“Great Value for Suites” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Wilmington,NC
“Great Value for Suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

We just returned from a weekend in DC for the last weekend of Cherry Blossom Festival. Our party consisted of 3 adults, a 16 year old exchange student and our 9 year old son. When looking for a value for this mix of people nothing fit the bill like Washington Suites. We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe suite. When we walked in we were all pleasantly surprised by the size of the space. The suite has a good size kitchen, dining area, living room and bedroom. It included two queen beds in the bedroom and a queen fold out sofa in the living room. Even with the sofa bed folded out there was tons of space. A large linen closet out side the bedroom gave us plenty of room to put our stuff up out of the way. The hotel was easy to find from I 95 and the shuttle made things very accessible. We were able to park our truck and not worry about it for the rest of the weekend. A huge bonus is that the room price included a decent continental breakfast and free parking. Most places charge to park so this really was the biggest reason we chose Washington Suites and we all are very glad we did. The breakfast was on the second floor which seems to be the smoking floor as the halls smelled of stale smoke but the cafe area did not. The breakfast was some pretty tasty pastries, cereal, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, coffee, juice or milk. The only complaint our group had is that on Saturday night it seemed that only one shuttle driver was working and it took about 20 minutes to get picked up from the metro when we called. But I would like to mention they must have been short staffed that evening because when we called for extra towels the same shuttle driver brought them up. That man was everywhere. We did not use the gym or the outdoor pool as the pool is only open after Memorial Day. My husband did find the large bank of computers in the lobby area convenient.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Washington Suites Alexandria. As you mentioned, the large suites (all of our units are suites) make it very comfortable for family or friends to stay together in one suite. I hope you had a good time at the Cherry Blossom Festival. The Japanese Cherry Trees around the city were spectacular this year. Thank you for your kind words and I hope that you will visit again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We enjoyed our stay here. The one bedroom suite was very spacious and comfortable for our family of 5. Two flat screen TV's are a nice bonus too. I was very happy with the housekeeping staff, every evening when we returned, the room was cleaned, beds made, kitchen cleaned including dishes, and the towels and other ameneties were restocked. Breakfast was adequate but staff was overwhelmed by some of the pushy and and inconsiderate guests, who apparantly thought the breakfast was only there for them. My husband commented on the shabby carpet that took away from the otherwise stylish room. The shuttle is a great amenety, but you should have a better system during peak morning hours. We had to wait for several shuttles to go and return form the Metro on several occasions when families of 5-6 were waiting. Also, there is no queueing system. People just push up front regardless of how long you have been outside waiting. All in all, I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to a friend. P.S You should inform guests that windows have a blackout curtain behind the sheer's! I had the sun shining in face for two mornings before I realized it!!!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
MikeBarberGM, Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. The housekeeping staff takes pride in ensuring that the suites and their kicthens arekept cleaned every day. I have also mentioned your experience with the shuttle to the Front Office Manager. She will review the procedures to ensure that the shuttle runs effeciently for all of our guest. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed 3 nights with our 3 children. The shuttle service was great. We took it to the Metro station. The room was updated except for the kitchen. Maybe in the near future they will update the kitchen. Our refrigerator kept freezing everything and the dial to turn it down was broken. It wasn't a big deal for us because we had a plug in cooler with us so we just used that. My husband mentioned it at check out and they said they would check into it which I believe they will. The beds were comfortable. My kids liked the kids computer room.Internet was very slow. We went to the Landmark mall, but it looks like it's ready to shut it's doors because many stores are vacant. Don't forget to visit Old Town Alex. I loved it there!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your nice review of the hotel. The shuttle service is a wonderful free amenity that makes it very convenient to get around the area. Old Town Alexandria is a fun place to shop, dine and see the sights. Old Town is convenient to the hotel and can be reached by taking the Metro one stop to King Street or hopping a DASH bus just around the corner from the hotel.
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Staff was very cordial and helpful. Rooms were large and clean. The only negative was the shuttle can get very busy to the Metro and the continental breakfast was chaotic at times. The workout room was outstanding and the large rooms were very comfortable for a family of 5

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice comments. One of the many things that makes a stay enjoyable is the staff at the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to your next stay.
hilliard ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

The hotel was older but it's upkeep was apparent. The room was large and the location was very close to the Metro. They had free shuttle service for the Metro and it was very efficient. Upon return every evening he was back to get us w/ in 10 minutes of our call. From the time we arrived (2AM) the front desk was extremely friendly. The manager, Michael Burns , was exceptional. All in all, we had a wonderful 4 night stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
MikeBarberGM, Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Thank you for your comments. I have passed on your kinds words to Mike Burns. As you noted, our suites are indeed spacious. We have some of the largest suites in the DC area. Our shuttle staff takes pride in providing quick, safe and efficient service to and from the Metro and the surrounding neighborhood. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to your next visit.
Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

The Bad News: I found the overal level of service/product quality to be especially disappointing - the reception upon arrival, the lack of luggage handling/dolly availaility, keys not working on more than one occasion, very stale bread in continental breakfast area, coffee urn empty,etc. The Good News: guest laundry area/machines/cleanliness/usability - PERFECT! The best news is a person by the name of Carmen Ball - she and I discussed all of the bad news detailed here and promised to make my stay better and she DID! She was understanding, apologetic, and obviously interested in fixing the bad news. She should be commended on her take charge attitude and assurance service given to me and I felt like she was going to take my experience and use them as training opportunities which is exactly what I intended for her to do...Carmen Ball is the best front office manager I have ever encountered. Thank you Carmen!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on the hotel and the staff. I have directed your review to the appropriate departments for follow up action. I have also shared your review with Carmen Ball. Carmen and her staff strive to make our guests' stays as pleasant as possible. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

The entire staff is excellent! Friendly, helpful, concerned and just plain great.
We stayed here for 4 nights. I had stayed here once before, it was the first time for my girlfriend and her 2 children. We had a one bedroom suite. At once she liked the 900+ square feet and the lay out.
The fact that they are close to the Metro is big, add on the shuttle it gets bigger, plus the shuttle will take you within a one mile radius and it’s a home run.
Bottom line, good value, great staff, really clean kitchen, would stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
MikeBarberGM, Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, February 26, 2010
Thank you for the nice words. Our hotel is well suited for families due to the size of the suites. If you get the cahnce to visit us the summer, we have an extensive program of events for children ranging from movie night, to meet George Washington to video games on a 50 inch big screen TV - not to mention the outdoor pool. Thank you and I will share your review with the staff.

Mike Barber General Manager

Been to Washington Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!