“Michael Burns- The Excellent Evening Manager” 5 of 5 stars

Washington Suites Alexandria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 S. Reynolds Street, Alexandria, VA 22304   |
Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Teaneck, NJ
“Michael Burns- The Excellent Evening Manager”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

My dad and I have traveled to the Washington Suites in Alexandria, VA many times. At each visit we were warmly welcomed by Michael Burns, the evening manager. If we needed recommendations for a restaurant or directions to a specific location, he would graciously look up the information and give us a print out with the information. If our hotel room needed some attention, we could always count on Michael Burns to make sure all of our needs were met. He has certainly made all of trips comfortable and memorable. The Washington Suites Hotel is very lucky to have such a dependable, pleasant, evening manager.

• Stayed August 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

With much research this hotel exceded our expectations. Spacious reasonable suites with full kitchens, clean rooms, comfortable beds, simple complmentary breakfast, kids movies nights, free internet access, free picts with George Washington, decent pool which was a life saver at the end of the day to cool down and let the kids play. We traveled with a 10 and 11 year old and my mother. Lifeguard on duty and pool stays open until 8 or 9. Many other places more expensive closer in town only had lap pools that closed early. The only drew back is the wait to get the shurttle back to the hotel from the Van Dorn metro station 5-10 minutes away. I suggest tehy run two shuttles bdetween 4-8pm. We waited up to a half hour in the heat 3 different days even if we called one stop back on the metro. Took cab last day - did not want to wait longer in heat. Once familiarized with the metro system is is a great system to get you where you need to go. The blue line gets you to all the sights. Room service provided generous portions and pretty good food.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

We picked this hotel for several reasons and were not disappointed. The suite setup is an essential with a teenager if you want any kind of privacy and we were happily surprised when we were upgraded to a 2 bdrm penthouse suite from a 1 bdrm! The room was only one of 4 at the hotel with a balcony (a paradise for us smokers!).

The staff was very friendly and there was no problem getting to the metro and getting picked up. Just give a little extra time in the AM. The metro ride was about 45 min but when we were there it took longer as investigations of the accident they had a few weeks ago closed some tracks and required us to switch lines. Also, we had trouble with our TV remote not working in the living area and not getting certain stations. At 11 pm they came up with a new remote and then came back the next day to program the channels we wanted (ESPN for the US Women's Open).

If you are going for the pool - DONT. That was the only thing that disappointed me - its on the second floor and not like the pictures portray. But we were there to tour Washington more than swim, so it wasn't a priority.

Breakfast could have been better - my teenage son ate WAY too much sugar with the Danishes, but it was good to have something available quickly before we left for the day.

I read before booking that this used to be an apartment complex and that was helpful because there were a lot of kids staying here but it was very quiet. A family place for sure.

I would stay here again. The price was great!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Bolton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

This hotel was very nice and clean. The front desk were very nice.The location is very close to Washington it was only a 10 min drive. The breakfast area is small. You are better off getting breakfast and eating in the room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We stayed here four nights with our teenage kids while visiting the sights in D.C. The rooms are very large and clean, although the hotel is a little older. We had two double beds with a fold out sofa and plenty of extra space. The beds were very comfortable. There was a full kitchen although we only used the fridge. There's a restaurant on site and unheated outdoor pool with lifeguard. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The free shuttle to the subway, only five minutes away, was very convenient. It's about a twenty-five minute ride to downtown but it goes quickly and the subway is easy to use and clean. It's also a good location for a quick trip to Mount Vernon, which I'd recommend. The area seemed safe. I'd definitely recommend this hotel, especially to sightseeing families.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

The hotel itself isn't in a good location but it is in a good proximity to the DC area where my family was vacationing to. We didn't use much of the extra space, and the kitchenette was pretty outdated and smelled weird. The beds were nice and the room was always clean for us. The alarm clock didn't work but the TV was a flat screen and very clear, although it didn't offer too many channels. The shower had an extremely weak pressure so a 10 min shower took about 30 minutes.There were plenty of towels, however, and the bathroom was always clean.

What was really terrible was the balcony, so black, filthy and littered with beer bottles. There was a huge pile of about 200 cigarettes in the corner and beer cans on top of that. That balcony looks as if it's never been cleaned in the hotel's history. Thinking about it makes me want to throw up.The computers were almost always in use and the internet sometimes didn't work.

The free breakfast was pretty bad, the only OK things were the cereal and the bagel but staple things such as milk were sometimes nowhere to be found. There was one employee during most of my visit that was was very rude. I even saw her yell at a mother and two children for taking more than one plate and she even said they needed to leave for other diners although they were only there for about 5 minutes.The Duke's Market Cafe was really small and dainty and I wouldn't eat there. When I walked by the kitchen there was only one employee on his cell phone and cooking. The hotel also promised free cookies but every morning and evening I asked, they had run out, quite a disappointment. Also, the pool area smelled like urine and no one was in it in the several days that we were at the hotel.

All in all, I don't think this hotel is was too terrible as long as you don't go out in the balcony. I wouldn't go here again though.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Southeast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

OK, I am going to be as fair as I can be about this hotel, but I want to make a few things clear: If you are looking for a no-frills hotel for a solo business trip or a brief stay to see the sights in DC on a small budget, you would probably be ok at Washington Suites.

However, do NOT stay in this hotel if you are expecting to relax and be pampered. Erase the word 'luxery' from your mind, despite what their website might say. I have never left a review for a business or hotel in my life, but I feel the need to warn travelers to steer clear of this place if at all possible. I would hate to see someone's vacation to a wonderful place like Washington DC ruined by their hotel, and that would be a very real possibility if you use this hotel.

Yes, this hotel lists many amenities, but you have to read the fine print. Actually, there is no fine print, so I will provide it for you and let you decide for yourself:

1. The hotel restaurant: $2 for a glass of water. I think that says it all.
2. The pool: Is open from 10 am until 9 pm. Say what?
3. The laundry room: Takes tokens, not quarters, and the token machine breaks down. That's $2 per wash and $2 per dry, by the way.
4. The gym: So hot and humid it is unbearable.
5. The computers: There are three and the Internet service is so-so.
6. The shuttle van: Yes, the hotel provides free van service to the surrounding area, but you have to be somewhat lucky to catch it. Be prepared to wait.
7. Bathrooms: Mine looked to be newly re-modeled. No counter space at all, but it was very clean, and the shower provided plenty of hot water and excellent water pressure.
8. The kitchenette: Very no frills, but again, mine looked to have been re-modeled. I did not use the dishwasher or coffee maker so I cannot comment on those. The 'fridge and countertops were clean.
9. The breakfast: Again, it's free, so expect to get the basics. Bagels, cereal, coffee, juice and that's about it.

OK, here is the most important part: If you have issues about temperature, do not stay in this hotel. I was there for 12 days, and I kept my a/c wide open the entire time and it never got cool enough to suit me. This is a very, very old building and the heating and air are antiquated. The hotel can only provide heat or a/c at any one time, so if you visit during a season where the weather can vary, watch out: You may be in for a nasty surprise.

Speaking of nasty surprises, be prepared for black mold, ants, spiders and bugs. Let me stress, to be fair, that I had no major problems in my room. but I was traveling with a large group of people, and many, many people complained of these problems to the point that several packed up and went to another hotel for the same price. I saw huge areas of black mold with my own eyes, so buyer beware: These rooms are a crapshoot. You may get lucky, and you may not.

As for the location, it is very, very 'so-so.' I wasn't out after dark very much, but I do know for a fact that a teenaged son of one of my traveling companions was propositioned by a prostitute at the convenience store located less than 50 yards from the hotel. It is fine during the day, but I am not sure how comfortable I would have felt staying here with a family. The area between the hotel and the metro station did not look particularly good to me, but use your own standards and judgment.

All and all, you will probably want to shop around and spend your $200 a night somewhere else. Washington Suites isn't a good value, and it just isn't worth the headaches. No one wants to come in from a long day of work or play to hassles and headaches, and this is pretty much what WS offers plenty of.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Washington Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!