“Personnel problems at the Hampton” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8843 Richmond Highway, Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South Area, Alexandria, VA 22309   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Family Fun Pizza Night
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria Va
“Personnel problems at the Hampton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I am involved in group travel, so this is somewhat specialized but thought my experience could translate to others. This is a new property with a pool, exercise room, plenty of parking and nicely appointed rooms. I arrived with 3 buses in tow. At check in, while efficient, the clerk never said "hello" or welcomed me or the chaperones. The problem began the next morning with breakfast. Our group of 125 was assigned a meeting room with less than 40 seats! When informed, the manager (who was doubling as the dedicated breakfast room captain) said we'd have to come down in shifts. This was impossible, as the first people were already beginning to show up. It was implied that groups were less valued than "regular" guests. The clerk on duty when we checked in never mentioned anything about having to come down in shifts. In short, the manager was arguing with me over a problem that he and his staff caused. We ran out of food and space in the small meeting room and the front desk clerk, who was now recruited to help the manager, was grousing and sort of slamming the tray of "eggs" into the steamer. In the end, it all worked out. No "regular" guests were inconvenienced either morning and my group was taken care of. But it seems like there's a lack of customer service training at this property and that could affect "regular" guests.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New Oxford, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while on a weekend trip to Old Town Alexandria. The hotel was very nice and quiet and the breakfast was delicious. Will stay here again when in the area. This hotel is conveniently located to the local tourist places and plenty of shopping and restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Stoneham, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was excellent as to the room, lobby and breakfast. They provided a shuttle bus to the Metro so that we could visit downtown DC. The shuttle driver gave us a lot of great advise as to how to use the metro and restaurants near the hotel.

Room Tip: Middle of the floor
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Leesburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was only in town for one night to attend my cousin's wedding. The room I received was clean, comfortable, and quiet. It had a very nice layout and it made me wish I had booked another night/was going to be staying longer. The breakfast was well stocked and there were lots of options. I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Radford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our family of four stayed in the hotel for two nights as we came to visit Washington D.C. and Mount Vernon on Easter weekend. We usually stay at Hampton Inn hotels when we can, and found this one to be on par with the others. The room was nice and clean and the breakfast featured your typical oatmeal, cereal, waffles, fruit, and a special carb and protein of the day. My husband and sons went swimming and enjoyed themselves. The only complaint I had at the time was that a lot of individuals seem to be asking for extra pillows, as did we, and they were having issues accommodating the request. About an hour after the original request, we were given two and told it was all they could find, but it was enough for the two of us who liked to have two pillows to be happy. When we checked out by turning in our keycards, the staff were nice enough to provide some crafts and filled Easter eggs for our children. Overall, we found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed our stay and felt it was a good value to be so close to the city, and especially Mount Vernon, which was the most enjoyable part of our visit.

However, any amiable feelings we had regarding the hotel were reversed when I received my latest credit card bill. We had reserved our rooms with USAA, and they were paid in full upon reservation. Imagine my surprise to see that not only had I been charged for the rooms in January when I made the reservation, but also again on April 6, the day after we had checked out. When we called to inquire about the charge, the hotel employee with whom we were speaking stated that she was having issues with the phones, and two separate phone calls were conveniently (and quite suspiciously) cut off after the issue of the double charge was explained. We then called the corporate line, and were told it would take an inquiry of up to 72 hours. We also called USAA, who promised to work on the issue from their end. Today, I received notice that my card has been refunded the amount I was erroneously charged. However, we still have not received word from anyone on Hampton's end as to why the charge was made in the first place. This is a real shame, because we would have stayed at this hotel again in the future when we traveled to NOVA; however, now I fear there are shenanigans going on in the billing department, and am not sure I could trust them to not double bill me again. Therefore, if you trust their ability properly bill customers, then it is worth checking out, but be careful and watch your credit statements!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
HISMTVERNON, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear FreyeEire,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service after check-out but are happy to see that the errant charges, made my mistake, were refunded. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Tracey Thompson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This property is on par with other Hampton Inns. It was clean, quiet, and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. There was a large group of middle school kids staying on our floor, but my room was still quiet.

The only reason I didn't give the hotel 5 stars is because of location, which is not anyone's fault, of course. The hotel provides a shuttle on weekdays to the nearest Metro station (Huntington) and it takes about 30-minutes, depending on time of day and traffic. The shuttle drivers were courteous and safe. If you need a ride when the shuttle isn't in service, it will cost $25-40 with Uber or taxi.

There are restaurants and a strip shopping center nearby, but it's not really walkable because of the busy highway and lack of sidewalks. Mount Vernon is about 10-minute drive. If you continue on GW Parkway toward the city, the drive along the Potomac is scenic and tree-lined.

The pool area was clean, and there is a lifeguard on duty at all times. The breakfast was adequate and predictable: waffles, eggs, some type of meat, cereal, and muffins.

This was a fine place to stay, but I will probably look for something closer to the city on my next visit to DC. Kudos to the staff though for making it pleasant and relaxing.

Stayed May 2015
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a nice hotel around 20 to 30 minutes from the Huntington metro station. Our room was small but nice, clean, efficient. The breakfast was good and the service overall was good. I would stay again but I would rather be a bit closer to the metro station.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South? Share your experiences!