“Cute but needs work” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #125 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Description: Excellent espresso and nice bakery. Good ambiance.
Description: Excellent espresso and nice bakery. Good ambiance.
“Cute but needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I visited here for the first time to meet up with a friend. The strip mall it's in is very run-down, and lots of potholes in the parking lot.

It was very busy when we arrived but the were very fast in getting everyone's order to us.

My friend had the soup and loved it.

I had tomato, basil, and mozzarella sandwich. The tomato and balsamic had soaked into the bread making it soggy and telling me it was pre made either that morning or even the previous day. The remainder of the bread was a bit stale. The also handed it to me uncut. It was a ~6 inch hoagie. I had to ask for a knife and then had difficulty cutting through it to make it a reasonable size to eat.

Stick to the coffee and pastries.

Washington, DC
“It has lost much of its charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

When I first visited several years ago, I was impressed with the baked goods, and the care that had gone into creating a welcoming and comfortable space. When I went last week, I was disappointed to find that it looked worn, and the servers seemed stressed and unfriendly. The baked goods did not appear to be made with love, nor was the coffee. It is no longer special, in other words.

Visited October 2013
US
“Best dessert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Absolutely the best cheesecakes. They make it in the morning and can quickly sell out early inthe afternoon. They have custom order of larger size. You must talk to the staff. It's not on the memu.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best croissants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The best croissants that I have had in the area. Great family friendly place for breakfast or lunch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Great Pastries, Sandwiches and Coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We loved the atmosphere and the food. The service was wonderful. We came back twice already. One of my friends loved the tomato mozzarella sandwich, the other loved the roast beef sandwich. I loved my layered eggplant pie. The mint buttercream frosting on the mint chocolate cupcake needed much more minty zing, but the vanilla frosted cupcake was so delicate and so light that I would order it again. We can't wait to try the bagels and croissants when we can get them in the morning!

• Visited April 2013