“Impressive accomodations, friendly staff and servers, and a very good restaurant.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Alexandria Mark Center

You added Hilton Alexandria Mark Center to your Saves list
Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5000 Seminary Road, Alexandria, VA 22311   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center for two weeks in July on business with the government. Prior to arriving, I had requested a room accommodation for an HDMI input, and received an email confirming same from the Manager, Charlie Banta, that I was upgraded to the 29th floor. The hotel was very nice, upon arriving a bit earlier than check in time, I grabbed a beer at bar and only had to wait around 25 minutes until the room was ready. The room was great, clean, large with a view, a very nice TV and a bed which rivaled my tempurpedic at home. Wireless internet is available, and it is fast enough to support a PS3. If you have a problem, the hotel staff are on it in less than 15 minutes from your call.

I ate at the restaurant, Finn & Porter, about 5-6 times during my stay for dinner, once for breakfast, and twice or so for lunch. I note that there is also a sushi chef at the restaurant who makes tasty rolls. All the meals were good, and the wait staff will gladly modify your order should you have any special requests. Also to note, as I did not have a car, the concierge maintains an extensive list of delivery joint menus to consider.

I ordered room service once for breakfast, picking a delivery window 6:00 to 6:30. The food was delivered by 6:10, and it was good, with a more than ample coffee supply (it's essential).

Since it was an extended stay, I used the in-hotel laundry and dry cleaning service and a same-day turnaround was standard. During the day, there are usually a few cabs in the lot to take you places, or the concierge will call one for you. The shuttle to Pentagon City and Ronald Reagan was also appreciated.

The hotel, as a whole, was very nice place. Unfortunately, without a car, I could not explore the area proper, but the staff will assist you as much as possible to make you comfortable.

There were also an interesting bunch of public conferences occurring during my stay. Visiting those was also an fun way to fill in the non-business hours.

The prices are what I would expect, and what I have experienced for metropolitan areas (New Orleans, NYC, Houston). Keeping that in context, the hotel was a great place to stay, and if you have a vehicle, it's wonderful. Parking was only $9 a day, when I have paid in excess of $35 to keep a vehicle in New Orleans in the past.

I recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was very pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for the kind words about our staff - I will certainly share them.
We hope we can be of service to you again in the future!

Charlie Banta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Let me start by saying that this is the first time that I have ever written a hotel review. I'm writing to warn everyone out there to stay away from this hotel! This hotel was the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in; I would have been happier had I stayed in a run-down motel and saved the money over this place. I stayed here for two weeks, and from day one, my experience was horrible. I couldn't leave this hotel though due to the fact that my employer made the reservations, and got a special rate. The other people attending the business training had similar experiences to me regarding this hotel as well.

Not to bore you with details, my main issue regarding this hotel was its staff. No one, with the exception of one lone bell hop, was nice, friendly, or accomodating. In fact, they were probably some of the rudest people I have ever encountered. Case in point: At the beginning of week 2 of my stay, I was eating take-out in my room at night, and I noticed my room getting hotter (the temperature outside was in the mid-90s the entire 2 weeks we were there). After a few hours of noticing the fan running but no cool air coming into my room, I called the front desk to inquire. It was about 9:30 at night, and I am also 7 months pregnant. When she answered the phone, I informed her of my room number, and said, "i think my ac is broken." She replied, "the main AC unit is broken; someone is fixing it now." I said, "oh good. I thought it was just my room that was getting hot." (Given that I am a 7-month pregnant female, alone, at 9:30 at night, I wasn't looking forward to the possibility of having a repair man in my hotel room at that time, nor was i looking forward to the possibility of changing rooms.) the front desk clerk replied, "well, it's just as hot down here as it is in your room. What else do you want us to do about it?" I was shocked beyond belief that a customer service representative would respond to a paying customer that way!!!! Besides the fact that she didn't have to sleep in a sweltering room, and that she wasn't paying $180/night to sleep in a hot room, she shouldn't have talked that way!

Another example: when I checked out, the hotel had me listed as staying there for extra days. I asked for my final bill at the time of check-out, but i was leery given the *stellar* employees that i had encoutered during my stay. A few days later, while i was submitting my travel expenses to my company, I called to make sure the bill i had received was my final bill. When I called, I spoke to another front desk employee, and asked if he could fax or email my final bill to me. He replied, "didn't you get one at check-out?" and i said yes, but I wanted to verify that the amount listed was correct, since the hotel had me checking out on a different day. He said, "well, you got your final bill when you checked out; what's the problem and why do you need another copy now?" EXCUSE me??

Other than the rudeness of the staff, the cleaning service left much to be desired. Everyday, they would miss something: no new coffee bags; didn't take old towels; forgot to leave new towels; left refrigerator door open; forgot a number of times to take the trash; didn't vacuum; etc.

Obviously, I could go on and on. The city of DC was wonderful, and everyone in the city was extremely hospitable and accomodating. Too bad this hotel wasn't.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was very sorry to learn that your stay with us was not a more enjoyable one. I have shared your comments with our staff. We hope you will give us another opportunity to better demonstrate the abilities of our staff and facilities.

Gypsum, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

This hotel was a great location and price for us, traveling with a teenage son. Room choices were 2 doubles or 1 king with a roll out (extra $15/day). We chose the king with rollout, corner room which is a little bigger. We had great views of the city. Room was very quiet. Hotel staff friendly and responsive. The sushi bar was amazingly great, beyond anything we expected from a hotel restaurant. The restaurant in general was excellent. Our room came with complimentary breakfast buffet which included made-to-order omelets. Shuttle service was dependable, taking us to the Pentagon City Metro terminal for easy access to Washington DC sites. There was a very minimal learning curve to using the metro service (subway). People everywhere were always quick to offer advice or direct us as needed. We had a great trip, tried to see it all but that was impossible for only 4 full days so I'm sure we'll be back & I would definitely consider staying at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center. Also, they have free evening shuttle service to Old Town Alexandria so we got to visit that area and enjoyed a fabulous meal at the Fish Market Restaurant on King Street. Washington DC definitely has a "foodie" aspect that was especially fun for our family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
We hope we can be of service to you again in the future!

columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

The room and bathroom was completely spotless. Everyone was absolutely wonderful and helpful. Check in and checkout was speedy. You just melt in the bed...it was the most comfortable bed and best pillows.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for the kind words about our staff.
We hope to be of service to you again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Avoid this hotel at all costs! I am a big fan of Hilton and am a rewards member, but I will never stay at this hotel again. Dirty rooms, dirty hallways, carpet needs to be replaced throughout the hotel, bad location, terrible maid service, incidental charges, and a pompous, self-serving manager. This guy takes the cake! The rudest ever!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent hotel stay. I was very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant stay, and would welcome the opportunity to discuss it with you further.
Channahon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

My confirmation did not include any indication there would be a $50.00 (per day) incidental charge, charged to my "debit card" when checking into the hotel. I was so upset, because my total went from $159.00 to $209.00 per day (for 3 days) and I would have to wait 5 to14 days to receive a refund for the incidental charge of $150.00. They said it wasn't a charge to my debit card, but the $150.00 was being held. To me it's the same thing, because the money would not be available (in my checking acount) for 5 to 14 days after checking out of the hotel.

Furthermore, I was there for a 3 1/2 day business conference, which was being held in their hotel. After compaining about the incidental charges they were waived, but the fact remains this should have been stated in my confirmation when I booked my room.

I also discovered during my stay that I could have booked my room through a travel webite (in advance) for $109.00 instead of $159.00 per night. I don't understand this, because everyone at the business conference was supposed to have received a group rate. I guess our group rate included the cost of reserving the meeting rooms, which should have been covered by the company holding the conference.

Overall, the hotel was a nice clean place to stay with free shuttle service that runs every 30 minutes. Beware, there are no other restaurants in the area except for the hotel, which was pretty pricey. The hotel was nice, but I depend on people's reviews and wanted to provide my experiences as well.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our Hotel. While I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, I was sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by the authorization processed on your debit card. Such authorizations create the ability to access services such as High Speed Internet, Telephone, In-Room Movies and signing priveleges in the hotel restaurants and bars. Unused autorizations are credited upon departure.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to be of service to you again soon.

Glen Rock, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

This hotel was a comfortable stay for a 2 nights visit for business. I was given a corner king that was very spacious. The concierge and front desk were very professional and always helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The close proximity to DC and the Georgetown area was great. Getting a cab from the hotel was easy and the staff was always there to assist. There’s really nothing that stood out against this hotel. I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable visit. Thank you for the kind words about our staff.

We look forward to being of service to you again soon.