“Neighborhood Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
A la Lucia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 668 Restaurants in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Royal St. (800 Block)
Transit: The closest MetroRail Stop is Braddock Road (Yellow and Blue Lines) Distance 12 Blocks, however walking is not recommended. Alexandria Dash Bus #AT2 and/or #AT5 Bus will stop accross the street from the restaurant.
Pasadena
“Neighborhood Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We dined here last night. It was early on a Saturday. We were the only diners but an hour later the restaurant was filled.

The menu is varied. The waitress was very helpful guiding us on what she thought were the best dishes. I had the veal scallopine with fontina cheese and fresh green beans. It was delicious and finished with the pistachio gelato. The two other guests dining with me were equally impressed with their entrées. The wine list was very adequate. A delicious focaccia and bruschetta were served while we awaited our main course.

I recommend this restaurant. There are other Italian restaurants in this neighborhood and this one scores higher.

Very family friendly!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Alexandria, Virginia
“Best in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We go there at least once or twice a month ...I normally order the trio ( pick appetizer, main dish and desert ) price $ 35..not bad at all..services are great and very friendly. Always make reservation since is always busy specially saturday night.
Wine list only Italian . Their seafood with black pasta very unique and delicious.
Great and romantic place !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
McLean, VA
“Lots to like, a couple of nits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I go to this restaurant from time to time, as I attend classes at the Art League next store. Its decor and ambiance are delightful. Service is speedy and prices are not out of this world. Recently I went and ordered a caprese salad and a glass of wine. The salad was good, but it included only two small basil leaves--not what I'm accustomed to. Also, the service was pleasant but a bit uneven. In some ways it was slow: my salad got there before my bread and the darling little mouthful of bruschetta they provide as an amuse-bouche. In other ways, it was fast: my plate was cleared immediately and my check was provided and credit card swiped nearly instantaneously. To be fair, I did arrive very early and the dining room was empty, so the quick attention likely was due more to the lack of competition than any desire to rush me through.

I will go back, and encourage others to go as well!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Try the Lasagna! Good bread, great olive oil, Italians in the House!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I always look for an Italian in either the kitchen or at the front of the house -- and here you get them, from Parma no less! The lasagna is to die for. Start out with nice Italian bread dipped in genuine olive oil, then lasagna with grated parmeggiano. Many other great dishes. No reservations for lunch, but you'll never wait, as this location is off the main area of Alexandria. The DC are has so many pseudo-Italian restaurnants, with mediocre food for tourists, but A La Lucia is the real deal...reminds me of the genuine Trattorias in Italy. Very good!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best find in Old Town Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

As a resident of south Old Town, with so many restaurants within a brief walk from our house, we never considered trying A La Lucia despite the many encouragements we received from friends. I regret we waited so long. As someone who lived in Italy for five years from 2004-2009, my standards for rating Italian cuisine in the U.S. rose almost beyond the capabilities of U.S. restaurants to measure up. In the last few years, my standards relaxed, as I only get to Italy 2-3 times a year.

I was recently at Geranio, which offered in my view, the best Italian-American fare in Old Town. But then I took my family to A La Lucia for lunch today. I almost cried. I closed my eyes after tasting the the veal scalloppini, with instant flashes reminding me of an unforgettable meal in the village of Semproniano in southern Tuscany. The wine list, while limited, contained three of our favorite Tuscan reds at very reasonable prices. To find these at a local restaurant is enough to bring us back many times in the future, but both my wife and daughter said their main dishes (eggplant parmezhan and stuffed pasta) were both reminiscent of meals they can recall. Now...it may sound odd that we would recall meals in Italy from years ago, but anyone who has ever lived in Italy can probably close their eyes and recall every wonderful meal they ever had.

Our waiter made my wife chuckle because from the moment we sat down, he spoke only Italian to me. If I didn't know Italian, I probably would have considered this pretentious; for me, it was like being back.

A La Lucia is definitely not pretentious. It is like a neighborhood Trattoria in Testacio or the back streets of Siena. It is off the beaten path for tourists, so I hope only those who want to enjoy a wonderful meal surrounded by Old Townies come by. Leave it for us!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere