“Stay here when your conference is at Gaylord National” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Nashville, Tennessee
“Stay here when your conference is at Gaylord National”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here for 7 nights in October. We flew into Dulles and rented a car. it took about 40 minutes to drive to this property on a Wednesday afternoon. It takes about 15 minutes to drive to the National Mall from this hotel.

This property is decorated in a boutique hotel style. It is clean and well maintained. The beds were very comfortable.

The staff is helpful. Especially Kathy on the evening shift who helped my wife and I with questions about local attractions and restaurants.

I would stay here again and recommend to friends. The Fairfield and Springhill by Marriott properties offer excellent value and this property doesn't disappoint.

There are local restaurants in Alexandria Old Town about 5 minute drive north and there are plenty of chain restaurants about 5 minutes south (Chili's, Appleby's, Ruby Tuesday).

King Street in Alexandria is a must see. We walked it from end to end over a couple of days. Cool shops, houses and restaurants. If you like italian try the Pines. It's not pretty but it is delicious.

We did have a problem with the television signal in our room. The front desk staff, manager and maintenance staff really worked on the problem and changed the television twice (I personally think the problem was the coaxial cable in the wall). They gave us a bottle of wine one evening when they couldn't get the problem fixed which was a nice gesture. It was more important to us to have a room away from the elevators than to move to a room with a more reliable signal.

The free hotel shuttle can get you to the Metro station in about 4 minutes but not to National Harbor.

I had a conference at the Gaylord National. Typically it took me 10 minutes or less each morning to drive to the Gaylord. About 6 minutes if it was any other time of day. One morning there was an accident on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and it took me 20 minutes. Parking at the Gaylord National is $22 per day and there are NO in/outs for that $22 if you are not an overnight guest. After the first day, my wife dropped me off in the morning and picked me up in the afternoon. We saved $132 in Gaylord parking.

Hint for first time Washington D.C. sightseers. On weeknights we could park curbside for free for 2 hours right across from the White House and on week day afternoons we could park for free curbside right across from the Martin Lurther King, Jr. Memorial. From there we could easily walk to the King, Lincoln, Vietnam and Korean War Veterans memorials and it was a short walk to the World War II Memorial.

Take the Metro to L'Enfant Plaza for the Air and Space Museum, Capitol, Library of Congress and U.S. Surpreme Court. About $13.00 round trip for two which is cheaper than parking, if you can find parking near these areas, and you'd still have to walk about as far L'Enfant

Room Tip: For quiet choose the 4th floor. We had a room facing the Richmond Highway and NEVER heard a sound.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Clermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed for three nights while attending a wedding. The ultra modern setting was interesting once you got used to it. The only problem we experienced was that there seemed to be no fan in the bathroom for air circulation after showers. We did enjoy our stay and the staff was very friendly and willing to help. Liked the sitting area in the room. Quite a bit of road noise, so I would suggest rooms situated away from the roadway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our first room had a bad mildew smell, so we got switched to another room which smelled fine. Until the Air conditioning kicked on, and then the mildew smell was back. Other than that, the hotel was very nice. Breakfast was good, staff was friendly, and there was a shuttle bus to the nearest Metro which was convenient.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

My family stayed here for a birthday event nearby. Everyone was very happy with the accommodations. Room had a couch area with microwave and refrigerator, a large desk area, very good lighting (a must for me!), a large flat screen tv visible from all living areas, a very comfortable bed and a tub/shower/toilet area with separate sink area. Toilet was very quiet, whuch is nice if you are sharing the room. Very large mirrors. My only complaint was that the water pressure in the shower was low.

• Stayed September 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting Washington. The hotel is on a main road in Alexandria but backs onto woods.It's minutes away from the Old Town and the metro station to take you into the heart of DC.We had a room at the back and it was very quiet but we had family staying at the front and they had no comnplaints re noise. The rooms are modern, very clean, spacious and have everything you need. It's a mini suite with an opaque glass partition where the desk is located. There's a comfy sofa/chaise longue and kitchenette with fridge,sink, microwave and coffee maker. Bed was very comfy, bathroom clean and funtional. Great morror over the washbasin! The hotel gives a complimentary hot breakfast buffet including scrambled eggs, sausages, waffles, toast,pastries, cereal etc. There's a gym, small pool and jacuzzi and my only minor gripes are related to that. No showers/changing room at the pool and pool only open evenings at weekdays and from 10am weekends which meant I couldn't have my early morning swim before breakfast. There's small selection of food and drink for sale by reception and it was very reasonable priced. Staff were efficient,friendly and helpful. This is agreat place to stay if visiting DC/Alexandria and Mt. Vernin is 10 mins away.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back
Gainesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel was very clean and everything seemed new. The free breakfast was wonderful, and the kitchenette in the room was a nice touch. If you arrive at this hotel after 4PM, there is no parking in the front. The majority of the parking for this hotel is at the rear of the building, down a hill, with an expanse of dark woods surrounding it. As a female, I was NOT comfortable parking down there, and one night I actually sat in my car in the loading area at the front of the hotel until someone parked up front left. The side exit door outside my room was full of spiders. My hotel room stank from the down pillows on the bed, and when I complained of this, I was told by the rude front desk attendant that there should be foam pillows on the bed. Whoever told him that was mistaken, they were all down pillows. The thermostat was just inside the door, and the AC unit was in front of the window on the opposite side of the room. The distance caused it to turn on and off frequently. The unit itself was very loud, and at night it woke me up each time it turned on. The hotels website, and even documentation in the room states that complimentary coffee is available throughout the day into the evening. There was no coffee, and the front desk attendant told me that they dont do that anymore. They wanted $6 for a Starbucks coffee from the little snack area at the front desk (HA!) The coffee maker in the room was junk, and the cups that fit in it are really small. The hotel was nice in appearance, but all the little irksome things combined made for a bad experience for me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
rlutc300, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I regret that your stay with us was not a problem-free one. After reviewing your comments, I am disappointed to find so many issues with your past stay that could have been avoided. Moving forward, I have coordinated with my front desk staff and housekeeping supervisor on the issue of the pillows in the room, so that they will be no mistake as to the layout in the rooms in the future. Furthermore, the in room documentations are in the process of being updated to abide to our new policies regarding coffee. I am also looking into the issue of the $6 Starbucks coffee. Our Starbucks Frappuccino coffees are actually $3.I will review our front desk scanners to make sure they maintain accurate amounts of our marketplace items. In conclusion, I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on our property. We here at the SpringHill Suites are proud to provide a product that will have guests return to stay with us again. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to servicing you in the near future.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We found SpringHill while on the road, searching for a hotel. We were accommodated very quickly. Our room was very modern and clean, we were amazed by the space! We were all in the same room without being jammed together!
The beds were very comfortable, even the pullout!
The breakfast had a lot of choices! Everyone was happy!
This stay showed us again that you can ALWAYS trust a Marriott!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!