“From potential bummer to fantastic.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $119!
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Viera, Florida
“From potential bummer to fantastic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We arrived to this hotel on Monday, June 11th for a 4 night stay. The location is absolutely perfect for visiting Washington DC via the metro across the street and Alexandria King street via either the provided shuttle bus or the free trolly that runs from the metro station to the wharf. We entered our suite and found it to be an oven, which refused to be cooled by the available AC. We reported this to the main desk and an engineer came up and played with it for ahile to no avail. We were told thet they were booked and no other rooms were available, but were offered free wireless for the length of our stay. Two days later Victoria the, the sweetheart manning the manning the front desk,offered to move us again and as either it was getting a bit cooler or we were getting used to the heat we declined. She then said she would bill us at half the rate for our room. This was no small deal as the rooms here are pricey. We accepted and decided to extend our stay for 2 more days and she gave us the same rate. Victoria was the star of our trip so far. Even after working an extended very long shift she was still very cheerful and acomodating. The breakfast was a bit crowded at times but the food was excellent. If you take your breakfast before 8, there is usually no line. I will definitely stay here next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast before 8 to avoid lines. The rooms in the front have better views but the rooms in the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is comforting to know that despite the issue you encountered with your room, that Victoria’s excellent customer service was able to remediate the situation. Once again proving, that, “our staff is our best asset!” Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to service you. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Having stayed in the property a few years ago we decided to stay here again for a one night family vacation stop. I cashed in 40k HHonors points for our stay.

Upon arrival we were told that the king room that was confirmed was not available. We do not do well trying to share double beds, so I got a little upset. It is unclear if my room was given away because I was using points or if it was just given away, but this was not a good way to start. When they informed me about the $24 parking charge, I suggested that comping this charge would be a good start toward making things right. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the staffer (Stephen) and went to park the car.

There are ample parking spaces, but these must be the smallest parking places (outside of Europe) I have seen. It took me a few minutes to find a place I could actually get into comfortably, but the distance between pillars and cars in very tight.

Shortly after getting to my room, I received a call informing me that parking would be free and that the 40k HHonors points would be refunded. This was more than I expected in the way of compensation.

The hotel is nice with wide open common areas and a great breakfast center area. It is not shaped quite the same way as many Embassy Suites, so the gift shop and some other doors were not as easy to find. In any event, the common interior is very nice.

Our room was also clean and well appointed. The bathroom had some wear that was a bit too obvious in the cabinets and grout. Two TV's and fridge are great for a family stay. Typically Emabssy Suites have worked very well for our family stays.

The hotel is very convenient to Old Town as we walked the full length of King St. and really enjoyed everything in between. It is also very close to the freeway, so its location offers the best of both worlds.

I was awakeded at 7:48am by loud power tools. This is not so early for a business morning, but too early for me for a family stay. This continued, so there was no more rest for the morning. The hotel is doing work in its central area, but it sounded like it was coming from the room next door. We got up, got moving and checked out. If I had known that loud construction would be going on early, I would have probably used the points for the nearby Hilton or Hampton

It is a shame, but given the room situation and the lack of peace and quiet, I can only rate our experience as average even though it was without cost. I will be quite tempted to give another Old Town hotel a try during my next visit in July.

Room Tip: Make sure construction is complete or you are located in a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for providing this review. Our hotel has been going through some significant changes and we are excited to showcase these enhancements to our guests. Construction undoubtedly produces some noise and for that reason, our hotel has diligently tried to schedule the work, at the best available time, in order to least impact our guests. The contracted construction company does not always abide by this. Should you choose to allow us the pleasure to service you again please permit me the opportunity to make your next reservation. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites last year during a business trip and decided to stay there again (during another business trip).

First, let me say, the hotel isn't a business hotel per se.

If you're looking for a quiet unobtrusive hotel that caters for the business traveller, you might be better off looking at the Hilton that is about two minutes walk away. On the other hand, if you're looking for a family hotel that isn't going to frown at the kids, provides great access to DC via the Metro, provides easy access to the restaurant precinct down King Street (with a great tram service), provides complementary evening drinks and snacks and provides a complementary breakfast all within your room rate, then the Embassy Suites at Alexandria Old Town is about perfect for you.

You can get into DC quite comfortably by the Metro in about 20 minutes or so.

Staff are great too - friendly and relatively informal which just suits the style of the hotel. Finally, rooms are huge with a tiny kitchen area. Again, perfect for families.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor if you can. The hotel has an open plan that can get quite noisy in peak...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We have such a varied clientele and appreciate them all. Our guests value the amenities we provide and return to our property for these services and our friendly employees. I am hoping your next business trip brings you back to Embassy Suites Alexandria. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

2012 is apparently their year of construction. It was ok, but not like the other embassy suites. Happy hour was ok.....needs better snacks! It's clean n great front desk n housekeeping service!! Wifi is free on the nook so that was a plus!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Yes 2012 has been quite the exciting year for us! We now have a newly renovated atrium and new “Caprese” restaurant and are anxiously awaiting two new meeting rooms, an exercise facility and new guest rooms. I am pleased that you were able to access the free AT&T WIFI and that our staff provided you with great service! We look forward to your return to our property. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Orange City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel for a wedding and found the staff very helpful. The location is great with Amtrak station ,metro stop and trolley right across the street. The lobby is a great place to hang out and visit with friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Weddings are always a wonderful opportunity to meet with friends and family and I am glad that we were able to provide a fitting venue for this memorable occasion. We look forward to your next visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked a youth group that was visiting for the Girl Scouts' 100th Anniversary celebration on the mall. Overall, our stay was very good. The rooms were spacious. They had a small kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator/freezer which comes in handy with children. The sales group and manager were accomodating. However, I had a few comments that our group was treated diferently because we had a large group. We had breakfast in a separate room but the regular breakfast had more selections. We were told that we could go over to the regular buffet for made to order omelets so our group did. We had to sign up for swimming because the pool occupancy was limited to 23. What would the hotel staff do when the hotel is at capacity at other times? All in all, this was not a problem. We had a complaint from one of the front desk staff members regarding a number of items that could have been handled differently but which we quickly addressed. Car parking is expensive. Bus parking is located at the nearby Masonic Temple. Lodging was a bit pricey but glad that breakfast and evening reception was included. The Metro is right across the street. The hotel shuttle and the free King Street shuttle is also available for use to get around the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. How exciting for us to be part of the Girl’s Scouts’ 100th Anniversary celebration. We appreciate you choosing Embassy Suites as your place of refuge after your long day at the mall! I can assure you that we value each and every one of our guests with equal measure and that the separate room was set-up for your convenience and ease of breakfast service for your group. I am concerned that this was not your perception. As for the pool, typically from the period following the “Cherry Blossom” festival into “Labor Day” week-end, our lifeguard provides a sign- up sheet for guests. This allows all those interested to enjoy some pool time. Again, thank for your comments. Best Regards…Mary Anne Russell General Manager
Sioux City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel previously and will continue to each time I am in the area. If you are going to be exploring DC, this is the perfect starting point for you. King Street Station (Metro/Subway) is directly across the street. It is so convenient. I have rented a car before but did not this trip. You do not need a car if you stay here! The subway will take you to everything that you need. If you are doing the subway, do the all day pass ($9). Well worth it.

The hotel was finishing remodeling while we were there. 6:30 AM drilling is a little annoying but they were in the final stages so they should conclude soon. They now have a new bar (opened while we were there) and I would assume that by the time of writing this the new fitness room will be open. The bar has a free happy hour from 5:30-7:30 PM (snacks and drinks). There is also a restaurant. We ate once and the food was good but a little pricey. I would reccomend heading down to King Street and hitting some of the local places. Breakfast was very good and always well stocked. Made-to-order omelettes, oatmeal, eggs, cereal, muffins and fresh fruit. The breakfast is included free of charge.

The rooms are well equipped. King bed, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee pot, sofa and desk. Very spacious 2 room suites. Try to get a room facing Diagonal Road.We were on the back side this time and it there is no view.

We have friends that have stayed at other locations and this place is by far the best location and services.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room facing Diagonal Road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for your review and return patronage. We so appreciate and value our repeat guests! We are excited about our newly renovated look and are anxious for its completion. I am pleased that you chose to dine in our new atrium restaurant “Caprese”, and that you enjoyed the quality and taste of the food. I look forward to your next visit. Best Regards … Mary Anne Russell General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!