“MOST PLEASANT HOTEL FOR A CONFERENCE” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Parking & Wifi Deal!
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
LITTLE CURRENT, ONTARIO, CANADA
“MOST PLEASANT HOTEL FOR A CONFERENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

For the past four years, I have attended a weeklong conference (Masonic Week) in Washington D.C. each February and stayed at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center Hotel, Alexandria, Virginia.

The Hilton Alexandria Mark Center Hotel is a very large hotel. The rates we are charged are very reasonable and the conference facilities including the meeting rooms, halls and public areas are all first class. The entire hotel is very spacious and extremely clean. The lobby area, bar and restaurants are beautiful and the marble floors, cushioned seats and furniture are very comfortable and in great condition.

The hotel rooms are spacious, very clean; the carpeting is in excellent condition and well looked after. The washrooms are clean, well supplied and the view from the hotel room and balcony was very picturesque. Room service is available and the food provided was first rate. The beds were extremely comfortable and the sheets were very clean, white and crisp. The hotel rooms did not have any smell and the heating and ventilation was very good. The furniture in the hotel rooms were always in excellent condition. The hallways are very clean as are the elevators and the entire hotel is well lit. The Internet provided to the rooms was hard wired and very fast. Wireless internet is also available in the rooms. The parking lot is three levels, very clean, well lit and easy to find your vehicle. The entire grounds were well groomed, professionally landscaped and maintained and without sore eye refuge.

Attending numerous banquets over the years at this hotel – one can only say that the tables were set up beautifully, the food was tasty and well presented, the servers were polite, courteous and truly professional. The sound system provided by the hotel for the dinner speakers were always operational and crystal clear to the listeners.

The hotel employees from the front desk staff to room service are all very friendly, helpful, and professional and always provide service with a smile. The front desk staff – Sara, Julie and Gokhan Altinbay, Front Desk Manager were just excellent. True professionalism shines and comes to the forefront by these employees. The Porters were excellent, courteous, helpful and professional. Without hesitation, I recommend the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center to all. I am positive that our event organizers will once again use this facility for their venue.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Jacksonville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

The price I paid was reasonable considering the name of the hotel I stayed at. The room I stayed in was very large and had a great view. Front desk staff were Very friendly!

For the things that bothered me about the Alexandria M.C
The parking attendant (African American Lady), had a blank expressionless lethargic look on her face everytime I had to leave or come into the parking garage. Very cold, lack of life look to her. That was not welcoming what so ever, it actually worried my girlfriend because she is not from an area such as d.c.
Our hotel room (2518 I believe), had a huge red stain on the floor that made me wonder, "why couldn't they give us a room that is flawless???" There were like 6 guest in your hotel this weekend, it seems like we could have found a better room. There wasn't a fridge in our room when we arrived so we had to call for one, not a big error, I just expected that the Hilton would have one. The fridge that we did get, came with the temperature knob inside the fridge on the shelf. I assumed that the hole in the back of the inside of the fridge was where it would go however, there was no way to adjust the temperature settings because it just kept spinning, leaving our food and drinks to slush and freeze.
The movie I paid for on the t.v I believe it was like $16.00 (including tax, Maybe an electricity tax??) I understand that this was still cheaper than getting a taxi and going to the movies however, the in room experience is not meant to compete with the theatre, its meant to provide a relaxing environment. I would have purchased 2 movies if they would have equaled $16 combined, not just one which by the way was a terrible movie. (dinner for shmucks)
Also, the Sushi house in the restaurant was great food with not so good service. After we ordered I went to the counter to have a conversation with a Japanese employee and met Richard, the guy who doesn't speak Japanese. The one man there who did was pleasant to talk to, I guess I am just growing increasingly disappointed with the sushi industry for hiring a 9-1 foreigner ratio, its almost like going for Mexican food and having a Japanese cook. Also, we had to flag down a different waitress to bring our check, because ours didn't come back even 30 minutes after she checked on us the first time.
From the high intensity torque that the elevator delivered I got motion sickness Saturday night and had to wander to the gift shop for medicine. I paid $5.00 for 10 Excedrin. I would rather pay $3.00 for 5 because I have plenty at home, and I would be at least saving a few dollars. Also, the gift shop lady had no personality or personable experience about her. Very dull and appearing to be unhappy about her job.

I understand the Hilton has to pay its bills however, maybe add the price to the alcohol or the shuttle, making a free service a minimal charge service that still beats the taxi fare.

I would like to let you know that I have been to hotels from Australia, to Thailand, Lived in Japan for 2 Years, and been all around America in hotel after hotel. I am honest when I say, I will not stay in a Hilton again. Unless it was 100 % free, I would not be willing to pay for the name and the view or the curtains and the unstocked "Robo Bar" or the 5 employees standing in the lobby carrying on their own conversations. I am not 100% unsatisfied with my stay, as it was a overall good weekend, I just felt better about being out of the hotel than I did staying inside of it.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

My father was in the hospital in the area and my family unexpectedly needed a room for several nights. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable and attractive and the rate was extremely reasonable for the quality of the hotel. It was only a mile from the hospital so the convenience couldn't be beat. The parking was a bit pricey but the valet guys were wonderful. They inquired about my father's health every time they got the car for us. Everyone went above and beyond and we really appreciated it in such a stressful time. I would love to stay at this hotel again under more pleasant circumstances. We had a beautiful view from our room on the 19th floor, we could even see the Capital and the Washington Monument. Special thanks to the woman at the front desk, I believe her name was Sandra perhaps. She was wonderful and so helpful. A big thanks to everyone at the Hilton Mark Center!

• Stayed February 2011
Plano TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Stayed here a week while working at our local office in Alexandria. Overall the hotel was very nice and maintained well. My room was on 22nd floor (room 2208) and even had a large 10' x 15' balcony with table/chairs though the weather was too cold/snowy to enjoy it. The restaurant is very expensive for what you get so I don't recommend it unless money is no object. In the bar they have a "casual food" menu with much more reasonable prices. Just down Beauregard there are several choices of restaurants much less expensive. Plus there is small refrigerator in room and I purchased a few things at the Giant food store about 3 blocks south next to the restaurants mentioned above. The parking is $15/night and conveniently attached to hotel. They do have a free shuttle to National airport & Pentagon City but I didn't use it. The TV is older tube type but selection of channels was good. Not sure how you get to use the fitness center -- every time I tried in morning the aerobic machines were full with people waiting. So I just climbed several flights of stairs (30 floors so no shortage) instead.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I read the reviews before booking, saw how impressive the pictures were, and thought I really had a great deal. The hotel itself seems a little old, but you can tell they are trying in some areas. I was surprised to see how worn some places in the room were. When we asked the concierge about dining, his comment was 'you mean besides this expensive place?'. He referred to the Finn and Porter restaurant in the lobby, where everything is close to $20 per plate! I got coffee from the restaurant, that I poured myself, and when I asked it be charged to the room, the guy flagged down a waiter, added a $2 tip and charged it! The only other options nearby are the 7-11 across the street for snacks and delivery service. On day two, my wallet was stolen on the metro. When I asked the front desk to make a call to report it to the police, I was told there was no public phone and I needed to go use the one in the room. I paid $4 to call 911! Overall, the hotel wasn't bad, but the service absolutely sucked. I've never been made more unwelcomed at a hotel in my life. My expectations are high, but honestly, I could have had better service at a Quality Inn.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was very sorry to hear that your stay was not a more pleasant one. Please accept my apologies for the areas in which we dissappointed you, particularly the lapses in service.

I am happy to report that we have begun a complete guest room renovation, which will be complete by the summer of 2011.

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again soon.

Pine Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for MAGFest 9, between January 14th and 16th. I'll get the good stuff out of the way first.

I have a handicapped placard in my car on account of my weak ankles. Much to my dismay, handicapped parking was hard to come by for this event. However, a gentleman whose name I can not recollect at this moment was more than extremely helpful in this regard, and went out of his way to clear an off-limits space for me, in addition to giving me the necessary means to secure said parking spot, given that I would be commuting about town fairly often for the duration of the conference for a great number of reasons. Whoever was put in charge of parking for the week of 13-16, I salute you sir. Once I found a handicapped spot though, I never lost it during my stay, thanks to this man's work. Wish I could've gotten his name, I would have sent him flowers.

My room was excellent, with a comfy roll-away cot (I was one of multiple people staying in this room), a fridge for my soda, and plenty of space for us to throw our luggage about, as well as a few chairs for the myriad of visitors we entertained during the week.

Now, the problems. THE ELEVATORS. MY GOD, THE ELEVATORS. At least one of the elevators was hijacked by a group of neanderthals who kept braying "ELEVATOR PARTY!" over and over again into the wee hours. Even at 4 in the morning, we could hear it. Then, they kept getting overcrowded and one time, while I was on an elevator with my sister and her boyfriend, the elevator violently jolted to a halt. Once we kicked a few people off, it started working again. I find it rather unfortunate that the hotel and/or convention organizers didn't assert themselves more when it came to this, although I later heard there WERE arrests, but too little too late.

The restaurant service was sub-par; waiting thirty minutes just to get your beverages is about twenty minutes too many, especially when the establishment isn't exactly at the peak of business.

Overall though, were MAG to be held here again, I'd stay here again, although I sincerely hope that con organizers and hotel management put their foot down quicker and with more force when it comes to elevator shenanigans and poor service.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our Hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for the details about your parking experience; I will share your comments with the parking team, so they will know what a positive impact they had on your stay.

Thanks also for your comments about the elevator service. While we do employ extra security during the Magfest Convention, particularly overnight, it is apparent from your experience that we may need to re-deploy in the future.

We hope to have the opportunity to host Magfest again next year.

Most Hospitably Yours,

Bethlehem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed for business and pleasure. This hotel was extremely clean, quiet, and professional. It's located in a quiet area so one doesn't have all of the city noise here. The shuttle service to the airport and metro was great. It was always on time, and the drivers were very friendly. The staff in the hotel was very professional and helpful. The room service was excellent.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We were very happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay.
Thank you for the kind words about our staff; I have shared your comments so that they will know what a positive impact they had on your visit.
We hope to have the opportunity to be of service again soon!

Charlie Banta

Been to Hilton Alexandria Mark Center? Share your experiences!