“Designed for Business” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Plano, Texas
“Designed for Business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

It appears the target demographic of Springhill Suites is the business person. "Suite" is misleading because there is basically only one room. On paper, the plan looks good: a sleeping area, a work area, plenty of clothing storage, separate shower/toilet areas. However, for a family on vacation, it was awkward in some ways.

Let me say, overall, the hotel provided what we needed: comfortable beds, adequate space, accessible outlets, complimentary breakfast with good variety, clean rooms and public areas, complimentary, if tight, covered parking, and a fairly convenient location.

Although located close to historic sites and DC, it is not easy for the visitor, unfamiliar with this area, to find. Limited access highways in Alexandria have VERY limited access. It is difficult to know from a map where exits and entrances are, and, generally, access going in one direction (for example North) does not mean there is access to the opposite direction (South). There are many one-way streets, strange circles, dead ends, and restricted turns. The hotel is located near the intersection of I495/95 and Telegraph Road, but the roads are on different levels and the connectors are strange. I don't really know how to get to the hotel from the Interstate; we always got on Duke Street, then turned south on Holland, which turned into Eisenhower and headed west. It would be nice to have some signs around the area pointing the way. There also needs to be a lighted sign at street level at the entrance from Eisenhower. (Maybe there was a small one.)

It would also be helpful for the hotel to provide a map of the immediate area with restaurants and the movie theater marked. When I asked for the location of nearby restaurants, I was told there were many on King Street and near the movie theater. The only direction I was given was a wave of the hand toward the movie theater, which I think was actually in the opposite direction. It was assumed I knew how to get to King Street. The clerk did print off Google driving directions for me.

The hotel sits on a strip of land between the busy Interstate (Beltway) and a train yard. We could hear some squeaks from the trains, but nothing that kept us awake. There is covered parking; it's a tight squeeze for a mini-van when spaces are taken on either side, and when exiting the garage. Some spaces are reserved for fuel-efficient vehicles. Navigation problems probably exist for many hotels in the area because of the geography and traffic flow within the Beltway, but the hotel could help the visitor by providing illustrative maps, directions, and more signage on major thoroughfares.

The rooms have 2 queen beds in the sleeping area and a couch that makes into a bed in the work area. The couch opens into a small bed. It looked wider than twin, but not quite double; however, there was also a chaise forming an L with the couch and could be used for an adolescent. There is a partition between the work and sleeping area, but it is frosted glass so light in one area creates a glow in the other. The toilet and shower areas are separated by a closet that is large enough to change clothes in and has a light and luggage stand. The toilet area has a small sink and one towel knob, but no shelf for holding soap or toiletries. The shower area has a large shower with glass door, a sink with vanity and large mirror, outlets and 2 towel knobs (not enough for a family of four with bath towels, hand towels, wash clothes and clothing).

Both the toilet area and shower area had pocket doors that could not be latched--a little uncomfortable even for families. The toilet area door is solid, but the shower area door is frosted glass once again allowing light to create a glow in the room making a disturbance when one person is showering while others are in bed. Although the idea of these areas works on paper, it was awkward or inconvenient at times to move between the two areas while getting ready. There was a long mirror on the closet door and a large one over the dresser, but no lights or outlets nearby so rather useless.

As I said earlier the room was more than adequate, but the design is not the best for families traveling.

The breakfast is decent: hot and cold cereal with a variety of toppings, fruit (banana and apples), pastries and breads, pre-made waffles, yogurt, milk, coffee, juices, eggs and sausage.

I chose this place for the price thinking one suite for 5 related people would be cheaper than getting 2 rooms at another hotel and it was; however, it was not really different from one room elsewhere in either privacy or price and just a little more spacious.

Room Tip: Rooms 200-203 are secluded in a hallway close to elevator but separated from the elevator by ice/ven...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I stayed here with my wife and our young adult children on a vacation to visit D.C. The hotel itself is nice. Rooms were clean and all of the staff was very nice. The free breakfast was stocked with the usual items. As another reviewer mentioned, the single toaster was slow and did create a bottleneck during busy times. Parking is free, and they do offer a free shuttle service to and from the Metro station and a few other locations nearby, which is a good thing since the closest restaurants and the Metro are about 1 mile away. The Metro is on the Yellow line and will take you about 1/2 hour to get to the National Mall. The rates are reasonable for the area and we found it to be an enjoyable place to stay, just a little off the beaten path.

Richmond, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My family of four stayed here 2 nights recently on a sightseeing trip to DC. We have stayed here before so we knew what to expect. The check-in was smooth and the front desk staff is helpful and friendly. The room was quiet and clean. I enjoyed having 2 separate areas for showering and the toilet area. Also, enjoyed the convenience of the fridge in the room. Loved the free parking too! Breakfast was fine, as well. No homemade waffle machines here, just premade ones you put in the toaster, but there was plenty of variety so that was fine. The only thing we wish were different: we requested an extra blanket and they said they did not have one because the hotel was sold out that night and they were all gone. Really? We may stay here again, mainly for the free parking and free breakfast and close access to metro, but there are a lot of choices in DC for Marriott hotels closer to the city. One more thing: we used GPS to get to the hotel from DC and it was pretty long drive and very circuitous and indirect. Not sure if that was a GPS problem or what, but check to see if there is a better way to get to the hotel if you are coming from downtown.

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Good parking, nice rooms and ok breakfast. Breakfast area is always busy and choices are a little limited but overall a good hotel. Within walking distance to the Courtyard if you want to have dinner in their bistro.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
East Northport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
1. Room was clean and updated.
2. Really like separate shower and toilet area.
3. Shuttle to metro was nice.
4. Free breakfast.
5. Outdoor patio.

Cons:
1. No pool.
2. Bed way too hard for my taste.
3. The woman at the desk when we checked in not very friendly.
4. Long line to use single toaster at breakfast.
5. Too far from DC - Metro tickets for a family of four from Eisenhower station to DC and back during rush hour over $30.00! (evening rush hour is from 3:00-7:30)

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed here for four nights with my child on a trip to see the sights in Washington DC in August, 2014. We did not want to stay in the city due to the high cost of accommodations and parking, and I don't like feeling closed in with so many people. This location is out of DC, but easily accessible via a short Metro ride.

We were greeted very warmly upon arrival by CJ, who was professional and courteous throughout our entire stay (he's a gem!). The hotel and grounds are very clean, well lit, and while it is between a highway and a metro repair facility, it's not loud. Parking is ample in the on-site parking lot and garage, it's free (huge bonus for DC), and I felt very safe. Every hotel staffer we met or interacted with was friendly, helpful and pleasant, from the reservation staff at the desk, the breakfast attendants, room service staff, shuttle drivers, etc. They even spoke to my child as a human being (often, folks ignore children or talk down to them, which I loathe), and we both appreciated that.

We stayed on the 5th floor facing the highway and a small creek, in a king suite, with one bed, a sitting area, a small fridge and microwave, a bathroom with a toilet and small sink, and a separate area with the shower and a large sink. The room itself was pristine - very, very clean. The beds and linens are comfortable, and the towels are fine. It did tend to get a little warm in the late afternoons, but it did cool down pretty quickly once you turned the a/c down a bit - honestly, it was August, so I can't complain. We did have some basic meals in our room - it was fine when we didn't want to go out after a long day of walking or prepare a big meal.

Breakfast is provided with your stay. It is served within a two hour timeframe in the morning, and includes the basics - eggs, a breakfast meat, pastries, apples and bananas. It's not gourmet, but my child liked the waffles, and I was fine with fruit and eggs. The main issue I had was not with the breakfast itself, but with the children running about largely unsupervised. I get that parents on vacations and school groups tend to be a bit loosey-goosey, but even my child commented on how poorly behaved some of the other children were.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to families looking for a clean, well appointed, cost effective alternative to staying in DC. I have stayed frequently in other Marriott hotels on work travel, but hadn't stayed in a Springhill Suites before. I will certainly be considering this chain as I travel in the future based on my very positive experience here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing the highway with a view of the creek. It's quiet and yo...
sugar land
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband thinks this was an old office building converted to a hotel. In any event, this was a nice and clean hotel. Stayed only one night with a family of 5.
- Super L shaped sectional in the "living" space of the room.
- Loved the separate toilet and shower areas - both with sinks
- Cool sliding glass/window on desk . My kids enjoyed taking drive through orders with it.

I did have an issue with the pull out sofa. When I went to make the bed, there were only flat sheets and a blanket for it (no pillow or fitted sheet) so I called down to the front desk to request the needed items. Forty-five minutes later, they still hadn't brought them, so I went down to request a fitted sheet, a pillow and an extra blanket. When I told the employee at the front desk (who sounded like the one I spoke with on the phone ), he asked me if I was sure there was no fitted sheet then I overheard him talking another employee saying "That's what she said." Why would I lie about not having a fitted sheet and why would I want an extra one??? The guy came back with a fitted and flat sheet and a pillow- still missing the blanket. But I was tired and just took them and left.
Breakfast - I read other people's comments about the eggs, so I avoided them. My husband said they were just cooked really well - as in scrambled hard, not fluffy. Food selection was standard, nothing outstanding.
They do offer free shuttle to the metro, but I couldn't figure out if you got a ride there how would you get back? It was about a mile and a half away. We had a car, so it was moot.
All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town Southwest? Share your experiences!