took a 1 minute ride to the hotel. Weekends, many metro stops have free parking so we did that on Saturday and took 1 min ride home. On the last day of my stay I read about the visitor parking program which is great. Stop by the Visitor's Center on the other end of King Street and you can get a 24 hour visitor pass that allows you to park at any metered spot at no charge. Awesome! Only downside is you need a new pass each day so if you are there on a multi-day stay, you'll need to go back to the Visitors Center. I hear they enforce the parking meters pretty hard so be careful. If you do choose the hotel parking and have a large car or large SUV, they will direct you to a different garage about 50 yards before hotel entrance that appears to be closed (but isn't) that requires your room key for entry. Friends who stayed in the hotel told me the garage spaces were very tight. So instead of paying $104 for parking, I instead spent less than $10. Sure I had to inconvenience myself slightly, sure but my wallet still said thank you (and all it cost me was 2 extra minutes on the Metro or a walk across the street.

Overall, this is a great alternative to staying in DC (short Metro ride away) and very convenient to Old Town. Accommodations are spacious, comfortable, and love the Embassy breakfast!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am please that your stay was pleasant and that you enjoyed the hotel services. I am concerned however, that your experience with our restaurant was not all it could have been and that you were disappointed. I will provide this information to our Food and Beverage Director for review. Although parking is available on site at the hotel, it is wonderful, that you were able to secure parking close by and at minimal cost. This is a great alternative for those who, like you said, don’t mind to be slightly inconvenienced. I look forward to your next visit to the DC area. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this Embassy Suites in late April 2013 for the Nike Women's Half Marathon. The hotel is located right across the street from both the King Street Metro Station (blue and yellow line) and the Amtrak Station. On the Metro line, it's just a seven or eight minute ride (2 stops) to Reagan National Airport. Additionally, you can take the Metro in to "DC Proper" and be there in approximately 20 minutes. There's also a zip car area at the King Street Metro Station, so if you're in need of a car for just a few hours, you have that option. The hotel is also within walking distance or trolley ride (which is free!) of many shops, restaurants, bars, etc.

Other positives: The staff was great, the breakfast was really good, and the nightly manager's reception is a nice touch (although unlike a lot of Embassy Suites, only beer and wine is complimentary here - there's a charge for cocktails). I didn't get a chance to visit the pool or gym, but both are present at the hotel.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Congratulations on your marathon. I am pleased that our hotel was able to be a place of relaxation and replenishment and hope that you will stay with us for your next marathon as well. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Madeira Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Located directly off the King St. exit of the Metro, this hotel has been fantastic. Clean rooms, soft beds, and a great breakfast buffet make the stay easy. The atrium and public areas are beautiful. The room suites are large and the fridge and microwave in each one make it convenient when you have leftovers.

• Stayed May 2013
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently drove up to New York and decided to stay over & visit few of my favorite shops in Old Town on the trip home. Hotels are hard to find spur of the moment near DC; there is always something going on. I found a room at the Embassy Suites and was very pleased. The location is perfect: the free Old Town Trolley stops right out front and runs every 15 mins. The parking was onsite and reasonable, the room was clean and modern. But the best amenities by far were the fresh, warm cookies in the evening, the 24 hour coffee and tea service and the free breakfast in the morning. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was a quick trip but I will definitely return with my husband for a weekend and stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Elevator just a tad slow; stay on lower floors if you are in a hurry or have limited time.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am so pleased that you decided to stay with us for a short visit and that you enjoyed our hotel. How fortunate that during your stay, you were greeted with a little something extra, the fresh warm cookies, as these are not offered nightly. I look forward to your next visit to our area and thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Old Town. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

You can't beat this location but sometimes the staff isn't too smart on helping you get the type of room you prefer. We have Hilton Honors Gold membership which should help get us some sort of minimal preference but it doesn't seem to work here. We ask (when making reservation AND at check-in) for a high floor, quiet room away from vending machines. We've stayed here at least 6 times and never got a high floor. This time she gave us a room next to vending machines AND the staff elevator which was NOT quiet. When we checked in at 3 p.m. it was quiet but when the staff went home after 4 p.m.it started whining and rattling. We had to go through the hassle of changing to another room.
If you are going to have children sleeping on the fold-out couch in the living area be forewarned that loud parties and gatherings at the bar/dining area can be .... loud. Fortunately, you can't hear them from the bedroom.
Very, very efficient and friendly woman cooking omelets.
Positive: Location for the King Street Station is perfect and there is a Whole Foods one block behind - convenient for take-out. An excellent choice for tourists.
Negative: There are NO trash cans by the vending machines or elevator. If you get take-out for dinner the dirty containers stay in your room all night and the wastebaskets in the room don't even have plastic bag liners. We like to get food trash like that out of our room at night, are used to taking it down to a vending area, so as to not attact bugs, etc, to the room. People were just putting their food trash outside their doors, it stayed there all night. Not nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am disappointed that your request for a certain type of room could not be fulfilled, as we do try to honor guest requests, as best we can, when available. The corner rooms, by the staff elevator, are usually quiet, but I can understand that as the suitekeepers come and leave for the day, there would be movement and some noise. We do not supply the vending areas with trash cans, in order to prevent incidents of pest infestation. Although we do have staff up on the floors throughout the day looking for trays and trash, we prefer and will gladly remove the trash from your room, upon request, and then bring it directly to the trash room for disposal. Understanding that you had issues with our property during this visit, I am still hopeful that you will visit us again in the future, and offer us an opportunity, to provide you with exceptional service. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Atlanta, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Nice room that was clean and fairly up to date. The hotel is close to the metro and the King street area which was great. We had a problem checking in- told to wait 45 minutes but it was eventually twice that. Also didn't receive anything for our Gold status which sounds picky, but every little bit helps. Parking is an issue and expensive. Breakfast was good but the serving area is very tight and not easily navigated. We would stay again but hope the problems were just a one-time thing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that we were able to reach out to you internally, and that your issues were addressed. We will look forward to your return soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell
Parkton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Embassy Suites in Alexandria is an outstanding hotel. It is conveniently located in Alexandria; right across from the Metro Station. This property has been recently remodeled and is beautiful. Even better than the property is their team. Everyone there is well trained, polite and extremely helpful. Due to my business, I stay there often. They always treat me as family and I have never had any issues on any visit. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all of our guests, but especially like to welcome back our repeat guests. I am pleased that we can be your home away from home, and look forward to your next visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!