“Good and affordable Ethiopian plates” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #210 of 670 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Bakery
Orange County, CA
“Good and affordable Ethiopian plates”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Good and affordable Ethiopian plates. $10 vegan meal included an entrée and two sides -- chosen from five options -- plus injera or rice. The flavor and spices were really good, but I was a little disappointed by the inconsistent reheating. The cabbage and potato dish ranged from cold to steaming hot. My friend’s salad, while tasty, seemed to lack dressing. Service was pleasant and attentive. It would be nice if management installed a shade on the front window. As the sun came out, it became unbearably bright, though there were enough empty tables that we could move to another. I would be happy to go there again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Miami, Florida
“Hidden surprise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We just stumbled upon this little local restaurant for dinner quite by accident, but were so impressed that we went back three nights later for a second time (our anniversary). The lamb kabobs are spectacular as was the beet salad, and the ceviche salad. The homemade bread and homemade hummus were also spectacular. On the second night I tried the Ethiopian sampler and found everything to be very, very good. My wife had the eggplant parmesan which I even enjoyed (I'm not an eggplant fan) and don't forget the couscous! The restaurant is not that fancy, and the service was good, but nothing special, but the food was absolutely fantastic. The day in between we went to Vaso's Greek restaurant, which is rated #1 in Alexandria, and it was very good, but not nearly a good as the unassuming Caboose Cafe.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York, NY
“Underwhelming cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The lunch was only average. The jicama and mango salad with chicken forgot the chicken. Just a few thin slices laid on top. It made for a very expensive plate of jicama and mango. My husband had a Cuban sandwich or should I say their idea of one. It had very dry chorizo on it and the bread was dry except for the red oil dripping out of it from the sausage. The flavor was not at all what a Cuban sandwich should be. It was also overpriced for the small size. I'll give the other location a chance but was not impressed with what we had.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“An unexpected treasure. Looks like a simple coffee shop but dinner is great!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

The caboose is a very friendly neighborhood cafe serving muffins lattes and sandwiches by day. At night it turns into a relaxed and delicious dinner spot. The owners are Ethiopian and while my husband opts for one of their comforting dinner items, spaghetti chicken pram, Etc. I always get one their Ethiopian Chicken inflay or beef zizitibs are 2 of my faves. Caboose also has a lovely patio -- prefect for people and dog watching

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Came with high hopes but went away disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We went to Caboose Cafe on a Friday evening for dinner. It was listed in a vegetarian dining guide, so we thought we'd give it a try since we were in the area.

We sat outside on the patio, which is a lovely setting!

We ordered some drinks and the Ethiopian vegan sampler for two. Sadly, it took more than a half an hour for the food to come out. The food was alright when it was served.

I asked what fresh juices they had, and I was told the orange juice was freshly squeezed. However, what I was served did not taste freshly squeezed.

I don't think we are likely to dine there again.

Visited May 2013