“Great deal, excellent shuttle service.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Washington Suites Alexandria to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 S. Reynolds Street, Alexandria, VA 22304   |
Ranked #36 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
“Great deal, excellent shuttle service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very clean and tidy, slightly dated lobby but pleasant. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We stayed in a two room suite which came with a full kitchen including the basic utensils and a coffee maker. The hotel had ample free parking which being so close to DC is great. The best part of the hotel is the free shuttle service that will take you pretty much anywhere within a mile or two of the hotel, this includes the metro that takes you straight to the centre of DC. On the way back from a very busy sight seeing day the shuttle picked us up from the metro and took us to the Red Lobster and then came back for us. Excellent service and child friendly. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Lewis W,

Thank you for your comments about the Washington Suites Alexandria. I am glad that you enjoyed the two bedroom suite. We have the largest suites in the Alexandria market. At just over 1,100 square feet, the two bedroom, two bathroom suite can sleep up to 9 people.

The free shuttle is our most popular amenity. It runs from 6am to 11pm weekdays and 7am to 11pm weekends and holidays. We offer transportation to the Metro and a number of great local eateries. If you looking for a great restaurant the next time your in town, may I suggest Tempo's, offering French/Italian fare. I almost always get their seasonal offerings. Their soft shell crabs are wonderful. It's operated by a local Alexandria couple. A nice family restaurant is Savios. It's a family friendly Italian restaurant near the Metro.

Thank you for your comments and I look forward to your return trip.

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Pros- very large rooms. Clean and comfortable. Full kitchen !
Close to the DC sights
Well priced

Cons - too noisy for a food nights sleep. The doors I the rooms are very heavy and slam shut. So if people are leaving their rooms or returning when your asleep , really loud. Even the bell on the elevator is loud and can be heard from a room down the hallway
Breakfast is in a very large room , but all carbs.
Really strange mix of people

• Stayed May 2013
Dear betty1020,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. As you mentioned, we have very large suites will full kitchens all the while being convenient to Washington, DC. Our complimentary continental breakfast consists of fruits, yogurts, cereals, pastries, bagels and our make your own waffle station. We also fresh brew Caribou Coffee. For the late risers, the Lounge Bar and Grill offers a full menu including all day breakfast to include eggs, breakfast entrees and more.

I have passed on your comments about the doors and elevator bells to the chief engineer. I have asked to look at a sampling of the doors to ensure that they are functioning properly. For safety reasons, our doors are self closing.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us about your stay.

Uniontown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The rooms were big, but the pungent food smells were nauseating. Not sue what management could do about it.

We were a family of 6 so I took some muffins back to the room to my kids and the breakfast woman told me I was taking too many. Rude.

My bed caved in the middle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nippy N,

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your recent stay. All of our suites have full kitchens which can help families save money while they are in town. In the DC metro area, we have visitors from all over the U.S and the world who take advantage of our suites/kitchens. While I am inspecting suites throughout the week, I will occasionally run across guests who are cooking dinner. I have been tempted on many occassions to knock on their door and ask for the recipe.

I would like to apologize for the treatment that you received from the breakfast attendant. We understand that not everyone will join us in the breakfast room but would prefer or need to eat in their suites. I will pass on your comments to the Operations Manager to ensure that this does not happen again.

If you have the opportunity, please feel free to contact me about your review. My contact information is below.

Thank you again for letting me about your stay.

Sincerley,

703-370-9600 extension 7150
Central Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

When we arrived at Washington Suites, I was a bit apprehensive, as there was a fairly large group of unkempt young men that appeared to be permanent residents hanging around the entrance. I questioned whether I had made a good decision and whether the place was safe. I need not have worried. Although the men remained a fixture throughout the two days we were there, they never approached us or caused any trouble, and an Alexandria police officer seemed to be around at all times, as well. I would suggest to the manager that asking the group to congregate away from the entrance might make for a more positive first impression.

Once inside, check in was handled quickly and efficiently, and we were assigned a suite on the fourth floor. We paid only $129/ night plus tax, and the suite was literally larger than some apartments I have been in. We were truly surprised at the spaciousness, and thought that the layout was fantastic. The suite we reserved had a king bed in the huge bedroom. There was a full kitchen, a dining area, and a large living room space. You could make a full circle around the common areas, from entry through kitchen, around living room, and back to the door.

We were traveling with two teens, and they were more than comfortable sleeping in the living room. The pull out sofabed (a queen, I think) looked brand new. It looked and felt like it had never been pulled out or used before. It had been, of course, because it was already made up with fresh sheets. There was one spare pillow in the huge bedroom closet, and the king bed had five pillows. We are pillow hogs in my family, so we required another pillow, and blankets, which were delivered in minutes after I requested them from the front desk.

There were two large flat screen tvs in the suite, a desk with wired internet access for your laptop, and the hotel had excellent wi-fi. There was an iPod dock/clock in the bedroom, as well. A ton of hangers were provided in the closet, and between the bedroom and bathroom, there were built in wall shelves.

The suite was very clean, well stocked with everything we might need, including glassware instead of plastic disposable cups, and even a corkscrew. I would suggest you not use the ice in the trays in the freezer. As it melted, it tasted awful. The ice from the hall ice machines was fine.

There is a sign on the wall near the thermostat that indicates that the hotel is unable to simultaneously provide heat and a/c to the various rooms. In winter, the heat is on/available. In summer, the a/c is on/available. This was not a problem for us.

We were disappointed that the pool was not open, as the weather was very warm, and the pool area looked inviting. The pool needed to be vacuumed, but the area was neat and free of trash, etc.

Parking is free, and we felt comfortable leaving our car in the lot. Breakfast is also free, and the muffins and pastries were fresh and tasty. Everyone we encountered was friendly and courteous, and we were not disturbed by housekeeping in the morning. It was quiet and comfortable, and we will definitely be back.

The location was exceptional. It took us only a few minutes to drive into DC to visit the museums. There is a free shuttle that we frequently saw leaving the property with passengers. There's also a mall nearby. Dinner at Mango Mike's (just minutes away) was AMAZING!

We frequently book suites at all-suite chains, and I feel that this was one of the larger one bedroom suites we have ever stayed in - and definitely one of the least expensive! The value here is fantastic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear fydlstyx,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with your family. Our suites are indeed large, the largest in our area. The shuttle is complimentary and travels to the Van Dorn Metro station and to local shopping and restaurants. We even go to Mango Mikes. Mango Mikes is a local hometown favorite. The owner is a local Alexandrian who recently opened two new restaurants in the Del Ray section of Alexandria, Pork Barrel BBQ and Holy Cow (Burger and shake joint). He is scheduled to open a sushi bar there as well. Just like you, I highly recommend Mango Mikes as well as his two new restaurants.

Your observation about the police always being present is correct. As you mentioned, our suites are as large as apartments. The hotel supports our local police department in many ways including providing low cost housing to two officers. This affords officers an opportunity the live where they work thus making them more effective in keeping the community safe.

The pool season for the Washington, DC Metro area generally runs from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day. We had some wonderful weather right up to the pool opening when cold temperatures and heavy winds made for a chilly pool opening. A few local jurisdictions postponed opening their outdoor pools until Memorial Day Monday.

Again, thank you for your comments and I will pass them on my team members. I hope to see back again soon.

Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I took a weekend getaway to DC without the kids. I wanted to stay at Washington Suites because I plan on returning with the kids and wanted to check and make sure it would be appropriate for a large family. I have to say, if you have a family or are traveling in a group this is an excellent choice. The rooms are HUGE! They have a full kitchen which makes it easy to travel on a budget. I found everything to be very neat in clean. The bedding was very nice. They have flat screen tvs. The rooms look as if they have been upgraded. That being said, they need to upgrade the rest of the hotel. The hallway and lobby felt dated. In addition, you can skip the continental breakfast. It was just a bunch of carbs - no bacon or eggs. All in all, it is a nice hotel and I would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Tiersa M,

Thank you for your comments. Our suites are some of the largest in the area. Our smallest suite is 1 1/2 the size of a typical hotel room and our one bedroom suites are 3 times the size of a typical hotel room. The kitchens are a nice feature that can actually save families money. As we all know, cooking at home for a larger family is less expensive than going out for meals. The full size refrigerator will hold a lot of groceries from any of the four local grocery stores. Our free shuttle would be happy to take you to any of them.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you and your family again.

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great pet friendly place to stay near Washington. My only complaint was the noise. We were on the 2nd floor and the people staying down the hall from us were rather loud going to their room late at night. The rooms were very spacious though and comfortable. The staff at the front desk were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Karen M,

Thank you for the review. At Washintgon Suites Alexandria we are pet lovers. Many of our staff are pet owners, myself included, and know how hard it can be to find a pet friendly hotel. Our suites are large enough for the entire family, inlcuding fido, to stretch out and enjoy themselves. Recently we hosted a family that included a beautiful Saint Bernard.

I will pass on your review to the staff. Thanks again for your comments.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Traveling with a 16 year old they want their independence but you don't want them to have their own room. The King suites allowed us a room with a door and a pull out for the independent one. The rooms were clean but dated. Their carpets were dingy and kitchens were well old. For the cost per night it was worth it. Easy shuttle service to metro and continental breakfast which was 90% carbs. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear SanOmid,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you mentioned, the one bedroom suite has a separate bedroom from the living room area. This makes having privacy very easy with larger families. We also have two bedroom suites which have two separate bedrooms (one with a king bed and the other with two queen beds) and two bathrooms. This suites sleeps up to 9 persons and offers privacy for all.

Our complimentary breakfast consists of a make your own waffle station, fresh fruits, danish, croissants, muffins, and new this month cinnamon buns. We also offer bagels with cream cheese, yogurt and fresh brewed coffee.

I am glad that you found the shuttle to be easy. We offer free service to the Van Dorn Metro, local shopping, and local restaurants. When you arrive, you can park car and never have to move it.

Thanks you again for taking the time to write a review. I hope to see you and your family again.

Washington Suites Alexandria

Been to Washington Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!