“Good location, best for family” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $139!
Ranked #13 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Rochester, New York
“Good location, best for family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Spent one Saturday evening at start of February break with just my wife. Parking is attached and $26/night unless you can find street parking which is probably cheaper but still a fee and seemed like you could only pay for a few hours at a time. Parking is extremely tight so luckily I had a compact car and even that couldn't fit into many of the spots so if its crowded good luck with a truck! The location is great as the Metro and free Old Town trolley are right across the street. Lots of options for eating are either a trolley ride away or within walking distance (like Theisman's next door) depending on how much you want to walk. Waterfront is many blocks away but if you walk fast can probably make it in 15-20 minutes or about 10 on the trolley. The hotel rooms are good size and the beds comfortable but the hotel is pretty much geared to the family. Happy Hour and Free Breakfast were crazy with kids running around and climbing on everything and it's pretty much self-service (couldn't find a concierge) but if you don't mind that then it's a great location and a nice place. Internet isn't free unless you use their business center computers (or Hilton Honors Gold or above member). If I don't have the kids will probably try the Westin next time because I have a feeling it will be a little less crazy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. As you stated our hotel is wonderfully situated, for both the conveniences of the metro into DC or the trolley to the Old Town waterfront. As our hotel does offer the convenience of a 2 room suite, it does appeal to a variety of guests. Of course our breakfast and Manager’s reception is always a welcomed added feature to all. I am concerned that your visit included unyielding children, please be assured that this is not the norm and that the comfort of all our guests is of utmost importance to us. I hope that you will grant us the opportunity to welcome you again and not let this visit, be the basis for your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

826 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was there for a professional meeting and having breakfast included in the room cost made things a lot easier. And healthier than hitting the nearest Starbucks or fast food restaurant.

Staff was very friendly. The first night there all they had was a room with two double beds. When I told them that I'd prefer a king bed since my significant other would be joining me the next night they told me they'd switch me to a king suite as soon as one opened up the next day.

Both rooms were clean, well light (something important when you have reading or work to do), and the table in the living area suitable for work. Some of the furniture e.g., the table and the cabinets in the bathroom looked a bit worn with minor scratches, but it was still usable.

We extended our stay an additional evening since my significant other was in the process of moving to a different place. Friday night saw an influx of school groups and a group of girls for a cheer leading contest. There was some racket in the halls early in the evening but they settled down at a decent hour.

Dinner at the restaurant was rather disappointing. The flatbread and humus was great but the salmon tasted like it was frozen rather than fresh.

The location is ideal-right across from the Metro. It was also nice to find on-street parking both evenings and not have to pay the cost of parking at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable time, and even chose to extend your stay. I am however, concerned with your comments about our restaurant “Caprese”. I will forward this review to our restaurant Chef, in hopes that he might be able to understand what could have transpired to bring about such disappointment with your entree. Being a new restaurant, it is important that we receive such feedback , in order to keep moving forward with our food choices. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Greenup, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has very comfortable surroundings and each room I have stayed in is a suite. The property offers a daily heppy hour with free snacks and is close to some of the best restaurants in town, which are only a short walk. The only cons I would have would be the parking situation for larger vehicles and the lack of a bellman and valet parking, so be prepared to find your own cart and take your luggage to your room and then park your vehicle. I highly recommend that no trucks bigger than half ton be driven to this destination as their are hanging signs that will have to be held up or the truck will strick them in the parking garage. Enjoy, and welcome to Alexandria.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased that your stay was pleasant, and understand the issue with the parking. The hotel shares the underground parking garage with many tenants and because of its proximity and easy access to the King Street Metro station, it is shared with daily parkers as well. The hotel spaces although small in size were chosen for us, based on accessibility and convenience to the hotel for our guests. We do have a few larger spaces that are available on a first come, first served basis, perhaps the next time you visit, you might inquire with the front desk of their location. I am perplexed that you did not encounter our bellman/van driver during your stay. Perhaps his schedule was such, that he was not available when you were in need of him? Nonetheless, I hope that these issues will not prevent you from a future visit to our hotel. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager.
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My room was on the 8th floor and I'm wondering if it was directly under the HVAC unit because it sounded like an airplane was parked on the ceiling. On top of that all of the atrium noise starting at 6am traveled up and into the room. Maybe it was a byproduct of being on the top floor nearest the ceiling? I'm beginning to wonder if once you reach Diamond status they stick you in the worst rooms because they know they already have your business? I can't conceivably stay here again. I could've looked past the uncomfortable pillows and lack of water pressure in the shower, but the constant noise is unbearable.

Room Tip: You might get a quieter room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel. Albeit one that I would much rather never have to receive, it is important for us as hotel management to hear of such issues, since obviously we do not experience these first hand, as our guests do. I am concerned with the extensive noise that you had to contend with during your stay, and as a repeat guest, it saddens me even more to realize that this may be the last time we welcome you to our Embassy Suites. I will no doubt provide this information to our engineering department and see what can be done to alleviate some of the noise disturbance from both the ceiling and the atrium. Please be assured that we value your patronage and would greatly appreciate an opportunity to speak with you directly. Should you be inclined to do so, I would welcome a call from you. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

It is best to visit D.C. without a car.
Take Amtrak (train) to Alexandria or take the train to Washington, then the Metro (subway www.wmata.com) to the King Street Station.
The Embassy Suites is located across the street from both Amtrak's Alexandria station and the Metro's King Street Station.
Enjoy the free breakfast, then get on the Metro and start your visit to D.C. with stops near all of the Washington sites: Museums, War memorial, Washington Monument, Capital, etc.
Get back to the hotel and enjoy the Manager's reception from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. with spirited drinks for $2.50 each or free soft drinks and snacks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I agree that when traveling to DC, if at all possible, the use of public transportation is recommended, as it will prevent much frustration when trying to find parking throughout the city. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable time and were able to partake of the Manager’s Reception. Although we do offer, “spirited drinks” at a cost, the soft drinks, beer and wine are free. Please avail yourself of these during your next visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were a family group staying in three rooms over President's weekend. The front desk staff was able to check us in when we arrived very early (at 9:30 a.m.), and advised us that we were welcome to have breakfast (even though normal check-in time is not until mid-afternoon). So they already made a great impression on us, and the cooked to order breakfast was a treat every day of our stay. The staff that maintains the atrium and dining areas were efficient and did a great job clearing tables, and keeping the buffet tables, clean and well stocked. There is also a happy hour in the huge atrium, and since the hotel was fully booked with a lot of families and children that area did tend to become very noisy.

The rooms are in need of some re-furbishing but are very clean; rooms have microwave, coffee maker & mini fridge. We took advantage of the Whole Foods grocery store just a few minutes away for some take-out meals that were quite good.

We ate one supper at the on-site restaurant "Caprese" where service was slow but pleasant and food was only fair.

Bell services stored our luggage for us on our check-out day so that we could continue with our sightseeing for that day. Very easy to come back to the hotel, pick up luggage and go on our way home.

Metro service directly across the street was convenient and quick into the city, and we were only about twenty minutes by car to Mt. Vernon.

Parking is an extra charge, but I feel that this hotel offered great value for the money and will definitely stay again in the future.

Thanks to all the staff for making our stay there a great one!

Room Tip: all rooms overlook the atrium.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. How wonderful that we had rooms available for your group to check in earlier. I am please that you were able to benefit of the great breakfast we offer daily. As stated in a previous response, we will be updating our furnishings and tub surrounds towards the end of this year and would love to welcome you again when all is done. Our restaurant Caprese has revamped its menu and is now providing new offerings to our guests. Perhaps one of these would be more to your liking? Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
jmrwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Second year in a row we spent at the Embassy for President's day weekend. Nice rooms; great breakfast; and a nice happy hour to wrap up the day. Easy access to the Meto and Old Town.

Free parking on street after 7:00, and free on the weekends so don't pay if you'll be out during the day and just paking at night.

Room Tip: Our room was by the elevator bank. Tried to move, but we checked in late and no other rooms were av...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you chose to stay with us again and that your stay was pleasant. Perhaps on your next stay, you may want to specify on your reservation, that you’d like a room away from the elevator? Although these are requests, our staff will do their very best to accommodate your room location preference. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!