“Absolutely lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
BRABO Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 706 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard St
Transit: Metro one block, free trolley
Description: Named for a statue in Chef Wiedmaier father's hometown of Antwerp, Belgium, BRABO Restaurant is as legendary and longstanding as its namesake hero. The award-winning talents of Chef Wiedmaier and designer Vicente Wolf harmonize for unforgettable dining at BRABO Restaurant. The comfortable dining room's stylish details like a custom hammered copper bar reflect our historic Old Town location, while private dining on the hotel's outdoor terraces offers extraordinary Old Town views. For private parties of up to ten, you can also reserve the restaurant's Chef's Table, where the chef and wine director visit the table and tailor food and wine pairings just for you. Or take advantage of the season's warm weather with a table in our outdoor dining area. BRABO is dedicated to environmental and social responsibility. From developing supportive relationships with local Alexandria farmers and the surrounding Virginia community to recycling kitchen grease for bio-diesel fuel, we are committed to a greener future. BRABO's eco-friendly practices translate directly to the table with delicious results.
“Absolutely lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We didn't have reservations because we came to the restaurant at the last minute, but the hostess was kind and found us a table. Our dining experience was the sensational. The scallops were phenomenal, the Shenandoah Lamb Loin was like nothing I have ever tasted (it melted in my mouth) and the creme brule was out of this world. The customer service was superb and the wine selection nothing short of amazing. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone ~ it was worth every penny ~

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mango808

Marlboro, New Jersey
“A Good place to eat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The ambiance was very nice, and the staff was friendly and professional. The food was very good, I had the Pork loin and my wife had the fish. Both dishes were very good but they didn't stand out the way I expected them too.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I knew it’d be good, but wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I live in Old Town and have been trying out all the restaurants over the past few years. I’m sorry I waited so long to try Brabo! The staff were well informed on all matters: history of the Brabo name, wine selections, how the food is prepared – you name it!

My pork loin was amazing! I didn’t need a knife to cut – that tender! Every aspect of the service – perfect. We loved it so much, we moved to the bar after dinner to drink more wine. The bartender was fun, also informative and has very tasty cocktails (self-created)!

Give a cocktail a try before your meal! Enjoy!

Eugene, OR
“The Butcher's Block...We Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our plan...meet in DC and have dinner, my daughter (nearly 16) & I. After the hassle of getting together and all the crowds and nonsense, we decided to head back to our hotel, Lorien Hotel & Spa, to regroup and have dinner in Alexandria. We got off the Metro sweaty and tired. One of those sandwich boards was on the sidewalk announcing 'beer tasting'. They closed in 15 minutes and I saw a cooler of food. I suggested we hold off on the room and check it out. Sure I got to taste beer, but she found a sandwich that she ordered four more times in our 5 day visit. Our first visit, July 8th, the staff was very nice and very helpful. Not a lot of seats but not a lot of people. Our next visit was not quite as helpful...Wednesday...but when we said how much we liked our last visit, they upped their game.

Our last day in Alexandria, Friday, we puttered around old town a bit and had a few hours to kill. We decided to spend the last few hours of pre-airport security freedom here. What a sendoff! A great lunch, great conversation with the staff, and a beer for later in the suitcase and sandwiches for the plane.

Sure DC has sites to see and puts butts in the seats in the area, and I did that stuff, but being humans we gotta interact with other humans. And being humans from across the country, this place was a great spot to escape the insanity of tourist zones with some fine staff.

Try the caprese sandwich. I liked and drank all their Port City pilsner. If they are busy, not a lot of seats.

My heartfelt thanks to the Butcher Block.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Impeccable service, food lacked luster :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I heard great things about Brabo so we were very excited to finally give it a try. The restaurant itself is in lovely Old Town and is close to the Metro stop, which is very nice. We liked the atmosphere inside, and I especially enjoyed the comfortable armchairs at our table. The service was fantastic from beginning to end. The bread and butter that they bring out is tasty. I gave Brabo three stars because for us, the food missed the mark. We got the tasting menu and everything on it sounded great but nothing really delivered. I don't think it was us because we enjoy tasting menus fairly often, and usually have something to rave about. We felt that the flavors were just mediocre, at least one dish seemed more appropriate for the fall, and the dessert (strawberry w/mint sorbet sounded yummy) just did not work. Something really seemed off on that last one. Maybe it was an off night? It was 7:30 on a Sunday evening, but I don't think that should matter at a nice restaurant like this.
I hate giving this rating because we wanted to love this place! Maybe we will give it one more chance someday.

• Visited June 2013