“Good for business travelers, not for families or elderly” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Parking & Wifi Deal!
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good for business travelers, not for families or elderly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

I stayed here for one week with an elderly parent and a child. There are accessibility problems for travelers with mobility problems: There are only three handicapped parking spaces in the parking garage, and they were always full. Also, the only handicapped accessible entrance door to the hotel from the garage did not open easily: The push button didn't work from the outside and it was heavy to pull open. Due to poorly planned drainage there is constant standing water at this door. This is a slip hazard.
Originally we had requested a handicapped accessible room with two double beds, however when we checked in we were told that our room had one king bed, and that we would need to get a rollaway bed for my 10 year old niece. She wasn't very happy with that solution, to say the least. Since I was guaranteed a room that was supposed to sleep four, I didn't consider a rollaway a very good compromise. At one point we were startled to find someone trying to gain access to our room with a key card. It turned out that they had been assigned to our (occupied!) room, and issued a new key card! This was a serious security lapse, and really scared my niece.
Another problem is that the hotel hasn't separated the business and pleasure uses very well... They book formal events (such as wedding receptions) in the lobbies, which you have to walk through in order to get to the parking garage or the pool. They recently had to add a fence around the pool, so now you have to enter the "Executive Meeting Room" hallway in order to get to the pool! It's somewhat embarrassing for all concerned to go past meeting rooms while dressed in a bathingsuit and coverup, with wet hair and flip flops! (The pool is also ridiculously small for a hotel of this size).
Finally, the lobby area in front of the restaurant is used as a smoking area, and the lobby frequently reeks of cigar smoke. Yuk.
Overall, this hotel is fine for business travelers, I suppose, but for vacationing families it isn't very well laid out.

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

My family stayed as part of a conference (needless to say our room rate wasn't a cheap one, but then the conference picked up the room cost). I found the employees to be very courteous and friendly, with no language barriers. The restuarant was very good and the staff were great with our family of six, which includes very young children and babies. I had no problems logging in with my laptop computer, but internet access does cost about $9 a day for inroom service. Unlike many Hilton Hotels, there is no free internet access in the business center. I never saw anyone using the business center and I suspect it was because the rate to use the computer is a $3 log in fee and 58 cents per minute! Transportation is actually fairly easy. There is a bus stop right behind the motel (pond side, go to the end of the street and turn left, less than 1/2 block) and that bus goes directly to the King Street subway station. My husband didn't have any trouble taking the bus to the subway to the zoo in DC with four kids. I don't think many people know about the bus stop, though, because no one seemed to mention it on the reviews. Nearby (within 5 minutes) is a grocery (Giant Foods), a CVS pharmacy, a dry cleaner, and a few restaurants (Clydes is good - try the aspargus salad!) The hotel pool is a little odd - it was built to be able to swim from the inside to the outside, but the outside is closed b/c of the safety problem (no fence). There is also an arboretum about a few blocks away (sorry can't remember the name!) Anyway, I'd definitely recommend staying here if you can get a cheap room rate. BTW, the corner tower rooms have a better view - they are sort of rounded and have one king bed and a refrigerator.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

Purchased this hotel on Hotwire to stay May 28-31, 2006. It shows as a 3 star hotel, however, my opinon is that it does not deserve that high of a rating. Hilton should be ashamed. I did recieve a very good rate of $65 per room, per night, plus tax. The website says that they have an indoor/outdoor pool, but please be advised that the indoor portion of the pool is more of a kiddy pool (very small and shallow). The outside of the pool was not open and the employee said that he did not know when it would open because there is not a fence around the pool. Before traveling, I called the hotel and inquired as to whether there is a laundry facility for guests to use. I was told yes, so I packed lightly, on the pretense that I would be doing laundry midway through the trip. When I was ready to do laundry, the staff informed me that there was no laundry facility, after all. The elevators were very, very slow. At times taking almost 15 minutes to arrive.
Upon check in, I specifically asked for both of our rooms to not be directly located near the elevator. Low and behold, both rooms (on different floors) were right across from the elevator door. When I asked for another room, again away from the elevator, the room this time was two doors to the left of my original room (I am still next to the elevator!!!???) The elevator noise was luckily muffled by the older, loud air conditioner in my room. We found that throughout our stay, we had many language barriers with the hotel employees.
The hotel is not situated near any restuarants, however, there is a 7-11 near some apartments on Seminary Rd. (about 1 block away). The hotel restaurant was quite expensive, but good. The bar happy hour, has the appetizers at half price 4-7pm.
The hotel shuttle will make two stops: 1. Airport 2. The Fashion Centre Mall which is a good place to go for shopping or dining in the food court. Also, the Metro is located in the downstairs mall entrance. The shuttle is scheduled to come by the Fashion Centre Mall to pick up guests at 10 minutes and 40 minutes after each hour until 11pm. One night, we sat in the heat for one hour waiting and the shuttle driver never showed up.
King St. in Alexandria is considered "Old Town" and has nice restaurants and shops that are located near the water. It is difficult to get there from this hotel, without hiring a taxi, if you do not have a car.
The ice machine on our floor did not work, so I went to two other floors to retrieve ice, to find out that the ice machines didn't work there, either. The ice machine rooms and the stairwells were very, very, dirty.
Would I stay there again? Definitely, not.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

Stayed here in Jan 06 for $70 a night through Priceline. Hotel is very large and had alot of conferences going on during our visit. There are two sides to the hotel. The mail hotel where the tower is, and the seasonal side which is connected to the main side via a long corridor.
I stayed on the less inhabited seasonal side which had a jacuzzi in each room. The rooms are what you'd expect from a Hilton. The pool seems to be seasonal too since the indoor and outdoor pool are connected. The fitness room was fairly small, but adequate. The only draw back to this hotel is that there are no restaurants or convenience stores nearby. I had to drive about 3 or 4 miles to find anything. Overall I would definitely stay here again. Just bring food.

• Stayed January 2006
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

I initially checked into this hotel for 2 days on a business trip. I parked in the self-parking before I checked in. I checked in using the kiosk. I didn't get the room I wanted. It alloted me a room with accessibility options even though I didn't need any of those features. The daily parking is $9. To nullify the parking ticket and to put it on my room, I stood in line at the Front desk. There was only one person at the Front desk for such a big hotel and she was on the phone for a long time, ignoring me. After 10 minutes, another guy showed up, took the room card to charge $9 to my room. The room was spacious. Bath tub is old with yellow patches all over. I am supposed to have wireless internet access for a $10 per day when so many hotels provide it for free. When I login, got connected but the Hilton page never showed up and couldn't surf. Called the Technical Customer support. After 2 reps and 2 hours on phone and rebooting of my laptop several times nothing seem to work. The Tech rep tried rebooting couple of switches but finally gave up. Even for 1-800 calls, the Hotel charges after an hour!! There were two water bottles in the room with a note saying $5 will be billed to your room if you open!! In the morning I noticed that there was no ironing table. I called Front desk and it never arrived. Because of all these problems, I cut short my stay from 2 days to one day checked out with a bill of >$300 for one day stay!! The only thing I liked is the comfortable bed and Room service. I ordered breakfast the previous night and it arrived on time in the morning. I would never stay at this hotel again. It's a big rip off. Also, beware that you need to cancel your reservation a day before when almost all the hotels let you cancel up to 4 or 6 PM the day you arrive. The service is way far below the four star rating. I ended up checking into Best Western Fairfax the next day which is a two star hotel but is far better than this Hilton.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend, and although the hotel is very nice, it is not within walking distance of a metro stop. The free shuttle, provided by the hotel, was easy to catch at the hotel but coming back from Pentagon city you had to be there right when it got there or you would miss it. We had a very nice corner room with a great view. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of places to eat in the area-the restaurant in the hotel was okay if you liked seafood, unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't so that was a problem and we ended up ordering room service, which was expensive.

Stayed March 2006
South TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

We stayed here March 17th, and loved it. We had a room in the retreat, that was really spacious with an in room fridge. We used the complimentary shuttle to get into DC, and were given 2 free breakfasts for being Hilton Gold members. Also got a terrific rate ($59) on Priceline. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Loved it, and would stay again.

Been to Hilton Alexandria Mark Center? Share your experiences!