“Location, Location, Location! It's True.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Big on Parking!
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Portland, Oregon
“Location, Location, Location! It's True.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lovely Hotel. Went for Inaugural Weekend. Very festive.

Very Busy. Professional staff. Alberto and everyone at the Front Desk will help you out as best they can.

Metro. Right. There. Blue and Yellow lines. Old Town that way. Free trolley. Free hotel shuttle to Old Town too. History is everywhere.

Big, hot breakfast, cooked your way, with cheery cooks. Go early. Would those hard-working ladies enjoy cooking a higher quality of eggs, sausage and bacon for their guests? I'd say yes.

I don't drink anymore, dang it, but folks had good fun watching Ravens-Patriots playoff game at hotel bar. I like the atrium thing. A bit loud, at times, but friendly. Free wi-fi in lobby. My teen enjoyed that, the small heated indoor pool and the pepperoni pizza at the hotel restaurant. There's a 5 Guys down the street. Theismann's restaurant next door is a classic sports bar with super service. This hotel also has a hidden gift shop that's a nice surprise.

Try and get an upper floor room with view of trains, Capitol Dome and not one, but two George Washington Monuments in the distance.

All in all, Embassy Suites, Alexandria is an excellent value, in a great location, that works for families and anyone who can work the Metro, a great transportation system on its good days.

Room Tip: Like Greek food? You must eat at Taverna Creketou, a half mile or so, down King Street. Best Greek f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed staying here and we look forward to welcoming you again! Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Chantilly, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited the hotel over our Christmas holiday break. We live only 45 minutes away so were looking for a nice hotel with a pool and some nearby sight seeing. This hotel is Beautiful!! Manager reception and breakfast were great. Remember this place is feeding/serving people en masse and it went smoothly.
A few downfalls:
- This is one of the few hotels in the area with a pool (remember you are in a very old, very urban city - DC) so this pool was quite crowded. Also, there was a major shortage of towels - so basically you were held captive in the pool until someone brought towels - several calls to the desk by the lifeguard yielded nothing.
- Front desk staff really does not care about you. They have very little interested in chatting or solving any problems or answering any questions.
- This hotel has to be THE driest place I have ever been! 2am I was ready to call down to ask for a humidifier. We ran the shower, filled the tub, everything! Consider bringing a personal humidifier.

Great things:
- Free shuttle to waterfront. This was great for us, we shuttled down, ate and walked back.
- Across the street from metro (which means you are further from waterfront). Great for getting into downtown DC.
- Good location for Masonic temple visit. Not a major attraction, but it is there.
- Beautiful lobby where managers reception and breakfast are hosted.
- Nice gym.

Overall, enjoyed our stay, will come again.

Room Tip: Use free shuttle to waterfront. Directly across from King street metro. Consider bringing a towel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Although I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will be coming to visit us again, I am concerned that your experience with the pool and especially the front desk left you dissatisfied. Please remain assured that this is not common practice and our staff is usually very attentive and eager to please. I am not sure what can be done with the humidity in the rooms, but I will check with our engineering department nonetheless. Thank you for this information. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Cinnaminson, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Nice Embassy in Alexandria. Directly across the street from King Street Metro. Need to take the hotel shuttle or bus to Old Town Alexandria shopping and restaurants, unless you want a good walk. Managers reception was nothing special and charged for drinks except for 2 draft beers and wine. I thought Embassy Suites gave complimentary well drinks too. Good pool open at 6:30am. Breakfast was typical Embassy. Room has uncomfortable couch, Ok leather chair and nice round table with 3 chairs. Room has frig and microwave.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review, I appreciate that you took the time to provide valuable information to other travelers about our property. Embassy Suites as a brand offers complimentary beverages based on state and local laws, and the city of Alexandria is one of those jurisdictions that will only allow for complimentary beer and wine to be served. I hope this clarifies your issue with the Manager’s reception here on property, and I look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Davie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently took a trip to D.C. 27-30 Dec. I wanted the boys (13,11, and 6) to experience the sites etc... The embassy suites in Alexandria is a terrific hotel and is perfectly situated. I highly recommend staying in Alexandria over D.C (plus king street has several restaurants). This hotel is across from the Metro and getting everywhere is a snap. The hotel could use a little renovating but it was certainly good enough. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was plentiful and I have only good things to say about it.
I recommend:
1. rent a car through price line. I paid $25/day from hertz for a RAV4 at Reagan national. Cars are the only thing I use price line for because the location is not in doubt. I don't necessarily care which company I rent from when I can get such a great deal.
2. Take one evening and go to China town on the metro (7th & H street) and eat at one of the many authentic "city style" Chinese restaurants. Then follow it up with a two block walk to the spy museum. or just walk around the city.
3. take the metro to the national mall (exit Smithsonian) and see all the monuments. Take comfortable shoes because you'll walk about 2-4 miles. It goes fast and is not difficult because of the stops. This will take up to a full day if done right.
4 See the museums. We saw the Holocaust, Natural history, and the Air and Space. All worthwhile. We would have loved to have seen others but were out of time.
good luck.!

Room Tip: They have an indoor heated pool that is just average.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this response and providing valuable information about this area to other guests. We will be renovating our guest rooms with new case goods in 2013 and hope that sometime in the near future you will be able to return to our property and experience the room updates. Best Regards… MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We were very excited about experiencing New Years here. It was incredibly difficult to find the front door but let's consider that an anomaly. The lobby was electric with party goers and complimentary food and drinks. The front desk clerk, though helpful did not know where the hotel's featured events were. The complimentary breakfast was much too crowded and food dry, so we really didn't enjoy it like I wanted. The location was outstanding and central to everything happening in Alexandria.

My only real complaints are the upkeep and employee smoking location. The shower had water damage that was in disrepair. Lastly, while lying in bed, an employee came into the fire escape to smoke a cigarette and was able to look into our room. This creep has obviously done this before and though he didn't look directly into our room, this was very unsettling.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review and allowing us the opportunity to respond to your issues. I will need to review with our engineering and housekeeping department the water damage in your room. Although it is impossible for me to know which room you stayed in, I can certainly have our housekeeping and engineering departments address all rooms needing repair. My most pressing concern is the person that used the fire escape outside your room to smoke a cigarette. We have a designated smoking area on property, and I will reiterate to all, the importance of using this location. Never do we want any of our guests to feel threatened or insecure while staying at our property. Thank you for making me aware of this situation. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Elkhart, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas to see our family. The bathroom had black mold and the toilet rocked. They did not have free in room wi fi even for Hilton Honors members ( web site said they did but front desk would not give log in). They parking was $26 per night even if you were staying longer. other Hotels in Old town are not as much. The breakfast lines were not set up to service the number of guest. Lines for breakfast took 15 min.Then to top it off, the front desk gave someone else our room number and they accessed our room with a key. Told them we were there for three days and it might be a little crowded if they stayed in same room. We have stayed at the Hilton across the street for same price, much better and better service.

Room Tip: Go across the street or to any other Hotel in Old town.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. As you also had issues with the bathroom, I will have this addressed. Our Web Site does offer free Wi Fi to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members. Our parking charge is on par with most hotels in the Alexandria/DC area and does offer unlimited entry and exit, however, there is limited free street parking available nightly between 6 PM and 9 AM. I am concerned about your room being assigned twice and will need to address with our Front Office staff the importance of double checking room assignments before releasing keys to guests. Should you wish to contact me please do so, I would welcome your call. I wish we could have attended to your needs while you were on property and offered you the stay and service you so deserve. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We stay at the Chevy ChaseEmbassy suites every time we visit the DC area. This time we thought we would stay at another location. What a mistake! The breakfast is awful...under cooked eggs & bacon, badly made omlettes, buffet suppose to open at 630 on Fridays...how about try 730. The parking is made for sub compact cars, the furnishings in the rooms are outdated, leaky toilet & uncomfortable seating for the room. The manager's reception is understaffed and stale snacks. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Not sure what updated renovations the manager keeps replying about that are suppose to be finished by 2012...it looks like nothing has been done.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for the review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially when they include areas for improvement. I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of providing exceptional service. We have just recently updated our atrium/Restaurant and Exercise facility and the room renovations will be taking place in the latter part of 2013. We would welcome the opportunity to service you again, the next time you have the opportunity to travel to this area. Please reach out to me before your travels. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!