“Comfortable Rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6055 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
“Comfortable Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed in a suite at this Holiday Inn to tour DC. There was a little kitchenette and sink in the room that was great use to us. The room was very spacious and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was not so great as they were so busy that most of the food was gone or cold by the time we ate. Even though we were close to the vending machines, the noise level was surprisingly quiet. The value was terrific, but if you are staying to tour Washington DC, I would suggest staying somewhere a little closer to town. Overall, we were very satisfied with the value and comfort of the room.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnExpressAlx, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for your experience in breakfast. Please come back and see us next time you are in Alexandria.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stayed for 6 days for a family vacation in DC. Never had to wait for shuttle more than 5 minutes. Breakfast was great and room was spacious and very comfortable. Very close to old town Alexandria if you have a car and the staff was always polite and gracious. I think her name was Priscilla, but she works at the front desk...she was always so nice and helpful. Give her a raise !! Would ABSOLUTELY recommend this hotel!!

Stayed August 2014
HolidayInnExpressAlx, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thanks for the five star review! I am happy to hear your stay was great! I will pass along your kind words to Priscilla!
Kissimmee, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I’ll begin with the few positives: comfortable bed, fast internet, and centrally located—and unfortunately, that was it for us. From the moment we came in (at around 7PM, tired after a 12 hour drive), there were issues: #1) our originally booked 2 queen bed suite had “maintenance issues” so we were given an ADA (handicapped) 2 queen bed room (#229) with a rollaway (that was to come later—see issue #3); #2) being that the room was a handicapped room, there was enough room for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children--ages 9, 12, and 14), but it was not a clean room—i.e. hair on the pillows, mold under cocking in the bathroom, black mold on the ADA handheld shower handle, mold around the grab rail, tub spout did not function and wasn’t fully attached to the wall, and light fixtures were very rusty; #3) that roll-away bed took a very long time to arrive (we had time to unpack and get something to eat, and the bed still hadn’t gotten there, at which time I had to call) – turns out the ONE gal that was working the front desk was the one who had to take care of it; #4) 1st night not enough towels for 5, so I had to call that same front desk person (again) to bring us some, but the 2nd night (after the cleaning crew took all the towels, and left only 3 clean ones) I had to call again, and was told that I had to come up to the front desk to pick them up—please keep in mind that room #229 is probably 100 steps from said front desk, on the same floor—but we had no other choice, so we went and picked some up; #5) I have to agree with the review titled “Chaos!” that the AC unit was so loud that you had to blast the TV to hear it over the unit, and it was a constant battle of too hot and too cold because the thermostat kept creeping up on its own; #6) once again, another issue I have to agree with the previously mentioned review that it was chaotic—they had one person working the area, and things were refilled ridiculously slow causing backups, which led to not enough seating; and last, but not least #7) the dangerous tile in the bathroom—my 3 children all almost fell, and my husband DID fall coming out of the shower! Luckily, it was just bruising on the side he fell, and he didn’t get seriously hurt, but a serious issue in an ADA room, don’t you think?

My husband works in the resort industry, which is why perhaps we are a little pickier when it comes to things like mold and rust, but also understand how easy it can be to fix it. Ultimately, we all loved the area, but all agree we will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the review. We always want our guest to have a problem-free stay and I apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. Just as we love to hear positive thoughts regarding our hotel, we also rely on our guests to tell us where we have failed to meet our standards. I will share this with all our departments so we may improve in all of these areas for future guests. Again, I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay.
Tallmadge, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed the full weekend at this hotel and I have all good things to say about it! The check-in/check-out process was quick and easy. The staff at the front desk was wonderful from the moment we arrived to the time we checked out. They were extremely helpful when we had questions about the area and how to get to different places. Even as to where the nearest ice cream place was! We did not use the shuttle so I can't speak to that. The room was very clean, comfortable, and had everything we could ask for. We had a King Suite which had the fridge, microwave, couch, and a little cafe table with chairs. The bed and bedding were wonderful! Great pressure in the shower. The young man, Domani, that worked in the breakfast area was spectacular! He was extremely busy and always had a smile. To find out he was new just made it that more impressive. He did his best to keep up with the demand of food! The breakfast was hot, tasty, and had nice selections. The hotel is located close enough to the major highway and was easy to get to Old Town Alexandria. We very much enjoyed our stay and will definitely consider staying here in the future. The pool is next door at the other hotel but we didn't have kids or use the pool ourselves so it wasn't an issue. I give it two thumbs up!

Room Tip: We reserved the King Suite which was the same price as the double Queen room. I'm glad we did...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review! Thanks for the five stars. We are so happy that we provided you with an exceptional stay! I will pass along the kind words to Damani. Come back and see us soon!
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I am a Gold Member at Holiday Inn and often stay at HI Expresses. I booked this one for its proximity to the DC Metro (<1 mi walk) in Alexandria. This one was the worst HI I have visited. The room was clean but did not have the usual choice of soft pillows. Both my wife and I woke up with back and neck aches. The AC cycled on and off. It sounded like a 747 at take-off. I finally turned it off at 1 am and was uncomfortably hot. The bathroom shower water valves were loose and in dis-repair. The TV probably had 200 channels, which was good and the room was reasonably clean. I went down to breakfast, which is usually perfectly adequate for me. No milk, no eggs, no sausage.. Eventually intermittent rerfills showed up for turkey sausage and finally some eggs. Due to the lack of food, the room was filling as people waited and then swarmed in for the slowly arriving refills. The AC vent above our table was blowing at arctic storm conditions downward onto our table.

I will stay at HI Expresses in the future but never at this place again. It is a strange location but seemed handy for access to DC. We actually drove into DC, so I did not test the walk to the metro or the willingness of the hotel parking while I was gone for the day.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnExpressAlx, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
First, let me thank you for being a loyal IHG rewards member. We pride ourselves in providing each guest with a problem free stay and it appears we have failed to do so during your stay. Please except my sincere apology for the inconveniences during your stay. Please be so kind to reach out to me so I may get further details so we may improve for our future guests.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

If you have a car and do not mind driving into DC, this hotel is a good option.

The beds are comfortable and you have a fridge in the room. There is no room safe however. As usual in those Holiday Inn Express breakfast is free and you can make your own pancakes.

The staff is very friendly. As we had a flight in the afternoon the next day we asked for a late checkout so we would not arrive too early at the airport. We got a new checkout time of 1pm which was perfect.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnExpressAlx, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the great review! Please come back and see us in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel is top notch for Holiday Inn. Good room, good breakfast, good internet... The major issue is shuttle service. If you stay with your own car, this hotel is great. The shuttle makes 1 stop at the subway station that is <5 minutes away. For some odd reason, Holiday Inn and a neighboring motel share the shuttle (it is a van, not a bus). Because seats are limited, they have to make multiple runs and the wait is unbearable. The subway is TOO FAR to walk so you are at the mercy of the shuttle. On 2 occasions we had to wait 40 minutes for the shuttle. One time we had to call the shuttle twice to pick us up. NOTE: The hotel's shuttle only runs up to 10pm and they need to extend it. There are no restaurants in the area that is an easy walk either.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnExpressAlx, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Nathan T., Thank you for giving us a 4 star review. I am sorry that you had delays in our complimentary shuttle service. This is not the standard and I will look into why this happened so it does not occur again. We do hope that we get another chance to earn five stars from you in the future.

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir? Share your experiences!