“Convenient, roomy & affordable” 4 of 5 stars

You added Washington Suites Alexandria to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 S. Reynolds Street, Alexandria, VA 22304   |
Ranked #36 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
USA
“Convenient, roomy & affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Bought a Groupon over the holidays for a couple nights stay at Washington Suites Alexandria. We arrived early and they upgraded our room (nice touch considering we were "groupon-ing it"). I can't say the room was immaculate and not in need of some TCL; however, for Washington, we paid a very reasonable price and felt the accommodations merit a return visit. The hotel is easy to find and is a short distance to either a huge mall across the street, or to the Metro (hotel provides transportation to both). Surprisingly, the food was quite good (it is mostly pub-type food--no fine dining), and the bartendar nailed the martini's each time we ordered. For a place to crash while hitting the sites or visting, I recommend it. Looking for romance, pampering, and all that's glitzy about DC? No.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 310 and would not recommend it (it is right off the elevator and just below the ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Barboursville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked this through Groupon and would consider it worth the price I paid, but probably not their regular price. It definitely loses one star for the breakfast - do NOT get there in the last half hour or you'll be faced with nothing but prune danishes and plain bagels. At its best, it's not much - danishes, bagels, muffins, apples (don't know if there's any other fruit available if you get there really early, because I never did), juice, bitter coffee (must be the way they make it, because Caribou is normally good coffee) and two waffle irons with a long, long line. The semi-working toilet (it would only stop running if you flipped the handle back up, but not *too* soon after pushing it down, or it wouldn't finish flushing) and the fact that you couldn't see the TV from the sitting area lose it another one. On the other hand, the front desk staff was friendly, and the maid good about cleaning even when we left the room late (although clearly not great on attention to detail, as when I checked under the bed skirts for leftover toys I found one left by a previous family!). The room is spacious, especially helpful when you're traveling with a wheelchair like we do, and leftover toy aside, overall the room seemed reasonably clean. The TV has better than the average hotel selection of kids' channels (Sprout, Hub, Nick). The beds were (to me) the right amount of firm and the shower had good water pressure and maintained its temperature well. So, nothing too awful...but nothing too special, either.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments about the hotel. From your review it appears that you stayed in the studio suite. The studio is our smallest unit averaging about 500 sq ft (almost 2x the size of a standard hotel room). The bedroom and living room make up one big room. The TV is viewable from the bedroom side and not the sofa side. This was changed in response to our guests requesting to watch TV in bed versus on the sofa.

Thank you for your comments about the breakfast. I have passed on your comments to the manager of that department. I try and sample the food at least a couple of times per week to check for quality and flavor. Our pastries are baked and delivered fresh daily from a local bakery just down the street. We offer a variety of danishes, muffins, croissants, and bagels. Our fruit selection will vary.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to see you again.

Mike Barber
San Bruno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights as we got a good deal through a website. We are a couple and we had a double queen room with sitting area with sofa bed and small kitchen. Kitchen had full size frig, microwave, toaster, stove, pots, silverware but no plates or table to eat at. Room felt old--lumps in carpet, could use a coat of paint. First night sheet on bed had a hole in it. Kids were running in the halls unattended even at midnight and it felt like doors got slammed shut a lot. Free parking and internet--rooms do not have wi fi but ether net for laptops. About a 20 min car ride to central Washington, DC. If you get a good price or have a family this would be a good place to stay as the rooms are large. We would not stay here again at the regular hotel room rate.

Room Tip: Farther away from the elevator the better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments about your stay. I am sorry that you were not thrilled with your stay. I have passed on your comments to the management staff for review. The suite that your stayed in, our studio suite, has a full kitchen but no dining room table. We do offer larger one and two bedroom suites that have dining room tables as well as the bedroom is separated by a door from the living area.

The hotel is currently wired for high speed Internet and we just completed the installation of the wireless access points throughout the hotel. We should be both wired and wireless with even higher bandwidth speeds shortly.

Thank you for your comments and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Mike Barber
Hampton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I made last-minute reservations here based on the fact that they were pet friendly. I went directly through their website, and was surprised that there was not an option to let them know that I was bringing pets. So I called after making the reservation. The guy on the phone acted confused, like he had to check the pet policy. Interesting, I thought, since the website listed clearly that they allowed pets. He comes back to the phone, and says there is a weight limit. I was staring at the website, which said nothing about a weight limit. Thankfully, my dogs were under the limit, but how do you not post the policy clearly on your website like every reputable hotel company out there?

I called the next day, as we were driving to DC to confirm my reservation. The woman on the phone could not find my reservation. Why? It turns out they took my guest's name and turned it into the account name. So even though the reservation was made in my name, with my address, my phone number, and my credit card, my boyfriend listed on the very bottom as "guest" was turned into the account name. Sexist or just carelessness? I'm not sure, but I corrected the staff 3 times - then on the phone, when I checked in, and when I checked out, and by then, my name wasn't even listed on the bill at all. They had removed my name entirely and put the bill in my guest's name. So disrespectful after I continuously let them know it was incorrect! Anyways, once on the phone, the woman told me they usually have a policy of only one pet, but since it was the holidays, she would let it go. Ummm...thanks? If it was listed clearly on their website, I would have known that and not stayed there in the first place!

On to the actual stay. The room was spacious, but there was an odor throughout the room. There was one bathroom to share amongst 4 guests - 2 adults and 2 children. There was no separate sink space from the toilet/shower, so if someone was using the restroom or showering, you had nowhere to get ready. Even worse, there were no mirrors outside of the bathroom, making morning routines VERY difficult. There was no fan in the bathroom, creating a sauna after 4 showers. Plus, you could hear everything people were doing in the bathroom from the living area, which I'm sure could lead to awkward situations. Everything was dated, didn't exactly seem clean, and the layout for the suite was far from ideal. I will not stay here again. The experience was continually frustrating, and they never corrected their mistakes, nor apologized for them in the first place. They almost seemed to have the attitude that I should just deal with it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are spacious but not overly clean. Dirt in the corners, burnt out bulbs, sticky floor in the kitchen are a few of the features we found. I also found that the toilet paper has wheat in it. I'm intolerant to it, so I called the front desk and asked for something else. I was asked to use tissues instead. Awesome, I can have Kleenex stuck to my soft tissues that are already on fire.
To be fair, you're not paying for a four or five star hotel here, but you're not getting clean or well kept either.
If the hotel staff actually reads these reviews I hope they take to heart one of the reasons people with severe allergies and intolerances stay in suites are because we can't eat out safely. If we can't cook there either due to lack things like can openers and utensils we are going to have a pretty miserable time, especially if we are now faced with an infection from toilet paper of all things. :(

• Stayed December 2012
Alexandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The kitchen has equipment to cook. No plate or silver. Dishwasher, refig, microwave basically the works. The bathroom is tiny though. Spacey living room. Nice bedroom. Great restaurant. Service could be improve. And don't delivery meals to the room. But it best rates in town for what u get.

• Stayed December 2012
Abington, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We enjoyed the free breakfast- the kids loved making their own waffles.

The full sized refrigerator made it easy to keep our sodas and juices for the kids cold and handy. We could have even made dinner if we wanted- they have full kitchens.

We enjoyed the hotel and the friendly staff. We have found ourselves a new DC hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Washington Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!