“I can easily recommend staying here” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
West Milford, New Jersey
“I can easily recommend staying here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here from Thursday 8/22/2013 to Sunday 8/25/2013, for a weekend family trip to Washington DC. The main reasons for picking this hotel were location, price and Tripadvisor reviews. We were about a 20 minute car ride to downtown Washington DC, and that was fine with us for this stay.

The check in staff was friendly and courteous, as was all of the desk staff we encountered during our stay. We had a 2 queen bed room that also had a queen pullout sofa on the third floor. This worked well for my family of four, however my son did complain that the bar in the center of the pull out bed was uncomfortable and did leave him sore. There was a desk as well as a nice size TV that could be viewed from the sofa or bed area. The window in our room was cracked and taped up. If I had younger children I would have been concerned for their safety, as any pressure against the glass could easily have caused someone to fall three floors down. Our room was cleaned nicely during our stay, but we were only provided 3 towels daily, to be fair we never requested anymore. The sink is separate from the toilet and shower which is nice, the addition of a curtain would be a nice, as it could then be used as a changing area while the shower is in use. There also was a sink, fridge, microwave and coffeemaker out by the couch area, that we found to be useful, clean and in great condition. In the closet there was an iron, ironing board and hair dryer. There is no safe in the room which I found very odd and troublesome. However, the worst part of the room was the lack of storage. If you are staying here with more than one person then you will need to live out of your suitcases. Although there is a nice closet with hangers, the drawer space is extremely limited. There is one medium sized drawer under the TV, and a very small 2 drawer unit in the closet, that is all there is as far as drawer space.

The hotel has a small indoor pool and hot tub which has a lifeguard on duty and has limited hours. Although it is clearly stated that children under 16 are not to use the hot tub, this was not enforced. Even though we did not allow my 10 year old daughter to go in, there were other much younger children in the hot tub. On our third day there was even a sign posted on the door to the pool stating the age limit, but it still was not enforced. The hotel also includes breakfast, served 6:30 to 9:30 on weekdays and 7:00 to 10:00 on weekends. This did get crowded on the weekends and you may want to get there earlier rather then later because they can run out of items and seating, for example on Sunday they had run out of several items over an hour before breakfast had ended. Also people tended to hoard and waste food so it can be hard to get what you want. On Sunday it was next to impossible to get milk as people would bring several of them back to their rooms. If needed, just several miles south of the hotel is all of the stores and chain restaurants you could need.

Overall I can easily recommend staying here as none of the shortcomings I mentioned negatively affected our stay. The broken window and hot tub issue can easily be corrected and if a safe and dresser were added to the rooms then they would be almost perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I checked into this hotel on Saturday, 8/17 for 6 nights with my 2 kids ages 10 and 13. We got a beautiful king room with a separate sitting area that had a pull out couch. Plenty of room for the 3 of us and never felt cramped. Our room also had a refrigerator, microwave and separate sink to allow to keep snacks in our room. The free daily breakfast was outstanding and included many different choices including: scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, juice and milk. My kids jumped out of bed every morning, because they were so exvited for breakfast! Every staff member at the hotel was extremely kind and helpful! Even a maintenance man struck up a conversation with my daughter shortly after we arrived and remembered her every time he saw her and asked her about the cool things she saw in DC. We did used the pool and hot tub and were quite surprised to see a lifeguard on duty. We did not take advantage of the free shuttle service that was offered to us. We chose to drive into DC on our own or drove to nearby Crystal City and took the metro from there. The fares from the local Huntington station are significantly higher than from other stations. For instance, an off peak roundtrip fare from Huntington to Smithsonian is $7.50 and it's only $5.50 from Crystal City. Your other options would be to buy an unlimited day pass for $14.00 or an unlimited weekly pass for $57.00. Please note that parking in DC is free on on weekends, so it's more economical to drive yourself on those days. It only takes about 15 minutes to drive to DC and about 5 minutes to drive to Old Town Alexandria. There are several stores and restaurants close by, but they're not in walking distance because the hotel is on a main road. This location is a great alternative to staying in the city. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone visiting the area. On a side note: this hotel participates with Priceline and we got an amazing deal...less than 50% off the rack rate!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Blairsville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I haven't even spent the night yet and already I can say it was excellent. I had some confusion with my reservation and due to Morgan's kindness, patience, and being clearly spoken I can say that I will enjoy this stay (Maybe even extend my stay).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay! The front desk was very helpful, especially Tori. She provided very useful information about the metro, Smithsonian, and monuments.
The rooms are large and easily held our family comfortably (3 kids 2 adults). Breakfast was good and lots of it.
This is a very good place to stay, the price is right, the location is great and the staff is awesome. Go there!!

• Stayed August 2013
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

First, the staff was fantastic. The front desk associate, Estella, helped me more I ever expected. She was able to check me in early (even though I said I could wait as my plane got in way earlier than stated). She then provided excellent information on how to easily get into DC and how to use the Metro. Without her help, I wouldn't have had the great day exploring that I did. The breakfast was okay but I never have high expectations with a free breakfast in hotels. The room was fantastic. I love the setup and everything was very nice. This is not my first stay at a Springhill and their modern-style rooms are one of the reasons I stay with them. The shuttle was great in the morning hours to the Metro, but like someone else, I did wait a bit in the evening. But there were others waiting with me so I felt a bit safer. All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Millersville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Kudos to Mr. Rick Lutchman, General Manager, for a warm welcome, professional disposition and smooth check-in. The staff is very friendly and made me feel at home. Kudos to the cleaning staff. When I walked into my room, it was nicely decorated and very clean. You all do an outstanding job cleaning the suites and you also made me feel at home. Kudos and thanks breakfast staff for the awesome breakfast each morning. A front desk staff gave me information on places to eat and shop. I love to shop. I also enjoyed my time at the pool. Check-out is 12:00, I checked out at 11:45. I think you all get the message, I did not want to go home. I felt at home. Kudos and thanks to you, Ms. Estela for your smile and a smooth check-out.
Parker

Room Tip: I always request the top floor. Just don't care to have people above me and it's much quiete...