“First Class Operation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Firehouse

Columbia Firehouse
109 S. Saint Asaph St., Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
(703) 683-1776
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King St.
Alexandria, Virginia
“First Class Operation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

It wasn't our first time at Columbia Firehouse, but my wife and I took her parents for brunch one Saturday when they were visiting from out of town. The service was fantastic and the food was equally amazing. You can't go wrong with anything on their menu, although I would highly recommend the surf & turf eggs benedict. We were running a bit behind and had made reservations for 3:00pm. Upon arrival we were informed by the hostess, rather abrasively, that the kitchen closes at 3:00pm. The reservations were through OpenTable, so I would recommend calling the restaurant directly if you plan to go. Columbia Firehouse will surpass every expectation.

• Visited September 2011

Tallahassee, FL
“Beautiful and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I have been here twice now and each time I am more impressed! The food and atmosphere are superb. Everyone I've been with has been just as pleased as I was and everyone left feeling like they should after a great meal... happy, full and satisfied. I will defiantly be returning again and again. On this visit, I had the prime rib... and man was it good. . My friend had the beef tenderloin. Both were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Not to mention the sides were absolutely scrumptious... thinking about it is making my mouth water.
On my first trip, My Dad and one of his colleagues were in town, So I brought them here... to start we shared a sampling of their sausages and cheeses which were very good (personal favorite was the chicken & piquillo sausage. Yum). For our meals, I had the short ribs(seemed to be the rave in the reviews I read before going, so I had to try them) and Everyone was right... great dish! My dad had the hanger steak and his colleague had the Scallops. For desert had the bread pudding and creme brulee.
Everything was fantastic! From what my friends and family and I have had at columbia firehouse it seems like everything they offer is delicious! I can't wait to go back and try something else!

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alexandria, VA
“Usually pretty good--with the occasional 'off' night.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We live around the corner from the Firehouse, and visit about once a month. (I always enjoy it--hubby is lukewarm.) Since it's a popular spot, with an active (and generally noisy) bar scene--even on weeknights--it can be difficult during prime time to just walk in without a reservation and be seated for dinner.

Past the bar, off in another area, though, the dining room is quiet, low-lit, uncrowded, and adorned with exposed-brick walls and faux stained glass. Service is generally efficient, but impersonal. And nearly everything I've ever ordered has tasted great--especially, imaginative salads.

But once in a while, I have to say, the Firehouse seems more lax on quality control (both the food, and the service): those salads have sometimes arrived warm and limp, served up on hot plates right out of the dishwasher. And if you dine late in the evening, you especially risk any fried foods--like string fries--appearing as soggy and limp. While prices on the (limited) menu are competitive for the area, the portions are' probably smaller than usual.

Nevertheless, I think the Firehouse does a great job, most of the time. (And I could confidently rate it higher, if it weren't for that "most of the time" part.) It's not a place to drive out of your way for; but if you're already walking up and down the main street (King St.) looking for dinner, I recommend it (located a half-block south, on St. Asaph St.).

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not your parent's date night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Went during restaurant week and it was very busy. We had a nice table up a level in the atrium, almost like a box seat. High quality food that is interesting without being too weird. Service was attentive and informative. Onion rings came with multiple sauces, inc. a smoked mayonaise that needs to be tasted to be believed. Boston lettuce salad was fine. Pork chop and beef tenderloin were cooked as requested and were nicely flavored. Dessert was where things feel apart a little. Flavors are very intense and items are not always what one might expect from the description. We plan to return, but I will probably either try the dessert sampler or skip dessert.

We went back again in March 2011 and shared the dessert sampler. Liked that a lot better than the individual desserts we had before. They also an interesting / retro cocktail menu that changes. The drink I had in January wasn't on the menu in March, but we worked something out with the bar.

Visited January 2011
Martinsville, Virginia
“Eggs Benny=Pure Eggscellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Father's Day we had the pleasure of family and friends visiting us in Alexandria. We took them to Columbia Firehouse for brunch. Everyone had a different dish-but I stayed with my favorite Sunday Brunch item- Eggs Benedict. Always perfectly prepared and always excellent.
If you have the opportunity to get to Columbia Firehouse- GO!

• Visited June 2011