“Second visit, but better from the first is possible” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Boston, Massachusetts
“Second visit, but better from the first is possible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited this location two years ago and when coming back to DC for an extended stay we decided to look no further. This time we took advantage of services that we didn't the first time. The pool has a life guard - not that I would leave my kids alone, but a huge plus for a hotel. The washer and dryers are free - a huge huge plus when vacationing with your family and lessens the packing. Also the shuttle service, this area would be my only complaint, though a minor one, the service itself is free and it's great, you call and they come and pick you up. My only minor complaint is that when multiple families are waiting for the shuttle at the end of their day the driver has no idea who has called first and the family that you are standing next two have no idea that you are waiting for the same shuttle. I do wish that there was a better system, on more than one occasion we got "cut" in line by another family, I'd love to see the driver show up and say McDonald family next or McDonald family party of 5 or even when you call you are told that there are two families in front of you, so that you would be aware that you are not next. Again, this would be my only complaint. The hotel is extremely clean, breakfast is great, it was very quiet this time, no kids running as others have complained about, overall a great experience and will stay again if and when we are in DC.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
rlutc300, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Thrilled to hear about your return visit and that you were able to enjoy several of the amenities we have to offer. Spring Hill Suites is perfect for family fun with so much to do nearby. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced with the shuttle service during your stay and are in the process of making improvements. We hope to make your next visit just as memorable as the last and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
West Milford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here from Thursday 8/22/2013 to Sunday 8/25/2013, for a weekend family trip to Washington DC. The main reasons for picking this hotel were location, price and Tripadvisor reviews. We were about a 20 minute car ride to downtown Washington DC, and that was fine with us for this stay.

The check in staff was friendly and courteous, as was all of the desk staff we encountered during our stay. We had a 2 queen bed room that also had a queen pullout sofa on the third floor. This worked well for my family of four, however my son did complain that the bar in the center of the pull out bed was uncomfortable and did leave him sore. There was a desk as well as a nice size TV that could be viewed from the sofa or bed area. The window in our room was cracked and taped up. If I had younger children I would have been concerned for their safety, as any pressure against the glass could easily have caused someone to fall three floors down. Our room was cleaned nicely during our stay, but we were only provided 3 towels daily, to be fair we never requested anymore. The sink is separate from the toilet and shower which is nice, the addition of a curtain would be a nice, as it could then be used as a changing area while the shower is in use. There also was a sink, fridge, microwave and coffeemaker out by the couch area, that we found to be useful, clean and in great condition. In the closet there was an iron, ironing board and hair dryer. There is no safe in the room which I found very odd and troublesome. However, the worst part of the room was the lack of storage. If you are staying here with more than one person then you will need to live out of your suitcases. Although there is a nice closet with hangers, the drawer space is extremely limited. There is one medium sized drawer under the TV, and a very small 2 drawer unit in the closet, that is all there is as far as drawer space.

The hotel has a small indoor pool and hot tub which has a lifeguard on duty and has limited hours. Although it is clearly stated that children under 16 are not to use the hot tub, this was not enforced. Even though we did not allow my 10 year old daughter to go in, there were other much younger children in the hot tub. On our third day there was even a sign posted on the door to the pool stating the age limit, but it still was not enforced. The hotel also includes breakfast, served 6:30 to 9:30 on weekdays and 7:00 to 10:00 on weekends. This did get crowded on the weekends and you may want to get there earlier rather then later because they can run out of items and seating, for example on Sunday they had run out of several items over an hour before breakfast had ended. Also people tended to hoard and waste food so it can be hard to get what you want. On Sunday it was next to impossible to get milk as people would bring several of them back to their rooms. If needed, just several miles south of the hotel is all of the stores and chain restaurants you could need.

Overall I can easily recommend staying here as none of the shortcomings I mentioned negatively affected our stay. The broken window and hot tub issue can easily be corrected and if a safe and dresser were added to the rooms then they would be almost perfect.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The comments we receive allow us to make improvements where needed and are always important to us. We are pleased to know that you and your family were able to enjoy your stay and take advantage of the amenities offered. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and are continuously working to enhance the quality of service provided to every guest. Looking forward to seeing you and your family again soon.
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I checked into this hotel on Saturday, 8/17 for 6 nights with my 2 kids ages 10 and 13. We got a beautiful king room with a separate sitting area that had a pull out couch. Plenty of room for the 3 of us and never felt cramped. Our room also had a refrigerator, microwave and separate sink to allow to keep snacks in our room. The free daily breakfast was outstanding and included many different choices including: scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, juice and milk. My kids jumped out of bed every morning, because they were so exvited for breakfast! Every staff member at the hotel was extremely kind and helpful! Even a maintenance man struck up a conversation with my daughter shortly after we arrived and remembered her every time he saw her and asked her about the cool things she saw in DC. We did used the pool and hot tub and were quite surprised to see a lifeguard on duty. We did not take advantage of the free shuttle service that was offered to us. We chose to drive into DC on our own or drove to nearby Crystal City and took the metro from there. The fares from the local Huntington station are significantly higher than from other stations. For instance, an off peak roundtrip fare from Huntington to Smithsonian is $7.50 and it's only $5.50 from Crystal City. Your other options would be to buy an unlimited day pass for $14.00 or an unlimited weekly pass for $57.00. Please note that parking in DC is free on on weekends, so it's more economical to drive yourself on those days. It only takes about 15 minutes to drive to DC and about 5 minutes to drive to Old Town Alexandria. There are several stores and restaurants close by, but they're not in walking distance because the hotel is on a main road. This location is a great alternative to staying in the city. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone visiting the area. On a side note: this hotel participates with Priceline and we got an amazing deal...less than 50% off the rack rate!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
rlutc300, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Spring Hill Suites is the perfect location for families on the go and we are thrilled you made the right choice. We are also happy to hear that you and your family had a pleasant experience throughout your stay and were able to enjoy our modern decor suites as well as the outstanding amenities we have to offer. We thank you and hope to see you again soon.
Blairsville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I haven't even spent the night yet and already I can say it was excellent. I had some confusion with my reservation and due to Morgan's kindness, patience, and being clearly spoken I can say that I will enjoy this stay (Maybe even extend my stay).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The comments provided by our guests help us to constantly enhance the quality service we strive to provide. We look forward to creating a memorable experience for you throughout your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay! The front desk was very helpful, especially Tori. She provided very useful information about the metro, Smithsonian, and monuments.
The rooms are large and easily held our family comfortably (3 kids 2 adults). Breakfast was good and lots of it.
This is a very good place to stay, the price is right, the location is great and the staff is awesome. Go there!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

All of your kind words are genuinely appreciated. We are happy to hear that you and your family were comfortable in our modern decor suites throughout your stay. We always encourage our guests to take full advantage of all the amenities Spring Hill Suites has to offer and are pleased to know you had the opportunity to do so. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

First, the staff was fantastic. The front desk associate, Estella, helped me more I ever expected. She was able to check me in early (even though I said I could wait as my plane got in way earlier than stated). She then provided excellent information on how to easily get into DC and how to use the Metro. Without her help, I wouldn't have had the great day exploring that I did. The breakfast was okay but I never have high expectations with a free breakfast in hotels. The room was fantastic. I love the setup and everything was very nice. This is not my first stay at a Springhill and their modern-style rooms are one of the reasons I stay with them. The shuttle was great in the morning hours to the Metro, but like someone else, I did wait a bit in the evening. But there were others waiting with me so I felt a bit safer. All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
rlutc300, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Our staff here at Spring Hill Suites is delighted to hear that you were pleased with your stay and that you took advantage of some amenities we have to offer. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced in relation to the shuttle and are constantly working on enhancing the quality of service delivered to each guest. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Millersville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Kudos to Mr. Rick Lutchman, General Manager, for a warm welcome, professional disposition and smooth check-in. The staff is very friendly and made me feel at home. Kudos to the cleaning staff. When I walked into my room, it was nicely decorated and very clean. You all do an outstanding job cleaning the suites and you also made me feel at home. Kudos and thanks breakfast staff for the awesome breakfast each morning. A front desk staff gave me information on places to eat and shop. I love to shop. I also enjoyed my time at the pool. Check-out is 12:00, I checked out at 11:45. I think you all get the message, I did not want to go home. I felt at home. Kudos and thanks to you, Ms. Estela for your smile and a smooth check-out.
Parker

Room Tip: I always request the top floor. Just don't care to have people above me and it's much quiete...