“Unique” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner
Columbia, Maryland
“Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My boyfriend lived in VA years ago and loved this cafe for it's unique menu of American and Ethiopian dishes, plus the full coffee bar. We stopped in for some coffee, and I was impressed with the authentic atmosphere. It was busy but not crowded...which was refreshing. Outdoor seating also available. Perfect little cafe for a light meal and specialty drink!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Orange County, CA
“Good and affordable Ethiopian plates”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Good and affordable Ethiopian plates. $10 vegan meal included an entrée and two sides -- chosen from five options -- plus injera or rice. The flavor and spices were really good, but I was a little disappointed by the inconsistent reheating. The cabbage and potato dish ranged from cold to steaming hot. My friend’s salad, while tasty, seemed to lack dressing. Service was pleasant and attentive. It would be nice if management installed a shade on the front window. As the sun came out, it became unbearably bright, though there were enough empty tables that we could move to another. I would be happy to go there again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Hidden surprise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We just stumbled upon this little local restaurant for dinner quite by accident, but were so impressed that we went back three nights later for a second time (our anniversary). The lamb kabobs are spectacular as was the beet salad, and the ceviche salad. The homemade bread and homemade hummus were also spectacular. On the second night I tried the Ethiopian sampler and found everything to be very, very good. My wife had the eggplant parmesan which I even enjoyed (I'm not an eggplant fan) and don't forget the couscous! The restaurant is not that fancy, and the service was good, but nothing special, but the food was absolutely fantastic. The day in between we went to Vaso's Greek restaurant, which is rated #1 in Alexandria, and it was very good, but not nearly a good as the unassuming Caboose Cafe.

• Visited December 2013
New York, NY
“Underwhelming cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The lunch was only average. The jicama and mango salad with chicken forgot the chicken. Just a few thin slices laid on top. It made for a very expensive plate of jicama and mango. My husband had a Cuban sandwich or should I say their idea of one. It had very dry chorizo on it and the bread was dry except for the red oil dripping out of it from the sausage. The flavor was not at all what a Cuban sandwich should be. It was also overpriced for the small size. I'll give the other location a chance but was not impressed with what we had.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“An unexpected treasure. Looks like a simple coffee shop but dinner is great!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

The caboose is a very friendly neighborhood cafe serving muffins lattes and sandwiches by day. At night it turns into a relaxed and delicious dinner spot. The owners are Ethiopian and while my husband opts for one of their comforting dinner items, spaghetti chicken pram, Etc. I always get one their Ethiopian Chicken inflay or beef zizitibs are 2 of my faves. Caboose also has a lovely patio -- prefect for people and dog watching

• Visited August 2013