“Great location & everything you need....” 4 of 5 stars

Save Big on Parking!
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland Oregon
“Great location & everything you need....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

While my first choice in staying 3+ days anywhere is a nice condo or vacation rental, I really enjoyed this hotel. Very easy access if you fly into D.C. National Reagan Airport. It felt safe and was only two stops from National so I was glad that I really didn't need to grab a rental car. Hassle and worry free ride late at night from the Metro took me to the King St stop for a mere 1.60 or so. (Take either the blue or yellow line both are the same number of stops.)

Embassy Suites check in was uneventful, front desk friendly and professional. I travel extensively and was gratified to see everything well laid out. The business center is right there in the lobby; Rooms are spacious with a nice living room area of 4 chairs and 1 couch. I was able to have a meeting with 4 people that was quite comfortable during the day.

Bathroom included a nice shower w decent water volume and a hair dryer on the counter. Maid service entered my room at 9am and it did freak me a bit, but that was my fault. Be sure to use the 'do not disturb sign'. I left my jewelry case out and lots of quality rings and typically when I leave I say no maid service. I did explain that to the housekeeper that entered, but when I left did not put the 'do not disturb' sign out since I had spoken to her. I don't like maid service each day unless my things are in a room safe, due to a bad experience of a stolen watch years ago. Therefore I was worried when I came back to find they had come in the room anyway.

I am so glad there are fine trusting housekeepers out there....I was hurried that morning and left cash and lots of other things out, and a bit of a mess in the bathroom. The housekeeper took all my makeup and cosmetics and placed them very neatly on a hand towel. Wow. How nice. She actually organized everything for me.

The room is a nice king bed with perfect sized plump pillows and I think I used most of them. This was a very stressful business trip and having no problems with the hotel, and very long days in a bustling city made Embassy Suites a sanctuary for me.

The room also had a small frig, bar sink, a mini microwave. The room included a cooked breakfast.
Did I say cooked made to order? Very nice. Eggs anyway you like it, a great cereal bar, coffee and juice bar, all that you would need.

I had a quick lunch at Duke's right there inside the hotel and it was fine. Wait staff quick and accommodating.

On the day of departure, I was hurried getting to the airport and appreciated the on time wake up call and they had already called me a cab. I decided to chance a coffee just to get me going. I am a starbucks nut, so I typically don't use hotel coffee makers. This coffee was excellent and they provide not powdered creamer but actually provide half and half. Thank you Embassy suites for those little details. If I come back for a quick trip again, I won't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Only problem in hotel I encountered: Business Center had very very slow computers. I had to ask the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you so much for your extensive review of our hotel. I so appreciate the detailed information you provided, and I am pleased that we lived up to your expectations. I will need to inquire as to the speed of the computers in the business center especially, since we have just recently updated our computers and printing a boarding pass should definitely not be an issue. I am pleased however, that the front office staff was able to remedy your situation and that leaving our property was as uneventful as when you arrived. Thank you for considering our Embassy Suites on your next trip to Alexandria. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Kodiak Island, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Location, location, location! I lived in Alexandria for several years and always recommended friends to stay at this hotel. I moved away and now every time I return, I stay here. The location is everything. It is right across the street from the King Street metro which makes it very convenient getting to Washington D.C. without having to fight traffic and find a parking spot. The hotel itself is great. It is perfect for families offering a free breakfast buffet, pool, and spacious rooms.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators as kid traffic gets noisy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Thank you for your review. I appreciate that not only do you recommend us to your friends, but that you choose to stay with us when you visit as well. In the hopes that Embassy suites Alexandria Old Town continues to be your hotel of choice for many years to come, I look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel back in June, 2011. I was attending a conference that was held at the hotel. I had never been to Alexandria before and wasn't sure what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised with both the hotel and the location! The hotel is structured around a center "courtyard" with a breakfast area and a decorative fountain. The layout of the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are large, clean, and extremely comfortable. Each room is equipped with two flat screen TVs, a living/dining area and a separate bedroom. Bathrooms are clean and well-appointed. Room service is good (average to high prices for meals).

The only word of caution that I would offer is to those who plan to attend a conference: bring a sweater! The conference rooms are air conditioned to a fault, for those who are prone to chillies, like me :)

Otherwise, I 100% recommend this hotel. And Alexandria is wonderful! There are many antique shops and eateries nearby. Neighboring King Street makes for a sweet walk and just a little over a mile down King Street is the Waterfront with areas to sit and grab a bite while enjoying some fresh air and outdoor entertainment by way of street performers.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the train station/Diagonal Road. There was no road noise- the rooms are insulate...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. Your 100% recommendation is what we aim to achieve for every guest that stays with us. I will inquire as to the temperature setting in our meeting rooms, as we want all of our meeting room attendees to have a comfortable and productive meeting. Unfortunately September is a precarious month, weather wise, and it can be quite trying to determine when to turn off the summer “air conditioning” and opt for the winter” heat”. I look forward to your next visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Very nice hotel...gracious staff, delicious full hot breakfast, manager's special (happy hour with free drinks and snacks), and very clean and comfortable rooms. Also extremely convenient to the metro (right across the street).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that, as we do, you were able to appreciate our staff, our amenities and our hotel’s convenience to transportation. I look forward to your next visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell
Somersham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I used to use this as my hotel of choice for the DC area about 3-4 years ago and at that time I would have given it easily a 5/5, however things just aren't the same here these days. The front desk staff were smug and were slow to deal with problems. For example, I sent my suit down for dry cleaning a few days before I needed it (Was there 2 weeks) and it didn't come back on time because they claimed my Do Not Disturb sign was up. I did not have the sign up (I never use it and I was expecting the suit) though they claimed I did and followed a "Customer is always wrong" philosophy. I don't complain much, but I was rather angry about this. The maid service was barely adequate and they didn't do much to tidy up, which on a 2 week stay gets annoying. The managers reception has also slipped. I remember hot appetizers on offer here before, now it was the same chip and dip every night. The bathroom was also looking tired and a bit mildewy. On the bright side, the beds were good, the location was excellent due to the proximity of old town and the King Street Metro stop. The breakfast was up to Embassy's usual standard and the staff there were good. Best of all, this place was a great value for the rate I paid, so it wasn't all bad. All in all, I would come back but this place is no longer going to be my choice hotel in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. As a manager it is always important to consider the perception of all our guests, as these reviews are meant to identify both positive and negative issues with our property. The anonymous nature of these reviews however, can be a hindrance when more specific information might be required to address an issue directly with the person/s involved. Nonetheless, I will forward this to the necessary department managers for immediate attention. I would appreciate speaking with you more at length about your stay, and would request, should you be inclined to, that you call the hotel direct at 703-684-5900 and ask to speak with me. Best Regards…Mary Anne Russell General Manager
Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Located on the edge of Old Town, across the street from the Metro and Amtrak stations. An easy walk to anywhere in Old Town. There's also a free trolley at the subway station that runs down King Street and back four times an hour.

Otherwise, a pretty typical Embassy Suites -- efficient, clean, quiet, reasonable free breakfast, etc. We reserved our room a couple months in advance and got a terrific rate, much better than the Hilton and Hampton, both within a block or so.

• Stayed September 2011
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Thank you for your review. Due to our proximity to the Metro, Amtrak and Old Town Alexandria, we are very fortunate that our hotel offers such convenience for transportation. As you stated, taking advantage of early booking can greatly enhance your rate, and I am pleased that your schedule allowed you to do so. I will look forward to your next visit. Best Regards…Mary Anne Russell General Manager
South of Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had to cancel our trip to Old Town because of Irene: we had been vacationing down South and planned to take the weekend at Embassy Suites before returning to New England. The customer service people were wonderful, courteous and very helpful.
I truly appreciated their making my late notice change of plans go smoothly. We look forward to returning to this hotel soon. (Weather permitting, of course)

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
How dreadful that your vacation was curtailed due to the hurricane! Embassy Suites understands that certain situations are at times beyond our control and must be dealt with accordingly. I appreciate your kind words and look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Alexandria VA. Best regards…Mary Anne Russell

Been to Embassy Suites Alexandria-Old Town? Share your experiences!