“Spring Break to DC” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Peachtree Corners, Georgia, United States
“Spring Break to DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Our family of 3 stayed in a queen suite (2 queen beds) for 4 nights. The hotel was new and clean. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Free covered parking. No pool was not an issue for us. Lots of seating in lobby for the complimentary breakfast. Free wifi, with good service. Only one shuttle van being shared with the Marriott Courtyard, so quite a wait in the morning to take it to the metro station. However, the metro station is an easy 10 minute walk if you prefer. Also, several restaurants across from the metro station. Not within walking distance to Old Town Alexandria. We would recommend it, and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor away from the elevator, and overlooking the parking lot. Noise was not an...
Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SHSAlexandriaSW, Guest Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town Southwest, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for your feedback! We look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I was is the D.C. area with for 3 days my students, and we stayed in the SpringHill Suites in Alexandria. The hotel accommodations were fantastic for our group. This hotel is about 30 minutes from D.C., but worth the commute. Very clean hotel; friendly staff; o.k. complimentary breakfast; good rate for the amenities; and nice rooms. The only drawback is the lack of restaurants in the area.

And a big thank you to the hotel security for keeping all of our students in their rooms over night

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
SHSAlexandriaSW, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town Southwest, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and gracious review. We are delighted to hear that you had an exceptional stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for your next visit to the area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed at the SpringHill Suites Alexandria Tech Center this past weekend and had a great rate, thanks to a AAA "hot deal." There were 5 of us, and it's hard to find hotels that allow 5 people in a room. Based on that, the good reviews, and the rate, we booked a 2-night stay for our weekend getaway to DC and Alexandria.

We had a 2-queen "suite" with a sofabed. It came with a desk that included a lighted partition between the sitting area and beds. It also had a wee little microwave, a mini fridge, a pod coffee maker, closet, separate toilet and shower (both with sinks).

The pros:
~ Super comfortable beds! Didn't want to get up.
~ Excellent water pressure in the shower, which was a good-sized stand-up shower (no tub).
~ Nicely appointed in modern decor (linen-look tiles, loved the wavy green wallpaper in the hallways)
~ Free, hot breakfast with plenty of options for everyone (the crumb muffins are to die for). The staff continuously restocked food items, but they take everything away PROMPTLY at closing time!
~ Free coffee and tea 24 hours a day in the lobby
~ Free parking
~ The rooms, breakfast area, lobby, hotels, hallways, etc. are all VERY clean and well-maintained. It is a modern hotel and looks new.
~ Mini convenience shop, but things were WAY overpriced. My son had the munchies at 10:30 pm and didn't want any of the fruit or snacks we brought; it cost $6.30 for a Chunky Soup microwave soup bowl (3x the grocery store price)!!! (Yes, we made him pay for it!)

Cons:
~ The rooms are small and not what I would really think of as a suite. Perhaps the king rooms are larger. For two nights, it was ok, but if you were going to have a family of 4-6 people for several days, you'd be cramped and not digging it.
~ No pool, which I somehow missed when choosing this hotel
~ While breakfast is good, they have only one Belgian waffle maker so the line was very long. I was finished with my breakfast before the rest of my family sat down to eat.
~ The free WiFi was TERRIBLE. Our handheld devices could not connect, and only one of our two laptops could. Even then, the signal constantly cut out. If we didn't have our smartphones, we wouldn't have been able to get online in our rooms. They do have two computers downstairs for guests to use, but we didn't try those.
~ Both bathroom areas (the water closet with just a toilet and mini sink, and the shower/full sink) have pocket doors with no locks. If you have teens you know they lock the bathroom door just to blow their nose, so mine were not happy about that.
~ The shower pocket door has frosted glass, and the entrance to the shower is just inches inside the door, so yes, you can make out body outlines as your naked friends/family members enter the shower. If you have a co-ed traveling party, this may be a concern.
~ You room will either face a busy street or the train tracks, which have both Metro and standard trains. I heard a freight train screeching by at 4 a.m., but the rest of my family wasn't disturbed.
~ Even though they knew there were 5 of us, there were only 4 bath towels in the bathroom. When they were replaced, they still only put 4 in there. They should know that and we shouldn't have to ask every day for an extra towel.
~ There are serious "usability" issues with the bathrooms. Aside from the doors not locking:
~ there are no exhaust fans, even though there are available switches for them
~ each bathroom has only ONE hook, up high. Towels are folded and placed in wooden shelves under the main bathroom sink. Because there are pocket doors, there are no hooks on back of the doors. So you really have no place to hang a towel (we threw them on the floor), no place to hang your toiletry bag, and no place to put clean clothes to change into other than on the not-that-big sink counter, assuming it isn't wet. There is plenty of room on the walls for 5-6 hooks, so there is no excuse for them not having any!

Bottom line: If you have a large family and are just going for an overnight or two, you will appreciate the comfortable beds and free breakfast. Just be sure you don't need a pool to keep the kids entertained! If you are traveling as a couple, a king room would likely suit your needs just fine. I'm not 100% sure I'd stay here again, but if it were the only reasonably priced option and all five of us (2 teens, a 10-year-old and my husband and me) were going, then I'd go back. For a smaller group of us, I'd stick with the Renaissance Marriott on Duke St. in Old Town. Now THAT is a 5-star hotel!!!

Room Tip: You're probably better off facing the train tracks than the main road, so ask for a quiet room i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SHSTechCenter, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town Southwest, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Our spacious suites, offer 25% larger than traditional hotel rooms and offer a privacy wall to provide separation of the living and sleeping areas. As a result of our guestrooms facing either a highway or train repair station they are equipped with sound proof glass windows. The hotel does not have a swimming pool. However, there is a great local water park just down the street. We can also send our guests to our fellow Marriott Hotels in the area to use their swimming pools. Our Wifi has since been upgraded with additional bandwidth. Guestrooms are standard with four sets of towels, however extra towels are available upon request anytime. Our complimentary continental breakfast includes the following: Three types of bagels, english muffins, four types of cereal, whole fruit, scrambled eggs, two types of muffins, breakfast protein, oatmeal, yogurt, milk, two waffle makers, juice and coffee.
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My recent stay at this property would have been better not for the alarms and sirens early in the morning hours. Still unsure why the alarms were going off or why fire fighters came in and left after being on property all but 5 minutes. Can someone please tell me how would guest services know if everyone was out if it was truly a real emergency? Calling the front desk during an emergency proved to be useless cause the gentleman there didn't know what to do, if it was an actually emergency. What a waste of sleep!!!! Evidently housekeeping thought guest had left after the alarms. Once I got back to sleep after the excitement, why would a housekeeper enter my room eventhough there is a sign on the door not wanting to be disturbed? While checking out and being asked about my stay and answering truthfully "aweful" and sharing my concerns all the guest service rep could/would do is look at you with a blank stare. If you don't want to know, just don't ask. Would I stay again? As of today, my answer would be NO!

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. The alarm triggered that night due to a child pulling the pull station. When an alarm is triggers in the hotel we are able to see exactly where it triggers. The City of Alexandria requires the fire department to come and turn off the alarm in this situation. The hotel does have an over night security team. I would need further clarification regarding the housekeeping entering your room. I am terribly sorry about this experience. If you contact me directly I would be happy to further discuss and offer compensation for the inconvenience. Please give us another chance!
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed here with my family of 5 for 6 nights. As other reviewers have said, the room layout in this hotel is really handy for families. A toilet/sink area is provided behind one sliding door and tub/sink area behind another. The rooms are a bit narrow and it's tight around the desk when the sofa bed is out. The sliding panels in the desk area give a bit of privacy between the beds and the sofa. There were lots of electric outlets in the room, which is a real plus when each family member has a phone/game device. The desk staff was very professional and friendly. All of my requests were handled promptly and I was greeted by name on my return.
The only minor complaints I have are with some of the complimentary services provided by the hotel: the breakfast area and the hotel shuttle. And given my satisfaction with the rest of my stay seem petty and I refuse to take away points for it. The breakfast area is a single counter and when guests queue waiting for the toaster or the waffle maker instead of backing away from the counter, on some occasions it was hard to get to any of the other food that did not require self-preparation. This might be alleviated by moving the toaster/waffle maker to a different counter, getting a faster toaster, or getting another waffle maker. My family worked around this by keeping the kids upstairs while the adults fetched food. The hotel metro shuttle was slow and services two Marriott properties. We found that walking to the metro was very easy and just a short 12-15 minute trip, even dragging along a 6-year-old. We saved the shuttle for bad weather or evening returns when we were too tired. There aren't any grocery stores/convenience stores in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. A car is a plus when staying at this hotel, but you can get by on using the metro alone. There are a few restaurants across from the Metro station.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Ewing, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Located right off the capital beltway, this property offers a more cost effective option for those who wish to stay in a "suite" type hotel within easy reach of DC. The location is a short walk from the Metro.

The property looked and felt brand new. The staff was courteous and had excellent attention to detail. The property also offered one of the better free breakfasts I have ever seen, and the breakfast staff treated you as if you were at a five star restaurant.

As a Marriott Elite for many years, I would rate this property very high, and would most certainly visit again.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We were looking at places to move. The front desk was very good at suggesting places. The rooms were fresh and nicely done. We really felt at home.

Room Tip: High floors have nice views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! We hope to see you again soon.

Been to SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town Southwest? Share your experiences!