“Great safe haven from the storm!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8843 Richmond Highway, Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South Area, Alexandria, VA 22309   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great safe haven from the storm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Seeking a safe haven from Hurricane Sandy, we stayed at the Hampton Inn Mt. Vernon in Alexandria, VA. As soon as we walked into their lobby, we were warmly greeted by several staff members. Checking in was easy and friendly. We were invited to participate in their pumpkin carving. A hot meal (lasagna, potato salad, sandwiches, Halloween cookies, etc) was provided, as well as, large pumpkins and carving tools. Everyone was having fun. You couldn't tell there was a dangerous storm outside! Our room was large and very clean. We got a good night's sleep and no worries about the storm. In the morning, a warm breakfast with happy hotel guests, reinforced our idea that we made the right selection in seeking refuge during this dangerous storm. Kudos to the hotel staff who made every effort (successfully!) to make us feel safe and happy!!

Room Tip: We requested a suite with a king bed and sofa bed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This nice hotel, I'm sorry to say, has bed bugs. My room and bedding looking nice and clean. However, when I woke up at 2:30 am to use the bathroom I noticed about 10 reddish-brown bugs of various sizes in between the sheets and under my pillow. I reported the problem to the manager in the morning when I checked out. We both went into the room so I could show him the bugs and he said they looked like bed bugs and would contact the exterminator. Other than that, the hotel and staff were fine!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
LeeRByrd, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention so we could take immediate action to resolve the problem. You have our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences incurred. Steritech, our licensed exterminator, resolved the problem you encountered shortly after it was reported.

Once you notified us of the issue we immediately closed your room and the rooms on either side, below, and above your room. Steritech then inspected the aforementioned rooms and found evidence of pests in only the one room; the one in which you stayed. Next, the exterminator treated the room with a chemical agent. After that, all the furnishings in the room were heated to nearly 130 degrees for several hours to ensure a 100% mortality rate.

Unfortunately, these pests occasionally hitchhike in the luggage of domestic or international travelers and find their way into even the nicest hotels. Once again; you have our sincerest apologies. On your next visit to the area; please, consider staying with us again so we may show you how much you mean to us. Complete guest satisfaction is our highest priority.
Paw Paw, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for a wedding, as did my daughter and her SO. The rooms were average. We had a small plumbing problem, but my daughter's failed completely. There were indicators that the room cleaning between guests was not a thorough as it could be. Several of us had problems reserving rooms at the block rate as the sales staff had not well communicated with the front desk. The breakfast scrambled eggs were the worst I have ever had. Was it all bad? No, the hotel is serviceable, but management needs to start paying attention.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HISMTVERNON, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. We want you to know that we have addressed both our housekeeping and maintenance teams in regards to your stay. We have also looked into the reason you had difficulty making your room reservations and found that it was an online booking and the rooms were set to be made by the original contact via a rooming list. Once we were notified of the situation our sales team took over the booking and made sure that the reservation were secured at the property level. We sincerely apologize again and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Tracey Thompson
Sierra Vista, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This stay was for a standard room. Cost was below Government per diem. Location is very close to Fort Belvoir and Mount Vernon. Also provide access to the George Washington Parkway for a stress free drive to Old Town Alexander. Not too far from Metro (parking required).

Standard hotel room. Refrigerator and microwave provided. Good walk in dual head shower. Good size bathroom. Free breakfast includes many choices including waffles, oatmeal, cereal fruit, etc.

To go south on Route 1 or to Mount Vernon a U-turn is required.

I had difficulty with the bathroom light (some kind of a touch sensitive device) but that may have been me.

I would stay here again..

Room Tip: I stayed in a low number room 101, 201, etc and had no road noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mpls, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The motel was clean, well maintained and smelled good. The staff was helpful and friendly. It's easy to find, but depending on the direction you're going and traffic, it could be difficult to get into. Our room was large and clean. The highlight of the room was the large work table that was on wheels and pulled out from under a narrow credenza. (We used it as a table to eat sandwiches on.) There was a microwave, refrigerator and coffeemaker, but we had to turn off the refrigerator due to a loud whining noise. The AC was also loud and kept turning off an on and we could hear people in the hallway. The beds were comfortable, but they creaked when we turned over. There were 35+ TV channels. The bath was clean. It was large and had a high sink.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We've stayed at several Hampton Inns and they have almost always satisfied our expectations. Clean room, comfortable beds, decent service. This was no exception. Some minor qualms though. The air conditioner is loud and turns on and off when you have it set to auto. So, every half hour or so, I was slightly awakened. On the plus side, they have a little pantry in the lobby that sells snacks and beer and other drinks. The pool looked fine, but I didn't get to try it out. Also, the continental breakfast was well received by everyone in my group.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
richmond,virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed there for Saturday night and Sunday, first weekend of August 2012. After a two plus hour to the hotel, with a small child in the car, most people can check into the hotel no matter what the time it may be. Sure, hotels lock their door at night, but usually a quick ring of the doorbell or a phone call to the front desk would solve the problem. After standing outside of the hotel for over an hour at around 2 a.m. Saturday morning, some guests were coming out so I went in to get my family checked in the hotel. While standing outside, my husband and I rang the doorbell. Repeatedly. Then we started to call the front desk from our cell phone because we figured maybe the doorbell wasn't working. Wrong. We called the hotel front desk from our cell phone. Then after I was able to have a guest let me in ( I was in uniform) I picked up the courtesy phone that is right next to the front desk which rings directly to the front desk. Still no answer. After the long wait, over one hour, we are now at around 3 a.m. The front desk person comes downstairs in the elevator and I ask her is she the only one here. She stated that she was. Afert explaining to her that we have been waiting to check in for over an hour, she tells me that she had to do her wine and beer tally sales. Hey that's her job no problem, but isn't part of that job to check people in, A bit of an attitude because I had voiced my displeasure at waiting outside for that long. We checked into our room, room 337 if I remember correctly. A king size bed was booked for this excursion. As soon as you enter the room, the mini kitchen area was there. And it covered in ants. Big ants, small ants. You name hte ant size and they were there. All around the mini fridge, light switch, floor, counter and some had gotten in the fridge. Considering that we needed the fridge to put our baby's bottles in the fridge and we wanted to sleep in the room without being carried away by ants, this was not an option to stay in this room. Called the front desk to the let them know of the ants. At first, I got a nice greeting over the phone. But after I explained that I was calling from the room that just checked in, there was no longer a happy sounding voice over phone. I let her know that the front area of the room was covered in ants. She did come upstairs quite promptly and saw that I was not exaggerating. We were then switched to room 402. Time now after 4 a.m. Same king size type room. Room was cleaner, sans ant colony. Spouse had to be at an obligatory meeting by 7 a.m. Needless to say, no sleep was had. The hotel is near a military installation so for families heading to drill, the location is good. Safeway supermarket is also nearby. Fast food places are plentiful. We did call the coroporate office to complain about our stay. Due to the long wait outside at 2 a.m, the unpleasant check in, the non apologetic front staff person, the ant party of the room, will not be staying in. Again. Oh and also, there were some people running around in the hall, but we were too tired to call the front desk to complain. Bathrooms are small, no ventilation within the small place. So you can either use the bathroom with the door close and stay trapped with shower steam or the aroma of bodily functions. Or you can leave the door open and fog up the only mirrored area in the room. Bed was big but the attempt to wash out some of the old blood stains on the flat sheet didn't help matters at all. Poor customer service or her attitude and only having one staff person in the hotel. Not all travelers can get to their destination within the usual check in hours.

Room Tip: A/C is loud at times. King size rooms are a good size. Room did have a large, thin flat screen t.v...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South? Share your experiences!