“Another good stay at Springhill” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Pennsylvania
“Another good stay at Springhill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Good parking, nice rooms and ok breakfast. Breakfast area is always busy and choices are a little limited but overall a good hotel. Within walking distance to the Courtyard if you want to have dinner in their bistro.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
East Northport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
1. Room was clean and updated.
2. Really like separate shower and toilet area.
3. Shuttle to metro was nice.
4. Free breakfast.
5. Outdoor patio.

Cons:
1. No pool.
2. Bed way too hard for my taste.
3. The woman at the desk when we checked in not very friendly.
4. Long line to use single toaster at breakfast.
5. Too far from DC - Metro tickets for a family of four from Eisenhower station to DC and back during rush hour over $30.00! (evening rush hour is from 3:00-7:30)

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed here for four nights with my child on a trip to see the sights in Washington DC in August, 2014. We did not want to stay in the city due to the high cost of accommodations and parking, and I don't like feeling closed in with so many people. This location is out of DC, but easily accessible via a short Metro ride.

We were greeted very warmly upon arrival by CJ, who was professional and courteous throughout our entire stay (he's a gem!). The hotel and grounds are very clean, well lit, and while it is between a highway and a metro repair facility, it's not loud. Parking is ample in the on-site parking lot and garage, it's free (huge bonus for DC), and I felt very safe. Every hotel staffer we met or interacted with was friendly, helpful and pleasant, from the reservation staff at the desk, the breakfast attendants, room service staff, shuttle drivers, etc. They even spoke to my child as a human being (often, folks ignore children or talk down to them, which I loathe), and we both appreciated that.

We stayed on the 5th floor facing the highway and a small creek, in a king suite, with one bed, a sitting area, a small fridge and microwave, a bathroom with a toilet and small sink, and a separate area with the shower and a large sink. The room itself was pristine - very, very clean. The beds and linens are comfortable, and the towels are fine. It did tend to get a little warm in the late afternoons, but it did cool down pretty quickly once you turned the a/c down a bit - honestly, it was August, so I can't complain. We did have some basic meals in our room - it was fine when we didn't want to go out after a long day of walking or prepare a big meal.

Breakfast is provided with your stay. It is served within a two hour timeframe in the morning, and includes the basics - eggs, a breakfast meat, pastries, apples and bananas. It's not gourmet, but my child liked the waffles, and I was fine with fruit and eggs. The main issue I had was not with the breakfast itself, but with the children running about largely unsupervised. I get that parents on vacations and school groups tend to be a bit loosey-goosey, but even my child commented on how poorly behaved some of the other children were.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to families looking for a clean, well appointed, cost effective alternative to staying in DC. I have stayed frequently in other Marriott hotels on work travel, but hadn't stayed in a Springhill Suites before. I will certainly be considering this chain as I travel in the future based on my very positive experience here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing the highway with a view of the creek. It's quiet and yo...
sugar land
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband thinks this was an old office building converted to a hotel. In any event, this was a nice and clean hotel. Stayed only one night with a family of 5.
- Super L shaped sectional in the "living" space of the room.
- Loved the separate toilet and shower areas - both with sinks
- Cool sliding glass/window on desk . My kids enjoyed taking drive through orders with it.

I did have an issue with the pull out sofa. When I went to make the bed, there were only flat sheets and a blanket for it (no pillow or fitted sheet) so I called down to the front desk to request the needed items. Forty-five minutes later, they still hadn't brought them, so I went down to request a fitted sheet, a pillow and an extra blanket. When I told the employee at the front desk (who sounded like the one I spoke with on the phone ), he asked me if I was sure there was no fitted sheet then I overheard him talking another employee saying "That's what she said." Why would I lie about not having a fitted sheet and why would I want an extra one??? The guy came back with a fitted and flat sheet and a pillow- still missing the blanket. But I was tired and just took them and left.
Breakfast - I read other people's comments about the eggs, so I avoided them. My husband said they were just cooked really well - as in scrambled hard, not fluffy. Food selection was standard, nothing outstanding.
They do offer free shuttle to the metro, but I couldn't figure out if you got a ride there how would you get back? It was about a mile and a half away. We had a car, so it was moot.
All in all, I would stay here again.

Setauket, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This hotel is very clean and has a nice contemporary feel to it. For this trip, we utilized the shuttle service to take us to the Eisenhower metro and pick us up at a nearby restaurant, and it was very convenient and quick (not more than a 10 minute wait either way.) The staff is very accommodating (a special shout out to CJ who helped us with an issue with the AC in our room-thank you!!) This is our go-to hotel for visits to the area, which is quite often as our daughter lives in Alexandria. Even though there are other hotels nearer to where she lives, we prefer to stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
SHSAlexandriaSW, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town Southwest, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Dear S.M.,

Thank you for your business and thank you for taking the time to write a review of the SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town South West. I am so happy to hear that we are your "go-to" hotel when in the Alexandria area.

Thank you for the compliment for C.J. he is most certainly one of our very best and we will be sure to recognize him.

Take care and please come again soon.

Danielle M. Hood

SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town South West
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a quick weekend into DC. We parked at the hotel and took the shuttle to the metro station (nearest one is the Eisenhower stop-yellow line). The front desk clerk erroneously told me that the Eisenhower station did not have the machines which sells the SmarTrip cards so the shuttle took us close to the King St metro which did have the machines. On our way back, we got off at the Eisenhower stop and saw that they did have the machines.

We got a king suite room. Our teenage girls didn't like the fact that they had to sleep in the pull out sofa but other than that, the room was nice. There's a separate toilet room w/ sink and then the shower & sink room. The shower was a nice large shower w/ glass door. Only complaint was that there wasn't enough hooks to hang up your towels. A towel rack would have been nice to hang up your face towels and bath towels to reuse the next day. The AC worked a little too well - we were cold even though we turned the temperature up to 79 then 81 degrees! Maybe there was something else we had to manipulate besides the wall thermostat?

The breakfast selection was good but the set up was not. There was only one toaster for everybody that wanted to toast their waffles/bagels/bread. Every time I looked, there was a line at least 8 persons deep. The other table was set up w/ oatmeal, fruit, cereal and muffins - that line went a little faster. There was lots of seating inside & out but if there are tour buses staying overnight - seats may be hard to find! They did have a sign saying you can use one of the meeting rooms though.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.

I apologize for the misinformation on the Metro. In the recent past you could only add fare to a Smart trip card or purchase a paper-fare card at the Eisenhower location. Therefore, the addition of the Smart Trip Machines at Eisenhower must be a recent development. Thank you so very much for the updated information.

With regards to the buffet, we are happy to report that we will be adding a toaster to alleviate the line in that area. Please come back and check out the changes.

We hope to serve you again in the future so please come back for a visit.

Danielle Marie Hood

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Alexandria Old Town South-West
St. Louis Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

You can't beat this hotel for the price and proximity to the metro. This hotel looks pretty new. Loved the contemporary style, underground parking, comfortable beds and staff. The breakfast area is crowded and if you love scrambled eggs- DO NOT EAT THE EGGS- they are made from something that's supposed to resemble eggs. But if you like NUTELLA - you will be very happy- get in the line for the toast and you will find the NUTELLA - right next to the bagels- yummy! We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Julesmom,

Thank you for the review of our location. I am glad that you had a good stay with us. I have some great news regarding our buffet. We have just recently changed our egg preparation to great reviews. Therefore, please come back and try us out again in the future.

It would be our pleasure to serve you in the future should your travels return you to our area.

Danielle Marie Hood

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Town South-West

Been to SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town Southwest? Share your experiences!