“excellend service and hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Washington Suites Alexandria to your Saves list
100 S. Reynolds Street, Alexandria, VA 22304   |
Ranked #36 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Woodbridge, Virginia
“excellend service and hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I checked in Aug 16th after a chemo treatment in DC. Vicky had already process my reservation and selected a room with balcony so that I could sit outside and relax. IKram Hadi was on customer service manager that day. She greet me like a familar family member and checked we in swiftly. inquiring if I had any needs and welcome. I received great service from her , Vicky and Carmen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

the lady from the front desk was very rude. i simply asked for assistance regarding cancelling my reservation because:
the room was disgusting
the carpets were dirty
there were a lot of sick people in wheelchairs
obviously the families of the sick people are living at the hotel
there was this strong hospital smell

she refused to give me her name just for reference since there was no manager around and instead gave me a male name. how rude can she get? definitely not booking with them again. i hope you too won't..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had a great experience at the Washington Suites when we stayed there for 8 days during a military PCS. We were looking for something that was within the government allowance that would give us more room than a typical hotel. We have a 2 kids--2 years and 6 years--so having a separate room for sleeping allows us to stay up after the kids have gone to sleep.

We got a special rate on the website that gave us a 1-bedroom deluxe suite and a rental car within our allowance. This was great b/c we were returning from an overseas assignment and our car was in-transit. This saved us a few hundred dollars that we would have had to spend on a rental car. This hotel had all the small amenities that make a long stay much more comfortable and convenient. In addition to the rental car that was waiting for us at the hotel, the hotel offers free continental breakfast (pretty standard, but always plenty of options), a nice swimming pool that my kids begged to go to daily, free internet in our room, three computers in the lobby connected to a printer/scanner that came in very handy when we had some mortgage papers to sign and return (free), a decent fitness room, and tons of space in our room with a full kitchen, dining room, and living room. The kitchens even had dishwashers. Honestly, the furninishings in the rooms were nicer than I had expected. There was granite in the kitchen, 2 new and big flat panel TVs with plenty of channels, nice comfortable beds with good quality linens and a down comforter. Even the soap and shampoo were Bath and Bodyworks brand, not cheapie stuff. Finally, we got daily housekeeping services which is not always the case at extended stay hotels.

The location is convenient to DC and Northern VA. The hotel offers a shuttle to the Metro and local restaurants and stores, but we did not use this since we had a rental car.

Overall, I was very satisfied and impressed with what we got for the money. I would highly recommend it for families and those with young kids. It is also good for larger groups since you can sleep 4-6 in a suite. It was a great place for a military family to stay during a PCS and I would stay there again. It offers a lot of amenities and they don't nickel and dime you for them.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the mechanical sounds of the hotel.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Washington Suites is GREAT for large families and groups. It reminds me of going to summer camps with my family when I was a kid. However it is HORRIBLE if what you want/need is a good night's sleep. The hotel caters to large groups and families who treat the entire complex as an extension of their rooms. When we were there, there was a huge group of foreign travelers, a large family reunion and at least one youth group in the complex. The noise level throughout the hotel was intense virtually the entire night. We had people in the hallways outside our rooms, talking, running back and forth, yelling at each other, opening and slamming doors, each night until early morning (4 am). Don't get me wrong, the staff is great, the manager very attentive and concerned (he even left instructions for the front desk to call him at home in the evening if the "parties" continued). But, in the end, the staff seems rather powerless to control the types of groups this hotel caters to. If "family camp" is what you are looking for - and it obviously is for many - then this is where you should stay. The rooms are fine, its not expensive and they have a great shuttle to the train station that gets you into DC quickly. But for me, the most important quality of a hotel is being able to ensure a good night sleep for its guests. Like family camp, sleep here only comes from pure exhaustion!

Room Tip: Tips for finding a quiet room? Good luck!!!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

We booked a 1 bedroom deluxe suite with the "family extravaganza" package. Let me tell you there is nothing extravagent about it. When you do the math it's not a deal! You actually spend more by doing it that way.

Our FIRST room smelled so musty we had to change rooms. We were put in a regular room, not a one bedroom deluxe suite and told and I quote "the price is the same if I move you to a regular room or a 2 bedroom suite". I decided to wait and speak to Carmen Ball at the desk in the morning. She was wonderful! Well that evening when we went to make dinner we realized there were no pots/ pans /dishes. I asked the front desk if we could get some and their response was " they're in the dishwasher". Umm are you sure about that we dont have a dishwasher. So you know what they did they MOVED US AGAIN!!! Apparently this was easier than just bringing us some pots and pans. Our newest room was much the same, 2 beds in a dingy room. Oh wait we did have a brand spanking new stainless steel microwave. It was so out of place with the rest of the kitchen we had to laugh. As an added bonus our newest room was on a floor with some super yappy dogs and lots of international guests cooking what smelled to be quite authentic food. Lesson learned do not stay in a pet friendly hotel that allows guests to cook their own food or you'll be listening to Rover all night and your clothes will smell like curry. On this floor we were also woken up in the middle of the night by a family who I suspect lived there having gym class at 3 am. Yes I did open my door to ask them to knock it off but I'm not quite certain they understood what I was saying.

I'm partial to cleanliness, you know it's supposedly next to Godliness or whatever, and I was disappointed to see the dust lines on the floor against the walls or food spilled on the way to and from the bfast room. Let's just say the brochure photographer should be paid handsomely for making this place look a million times better than it does in reality.

The continental breakfast was plentiful. It was a little carb heavy as most are ,so if you're on a gluten free diet you may want to bring your own food. Not terrible and my kids were happy with it. The lady that stocked the bfast and kept it neat was very nice. The other option is dining at the Lounge. If you saw the way the kitchen looked you'd think twice. We happen to stop and look on our way out to the pool one evening since you walk by on your way out. It was gross and there was a clear tub of uncooked chicken wings on the counter. Those same chicken wings were still sitting there on our way back from the pool. Can you say food poisoning??

On a more positive note the staff was pleasant and helpful. Of course we did tip the shuttle drivers whenever we used it which was often so they had reason to be so friendly. As I mentioned before Carmen was fantastic. She was always ready to help with directions or suggestions and always did it with a smile. The night staff on the other hand were less enthusiastic but I surmise they're just cranky because they're tired.

All in all if they cleaned the place up so that it didn't look like low income housing it would be a convenient place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012
brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Just checked out and was so happy that i had to write a review. We were looking for something to stop and sleep on our road trip to SC and we found this. Very cheap hotel, the staff was great. Check in was quick, i asked for a crib once we went up and it was brought to our room in less than 5 minutes. Clean hotel, big rooms we are 7 and everyone slept comfortably 2 queens and pull out queen, comfortable beds. Has kitchen, nice size with everything you need. Continental breakfast included that was good, free parking. Very happy with our stay considering it was last minute

• Stayed August 2012
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I will be sure to pass them on to the staff. As you mentioned, the rates are very reasonable and the suites are very large. There are very few hotels in the DC area that accommodate families of 5 or more in the same suite/room. We even have suites that can accommodate up to 9 adults. For families with younger kids and teenagers, the piece of mind of having your entire family together is priceless.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see again if your travels bring our way again.

Mike Barber
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel has many large rooms for families. We weren't able to get one of the larger 2-2's, but we did get a 2-1 for the six of us which was a reasonable price for the area. It had two double beds in one room and then a living room with a fold-out couch. All beds were fine. Towels were plentiful. These units are dated, but come with a full kitchen and are very large compared to other hotels with the same layout. They appeal to a large number of families and culture groups that prefer to cook their own food. These families must also carry their own spices, because the hallways at night are a menagerie of smells, which bothered my in-laws, but made me want to knock on some doors and ask if they had any leftovers they were willing to share.

The staff is friendly enough. In our 4 day stay we encountered both those willing to go out of their way and staff that seemed annoyed by our presence. The laundry facilities are large with 10 washers and 10 dryers and are reasonably priced. The shuttle would be great to use. We didn't end up using it, but there were frequently groups of people waiting to catch one. Breakfast is decent and pretty-standard. There is a large variety, but no hot items other than the make your own waffles. Bagels, toast, yogurt, danishes and muffins. Cereal, juice, coffee.

MY biggest COMPLAINT was that breakfast ends at 9:30, which is a reasonable time, BUT they are NOT kidding around with that time. At 9:30 on the dot, they march in and start taking everything up starting with the coffee. If you are waiting behind someone to get coffee when they walk in, they reach in and take the pots away right in front of you. Then they go down the line and remove everything almost based on what people seem to be getting. There were still 4-6 families, some with elderly and children, when we were there. People still took a few things off the cart before they wheeled it away, but the staff did NOT look happy about it. Then after they take the cart away, they walk through the room and tell each table that breakfast ended at 9:30 and it is time for you to go. I've never seen such an abrupt and rude end to breakfast. We laughed about it with the other guests all the way down the hall and back up the elevators.

That being said, I would probably stay here again. The room sizes and prices are worth any other issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and feedback about your stay at the Washington Suites Alexandria. I am glad that you found the suites spacious for your family. We offer some of the largest suites in the area all with full kitchens. Being close to DC, we host families on vacation from all over the world. Many families do take advantage of the kitchens and the aroma of cooking food always makes me hungry.

I would like to apologize for the service that you received in our complimentary breakfast area. During the week we are open from 6am to 930am and on the weekends from 7am to 1030am. At no time should you have been made to feel like you needed to hurry up and leave. I will pass this comment onto the comp service manager for immediate attention. Thank you again for bringing it to my attention and I hope to see you on your next visit.

Mike Barber
Washington Suites Alexandria

Been to Washington Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!